Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My worst NL team going into the auction ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My worst NL team going into the auction ever!

Going for it. Flags fly forever. Yada yada yada. I traded everything of value to make the run in my NL only keeper. Now it is time to pay the piper.

It is an NL only 5x5 going to OBP next year in place of ave. $260 budget 12 teams.

I can keep 12 but have no minimum. The "and done" players with the exception of Schwarber were FA pick ups that we can keep next year if we want to.

Here is what is left:

C- Tucker Barnhart- 2A

C-Devin Mesoraco-7A

SS-Ketel Marte-10A

OF-A.J. Pollock 21B will give a 1 yr ($5) raise to $26

OF- Kyle Schwarber 20 and done

OF-Pat Valaika 7 and done

OF-Harrison Bader 14 and done

2B- Adam Frazier 2A

1B- Eric Thames 20A

MI-T.J. Rivera 14 and done

P-Fernando Rodney -10B no raise

P-Brandon McCarthy -10A

P-Jose Urena-6 and done

P-R.A. Dickey 1A

P-Kyle Freeland -6 and done

I think I have 8 or 9 what do you all think?
    Last edited by Gregg; 10-31-2017, 09:23 AM.

C- Tucker Barnhart- 2A - yes, I would, especially in a 2C league (1)
    C-Devin Mesoraco-7A - no, no faith he plays
    SS-Ketel Marte-10A - yes, I think I would, I think they find a place for him to play (2)
    OF-A.J. Pollock 21B will give a 1 yr ($5) raise to $26 - agreed, if only so he has some trade value, though I think he's peaked and don't love him at 26 (3)
    OF- Kyle Schwarber 20 and done - I'd be trying really hard to trade him. I'm just not a Schwarber guy. At best .240-30HR as an OF? Maybe OBP makes him a better keeper?
    OF-Pat Valaika 7 and done - no
    OF-Harrison Bader 14 and done - no
    2B- Adam Frazier 2A - yes, I would, I think he finds 300 ABs, move to OBP hurts (4)
    1B- Eric Thames 20A - hell yes, Schwarber with some speed and probably a better OBP (5)
    MI-T.J. Rivera 14 and done - no

P-Fernando Rodney -10B no raise - ugh, I mean, I guess if he has a job? (6)
    P-Brandon McCarthy -10A - no
    P-Jose Urena-6 and done - maybe? I think he backslides a bit, but 1.27 WHIP, 3.82 ERA, 14 wins, 113 Ks, probably worth 10-12, so backslide still worth 6? Keep if you see upside
    P-R.A. Dickey 1A - no
    P-Kyle Freeland -6 and done - no

So I see 6 plus Schwarber + Urena

Comment

FWIW ... I was in this situation once in my old AL league - I decided to totally do a stars & scrubs approach (ended up keeping 2 players who fit that) with the intent of getting a bunch of good sub$5 players, and some studs who I could flip for the best keepers available at the break if needed. It wasn't that I was throwing away the season - if a bunch of those cheap players came up big I could have gone for it ... but if they didn't I wanted to position myself to have the ultimate keeper list for the next season.

As it turned out they didn't, and in June I started to build my perfect keeper list - while it wasn't as awesome as I had hoped (there were fewer teams dumping than I would have liked) I still was able to put together a great & super-cheap keeper list.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...hlight=anatomy

you might want to consider what I did in early March 2017. I recognized that I had no studs for any price, and my "best" keep was going to be Aledmys Diaz 5-S1 (guh) or Adam Duvall 10-L2 (yay). with the high inflation in my league giving me no hope of contending with that list, I looked around at other team rosters for possible dealing.

the guy who owned Kershaw for 44-O was fond of my Grichuk 9-0 who he bought in 2015. he had leaned against keeping Kershaw anyway, so getting Grichuk for a year seemed appealing to him.

same thing happened with the Maeda 19-S1 owner, and I acquired him for the rights to farmhand Ozzie Albies (5-S1 next year). with a 4-unit Hellickson (oops), I felt as if I could go cheap on my other 6 P slots and break the bank on hitters.

same philosophy as you - if the gambles didn't pay off, I could get plenty for Kershaw at midseason (as I did in mid-2016 dumping).

let's just say it worked out
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Yeah, this season I came into my NL only league with a pretty meh keeper list, though I did have a $45 Kershaw. I tried to build a pitching staff around a bunch of $1 and $2 guys and let Kershaw protect the ratios, buy a couple of stud hitters and take a bunch of $1 fliers. I kept Tommy Pham for a buck which was nice. My big investments (Cueto, Braun, Fowler) didn't pay off at all, but I got a $1 Austin Barnes and a $5 Ketel Marte out of the deal. (and a $1 Spangenberg, and a $1 Tucker Barnhart, and an $8 Kolten Wong...)

I stuck to my guns and finished 4th, but now I'm still not in a great position so I'll be running back the same plan again, sans Kershaw but with a $48 Stanton who I acquired in trade.

Comment

Thanks for the dialog gentlemen.

If I go with JC's picks and add Schwarber and Urena (for now). I would have spent $96 of 260. $164 going into this auction is not bad.

There is going to be a lot of talent and money going back into this auction. A lot of contracts have expired many of them on my roster.

I can't see keeping both Thames and Schwarber. One has to go. It appears that Thames is the prefered pick over Schwarber. Is that right?

Kershaw is back in. As is Scherzer and Bumgarner. I think I have to have one of Scherzer or Kershaw. It will be expensive.

Comment

I'm jealous - Scherzer and Bumgarner are likely keeps.

best available are probably Kershaw, deGrom, Carlos Martinez, and Hendricks. I'll be going up the ladder!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                I'm jealous - Scherzer and Bumgarner are likely keeps.

best available are probably Kershaw, deGrom, Carlos Martinez, and Hendricks. I'll be going up the ladder!
                What are their salaries?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  What are their salaries?
                  Scherzer will be 39-O and Bumgarner will be 40-S1 - thought the latter was 35; at 40, he might well get tossed back in

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Scherzer will be 39-O and Bumgarner will be 40-S1 - thought the latter was 35; at 40, he might well get tossed back in
                    I would sign up for that right now and add the $79 bucks to my keeper list.

Comment

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...hlight=anatomy

you might want to consider what I did in early March 2017. I recognized that I had no studs for any price, and my "best" keep was going to be Aledmys Diaz 5-S1 (guh) or Adam Duvall 10-L2 (yay). with the high inflation in my league giving me no hope of contending with that list, I looked around at other team rosters for possible dealing.

the guy who owned Kershaw for 44-O was fond of my Grichuk 9-0 who he bought in 2015. he had leaned against keeping Kershaw anyway, so getting Grichuk for a year seemed appealing to him.

same thing happened with the Maeda 19-S1 owner, and I acquired him for the rights to farmhand Ozzie Albies (5-S1 next year). with a 4-unit Hellickson (oops), I felt as if I could go cheap on my other 6 P slots and break the bank on hitters.

same philosophy as you - if the gambles didn't pay off, I could get plenty for Kershaw at midseason (as I did in mid-2016 dumping).

let's just say it worked out
                      We just finished out winter meetings man oh man.

We had our Winter Waiver draft. Once that is complete we can commence to trading. We had to cut our rosters down to 19. We get to pick from the dropped players in order from last to first. If you pick one you have to drop one for the second round if you unless you are under the 19.

I had 3 players targeted all went before I could pick. A $15 Luke Weaver was dropped and available in the second round. As you can see from my keeper list above I had plenty of room so I grabbed him as a speculative pick.

I traded my 3rd round pick for a $50a Goldschmidt (he kept his $46 Rizzo and $42 Arenado)and his 6th round pick. Blackmon and Votto are the two best offensive players back in the auction.

Then the real trading began.

After the smoke cleared; here is my current roster.

C)-Barnardt 2a
                      C)-Yadier Molina 10b
                      1B)-Goldschmidt 50a
                      2B) DJ LeMahieu 13x
                      SS) Valaika 7x
                      MI)
                      3B)
                      Cr)
                      OF) Keon Broxton 4b
                      OF) Kyle Schwarber 20x
                      OF)
                      OF)
                      OF)
                      UT)

P) Strasburg 34a
                      P)Familia 13x
                      P) Wade Davis 25a
                      P) Matz 10x
                      P) Luke Weaver 15x
                      P) Urena 6x
                      P)
                      P)
                      P)

Rookie- Cory Ray 5F (when activated)

I will have to cut this list by at least two players. Most likely Weaver and Urena. Gives me 77 for 11 players.

Of course I am not done trading yet (I hope).

Comment

C)-Barnardt 2a
                        C)-Yadier Molina 10b
                        1B)-Goldschmidt 50a
                        2B) Drury 9b
                        SS)
                        MI) Chris Taylor 5x
                        3B)
                        Cr) Freddie Freeman 30b
                        OF) Keon Broxton 4b
                        OF) Kyle Schwarber 20x
                        OF)
                        OF)
                        OF)
                        UT)Austin Hedges 7A

P) Strasburg 34a
                        P)
                        P) Wade Davis 25a
                        P)
                        P)
                        P)
                        P)
                        P)
                        P)

Gives me 74 to fill 13 spots at auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          C)-Barnardt 2a
                          C)-Yadier Molina 10b
                          1B)-Goldschmidt 50a
                          2B) Drury 9b
                          SS)
                          MI) Chris Taylor 5x
                          3B)
                          Cr) Freddie Freeman 30b
                          OF) Keon Broxton 4b
                          OF) Kyle Schwarber 20x
                          OF)
                          OF)
                          OF)
                          UT)Austin Hedges 7A

P) Strasburg 34a
                          P)
                          P) Wade Davis 25a
                          P)
                          P)
                          P)
                          P)
                          P)
                          P)

Gives me 74 to fill 13 spots at auction.
                          Are you happy with your roster and the amount that you have to spend at auction?
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                            Are you happy with your roster and the amount that you have to spend at auction?
                            i am happier with this roster than I was when I started. As a re-builder this roster has good value for trading after the auction. No one can keep more than 14 including rookies. 2 can only keep 10. I can only keep 12.

I am not afraid to go into the auction with this amount of money. We get a mulligan on draft day. If the more expensive players get tossed back I could drop Goldy and have $124 going in. I do not expect that to happen.

Hopefully some owners that have a lot of money and too many keepers will want to trade.

This is step 1 of my rebuild for 2019.

Comment

So I just traded my $20x Schwarber and $7A Hedges for $20A Puig.

Now my roster looks like this:

C)-Barnardt 2a
                              C)-Yadier Molina 10b
                              1B)-Goldschmidt 50a
                              2B) Drury 9b
                              SS)
                              MI) Chris Taylor 5x
                              3B)
                              Cr) Freddie Freeman 30b
                              OF) Keon Broxton 4b
                              OF) Yasiel Puig 20A
                              OF)
                              OF)
                              OF)
                              UT)

P) Strasburg 34a
                              P)
                              P) Wade Davis 25a
                              P)
                              P)
                              P)
                              P)
                              P)
                              P)

Last edited by Gregg; 02-02-2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X