MLB Expansion take

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Expansion take

At the risk of giving the so-called baseball "purists" a heart attack, check out Tracy Ringolsby's take on potential MLB expansion and resulting realignment. This would be so cool for the people who want full-time DH (and no NL or AL!!)

yeah, I read this a couple of days ago & was going to post something here as well ... I'm still absorbing it but overall I think I kind of like it. I prefer no DH but it's not a show-stopper for me; it's an interesting take with the shorter season (by 6 games) supposedly offset by dramatically less travel ... tho I'm not sure how the Twins end up in what's otherwise a north-east division.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Joe Sheehan has been pushing for contraction not expansion, and I happen to agree with him.

If there is expansion, I'd like to see it in Cuba, not Portland
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
        At the risk of giving the so-called baseball "purists" a heart attack, check out Tracy Ringolsby's take on potential MLB expansion and resulting realignment. This would be so cool for the people who want full-time DH (and no NL or AL!!)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/colum...h93V58WE6J0.97
        What is "the so-called baseball purists?"

I like having the AL and the NL with a World Series. Is that bad. I enjoy many traditions and would hate to see this one go away.

Does that make me a so-called purist?

Comment

TRavis Sawchik also had an article about this today at FG:

If and when MLB expands to 32 teams, such growth would allow for improved alignment and scheduling.

Manfred has said that he wants to solve the "stadium" issues in Oakland and Tampa before expanding, tho. I dont see either of these situations being resolved any time soon so I dont think expansion will be happening for a while. With the creation of MLB team territories, MLB has painted itself into a corner re: not only expansion but relocating existing franchises. Unless the new or relocating team is willing to cede significant revenues to the existing team in its area (or the league pays significant compensation somehow to the existing team), I dont see how expansion or relocation w/i the US is going to happen. That is why MLB is looking to other countries for expansion. Montreal is a very viable option if they can get a new downtown stadium. But the other new franchise is going to be difficult. I dont see any city in Mexico being a viable option and Puerto Rico and DR are even worse (I've been to all these places). And I dont see any other viable Canadian cities either. Vancouver might be the most viable place but the NBA tried a franchise there and it didnt last long.

Comment

There's too many shitty pitchers already in MLB. No expansion please!!
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              There's too many shitty pitchers already in MLB. No expansion please!!
              Expansion would not change that for better or worse. The most plentiful resource in baseball is marginal players, even more than marginal pitchers. What happens is that a lot of guys worth 30-70 IP will get will get 5 more IP, A few more guys get all they can handle and a few more guys get cups of coffee. The change is spread too thin to notice without analytical tools.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I suppose Only leagues could continue on as is by just using "former" NL and AL teams, but it would get pretty strange with an unbalanced schedule.

Sucks for long time only leaguers such as myself.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                  ... Sucks for long time only leaguers such as myself.
                  I don't think this proposal really has any legs at all ... purely theoretical at this point
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post

If and when MLB expands to 32 teams, such growth would allow for improved alignment and scheduling.

Manfred has said that he wants to solve the "stadium" issues in Oakland and Tampa before expanding, tho. I dont see either of these situations being resolved any time soon so I dont think expansion will be happening for a while. With the creation of MLB team territories, MLB has painted itself into a corner re: not only expansion but relocating existing franchises. Unless the new or relocating team is willing to cede significant revenues to the existing team in its area (or the league pays significant compensation somehow to the existing team), I dont see how expansion or relocation w/i the US is going to happen. That is why MLB is looking to other countries for expansion. Montreal is a very viable option if they can get a new downtown stadium. But the other new franchise is going to be difficult. I dont see any city in Mexico being a viable option and Puerto Rico and DR are even worse (I've been to all these places). And I dont see any other viable Canadian cities either. Vancouver might be the most viable place but the NBA tried a franchise there and it didnt last long.
                    The A's have already committed to a new park. I think 2021 (maybe) is the target date for opening.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post

I agree this is an issue. I think it helps Portland compare to the rest of the US, though. Seattle has the worst travel schedule. Making things more regional and giving them another team close by has value to them. I also think MLB can find a way to kick in a little more money to the Mariners than everybody else. There aren't a lot of possible expansion cities that really only have to placate one team. Charlotte? Yikes. Vegas? Oh my.

It seems weird to say, but you could almost plan to put a small market team in Portland. Give them a 30k seat stadium and it won't cost quite as much. Figure out a way to let the Ms keep a decent chunk of the Pacific NW market for TV purposes.

Comment

Working...
                      X