OBP questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBP questions.

Our only leagues are going to OBP next year. I have never played anything but BA.

For those that play in OBP leagues can you tell me what is leading the category and what is midway.

I would also appreciate any tips you might want to share.

18 team mixed...leader is .354, lowest is .320, several teams in the middle at .337.

Frankly, I like it a lot better than AVE, because I think that it gets closer to a players actual value. Not to mention that a low average guy with other skills is a much more valuable add in OBP. Love Matt Olson because he's got a great eye and power...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

12 team a.l. only

leader is .3425

last place is .3127

3-10 ranger is .3336 - .3207

Much prefer on base % to batting average

Comment

I would like to change my Al only league to OBP - But some don't want to make the change ( Tradition argument)

So lets hear the Argument - So I can Dazzle them .
        OBP vs Average.

Begin...

Comment

Originally posted by hacko View Post
          I would like to change my Al only league to OBP - But some don't want to make the change ( Tradition argument)

So lets hear the Argument - So I can Dazzle them .
          OBP vs Average.

Begin...
          % takes into account hpb, bb, both occurrences get you on base, which is what a batters' ultimate goal is

Comment

TBH, I think the argument for replacing HRs with Slug is stronger than OBP over BA. 2Bs and 3Bs are much more valuable than BBs and HBPs. We've been using both since '03.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              TBH, I think the argument for replacing HRs with Slug is stronger than OBP over BA. 2Bs and 3Bs are much more valuable than BBs and HBPs. We've been using both since '03.
              In addition to changing over to on base %, we also changed hr to total bases

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                In addition to changing over to on base %, we also changed hr to total bases
                Yep, equally valid. I just preferred Slug because it balances the two hitting ratio categories with the two pitching ratios.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

So what do you do with a $1 Valbuena in an AL only deep keeper league that is going to OBP next year.

He has 22 hrs. His OBP is only .289 this year, but it was .357 last year, .310 the year before and .341 the year before that. It almost seems like he would be a good $1 gamble?

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Thanks for the replies.

So what do you do with a $1 Valbuena in an AL only deep keeper league that is going to OBP next year.

He has 22 hrs. His OBP is only .289 this year, but it was .357 last year, .310 the year before and .341 the year before that. It almost seems like he would be a good $1 gamble?

Thoughts?
                    For a buck? Hell yeah he's worth the gamble...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                    X