NL Keepers for 2018 -- Looking Ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Keepers for 2018 -- Looking Ahead

My NL-only 5x5 team was a rebuilding project, so spent much of the season in the cellar. Pretty excited about next year as a result. Would love to hear your input on keepers, contract extensions, trade candidates, etc. We keep 7 major leaguers and up to 3 minors guys. 12 teams. Thanks!

Corey Seager $8 / option year -- extend to $18 for three years?
    Ryan Zimmerman $9
    Ozzie Albies $8
    Felipe Rivero $1
    Zack Greinke $18
    Raimel Tapia $8
    Jesse Winker $8
    Luis Castillo $10
    Jose Martinez $2
    Dansby Swanson $16 / option -- would not extend
    Alex Reyes $9 (believe he can be kept as a minor leaguer as long as he doesn't start the season in the majors)

I see five locks: Seager, Zimmerman, Albies, Rivero, Greinke.
    Beyond that, I would keep Reyes as a minor leaguer. So that leaves two major league slots. I think it's 2 from this group: Tapia, Castillo, Martinez.

Agree? Disagree?

Zimmerman will likely decline significantly next year. I would see what you might get for him.

Castillo for me is an absolute keeper.

Winker is worth consideration. Can see him replacing Schebler next season.Showing some power now as well.

Yes on extension to Seager.

Comment

hell yes on extending Seager as far as you can go
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I see it like this:

LOCKS:
        Seager to $18
        Albies
        Rivero

TRADE FOR VALUE
        Zimmerman- Way too risky, in my opinion. If you can get higher/younger/healthier upside, take it.
        Greinke- This pitcher makes me insane. He'll likely be worth more than $18 next year, but I'm not certain there's much value wrapped up in this salary. Trade him for value.
        Castillo- I like him a good deal, but I see a sophomore slump coming that's going to make 2018 ugly. I think 2019 is the year to own him.
        Swanson- Take what you can. Your MI is looking good with Seager and Albies already.

BEST OF THE REST
        Winker- If this is an OBP league, I'd put him in the LOCKS category if he has a starting gig, and maybe if he doesn't. If the power we're seeing holds, he's a gem. He could be Votto-lite. (Mini-Votto? Proto-Votto?)
        Tapia- This kid REALLY needed the Rockies to suck this year and they just didn't suck enough. I think he'll be lucky to have a regular 4th OF gig, which is a shame because he's worth a better shot than that. Depending on whom they move in the offseason, he is still behind Dahl and will have to fight off Patterson (which SHOULD happen, but is still a thing that HAS to happen). Also, Rodgers is going to need a place to play soon, which mean that's more competition for an OF spot from somewhere. I like Tapia, but he's in a tight spot, and I wouldn't spend $8 on him with confidence. If I couldn't trade him for a ton, I'd probably toss him back and hope two other guys bid him to $18, which could easily happen given his upside.

Without any trades, I'd keep Seager, Albies, Rivero, Swanson, Castillo, Zimmerman and Winker. And I'd keep an ever-watchful eye on Tapia.

Of course, keep Reyes as an MLer, if you can.

Comment

Working...
        X