Billy Hamilton - fractured left thumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Hamilton - fractured left thumb

This could impact a few pennant races...

Billy Hamilton left the game with a fractured left thumb. He is expected to go on the 10-day DL

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/905517498556141568

every season...evvvvvvvery season...(or so it seems. He dives in OF or headfirst slides or has some other fluke thumb injury)...
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

Comment

This injury is could be the difference between 1st and 4th for me. In this particular league, that's about a $3500 difference in payout.

I just hope some other guys pick up the slack.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
        This injury is could be the difference between 1st and 4th for me. In this particular league, that's about a $3500 difference in payout.

I just hope some other guys pick up the slack.
        $3500. That's insane money for a fantasy league. I would NEVER put up any serious money for something where I have no control over the performances of the players.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          $3500. That's insane money for a fantasy league. I would NEVER put up any serious money for something where I have no control over the performances of the players.
          Probably a 16 team league or bigger for that kind of payout.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

it's like playing poker. You prepare and hope your knowledge, skill + luck = cashing

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              it's like playing poker. You prepare and hope your knowledge, skill + luck = cashing
              Wrong.

In poker you can control your hand by actually playing. In fantasy sports you rely on others to produce.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

you are insane.

(to clarify, "you" is Mith, not Dane.)
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                  you are insane.

(to clarify, "you" is Mith, not Dane.)
                  How so? Fantasy ball is so much luck. Sigh. Ive been over this ad naseum. When you arent the one actually playing.....forget it.

Comment

How so? Fantasy ball is so much luck. Sigh. Ive been over this ad naseum. When you arent the one actually playing.....forget it.
                    There clearly is luck involved in fantasy baseball but there very much has a skill/knowledge aspect too. You can't control if another player calls with bottom pair and hits trips on the river, how is this different then miggy, age 34 and virtually never injured before, being injured most of the season?

Comment

I've seen your comments before. I agree that there's luck. But saying it's more luck-based than poker? You literally think you have less knowledge about what a baseball player will do than the value of an unknown card? Or that you make more decisions or more educated decisions in a hand of poker than in a fantasy baseball season? Do you think you would have done as well this year if you'd selected players randomly? I think you'd have more success in a heads-up poker game playing randomly than choosing players randomly.

Last edited by mjl; 09-07-2017, 10:46 PM.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

First off, you can't compare DFS to season-long fantasy. No comparison whatsoever. The top DFS players can play in thousands of games per day.

Secondly, there's a degree of luck in everything. Season long stats in baseball have been proven time and time again to mean something in predicting future medium-term success (i.e. The next season). Can you predict injuries or suspensions? Not really. But we can predict, to a reasonable degree, that Billy Hamilton was going to steal 50+ bases with a .300ish OBP with a few HRs and RBIs. And guess what, he did almost exactly that. Could you have predicted your next hand in poker?

Comment

Working...
                        X