question on original roto rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on original roto rules

I participated in a new league this year. A long established high dollar keeper that has a number of guys who have been in league 20+ years. League has what is to me an unusual rule, that they claim was in original rules set forth by Glen Waggoneer back in the ancient scrolls, back in pre cell phone days. September expansion, contenders have option to for from 23 active, to 28 active, costing $15 extra per player. These would not be keepers so someone like me lower in standings would not go for this. Is this a league rule anyone remembers, or uses?

Yeah, our league used to have September roster expansion. The upside was that you could pick up some extra numbers for your team in the final weeks of the season. The downside was: 1) Since everyone played "only" (single-league) in those days, nobody had much to pull up to the active roster that wasn't already there, and 2) The $15 per player was an actual cost that you threw into the league pot to become part of the prize money. As a result, the only people who really used it much were those in the hunt.

Keep in mind that these were not additional players that you could add onto your team. It was just allowing you to add players from your bench to your active roster. Typically, there would only be two or three players who were added per team. In only leagues which had full ownership quotas, there just weren't a lot of extra players.*

*(The FAAB period ended prior to September callups, so as to prevent teams from loading their rosters with cheap young talent. The founding fathers were adamant about that.)
    Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 09-01-2017, 06:59 AM.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

My league has been (generally) using founding father's rules since inception in '94-'95, and we still use their old books and constitution to settle rules disputes, but we decided early on that expansion was a bad idea (for us, anyway).

Also, to make that rule have any teeth, the fee must be relative to the overall pot size (you mentioned high dollar).
      One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

We allow roster expansion from 23 to 26 starting Sept. 1 st. These have to come from our own reserve team.

It costs $25.00 in real dollars for each slot expanded.

I took all three in my NL only as I am trying to win.

I passed in my AL only as I am rebuilding and will save the real money.

Comment

We allow Expansion - Al only league - 12 man bench - 7 man farm
          1 Batter and 1 Pitcher.

We have if you put 2 in you then can pick up 2 players to fill out your bench to 12

I like it - no money involved in the move - rewards people with good Depth

Comment

My league started with the original 1984 book, and to this day we have ONE add-a-player in September for $5.
            I want to say that the "add more" idea came out a couple of years later, but don't hold me to that.

iirc, you also couldn't touch the 24th man - no waiving, no replacing, no nothing. you get his stats, period (this was an era where you only had 3 waiver moves all year - and you could only grab players waived by other teams. one help was that when a DLd guy returned, you couldn't keep both unless you had another opening to plug in the replacement).

fyi, my 1984 pick was Miguel Dilone.
            one year I added Pascual Perez who went 7-0 in 7 starts in September!
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
            X