Out of Nowhere Breakouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Nowhere Breakouts

As we were discussing in the Washington Nationals thread, let's talk about why and how there are so many breakouts/performance spikes by players no one was on, and how we can potentially spot these players in the future. I'll list a few and let's add to it:

HITTERS
    - Justin Smoak
    - Travis Shaw
    - Mark Reynolds
    - Tommy Pham
    - Brett Gardner
    - Andrelton Simmons
    - Scooter Gennett
    - Marwin Gonzalez
    - Logan Morrison
    - Josh Harrison
    - Yonder Alonso
    - Tim Beckham
    - Zach Cozart
    - Yadier Molina
    - Gerardo Parra
    - Ryan Zimmerman
    - Whit Merrifield
    - Paul DeJong
    - Matt Davidson

PITCHERS
    - Gio Gonzalez
    - Alex Wood
    - Ervin Santana
    - Jason Vargas
    - Brad Peacock
    - Charlie Morton
    - Zach Godley
    - Chase Anderson
    - Chad Green
    - Archie Bradley
    - Jimmy Nelson
    - Chris Taylor
    - CC Sabathia
    - Bud Norris
    - Zach Davies

Vargas has been terrible in the second half. His breakout is now looking like just a good first half and then regressing back to his previous performance level. Reynolds has benefited greatly from playing half of his games in Coors field. He's only hitting .236/.314/.384 on the road this year.

A lot of these guys have shown flashes of brilliance in the past (.ie one great month or great 1st/2nd half) but have never been consistent. I'm betting that a lot of these guys have increased their focus on physical conditioning and/or video prep work to get better results.

Also, don't have time to check, but i wonder how many guys from the list are in a contract year.
    Last edited by madducks; 08-26-2017, 04:00 PM.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Another one for your list...

Chris Taylor?!?!

Comment

Here's another one. C.C.Sabathia? I got him for $1 as an end game selection in my AL-only league, and was actually kicking myself because I figured that $1 would've been better spent on some middle reliever who wouldn't hurt me. Same thing happened me to the previous year when I "accidentally" got J.A.Happ for $2.

Comment

It's probably unfair to include Alex Wood on this list. He's been very good before, and it was always injuries that derailed him, but he always had talent.

Taylor and Sabathia are good ones.

How about Bud Norris? Matt Davidson? Paul DeJong? Whit Merrifield?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            It's probably unfair to include Alex Wood on this list. He's been very good before, and it was always injuries that derailed him, but he always had talent.

Taylor and Sabathia are good ones.

How about Bud Norris? Matt Davidson? Paul DeJong? Whit Merrifield?
            Paul freaking DeJong and Whit Merrifield! Those might be at the top of the list.

Comment

Lets take Zimmerman. Here is a take from Rotowire before the season started:

While a lot of things went very right for the Nationals last year, Zimmerman regaining his swagger was not one of them. He once again couldn't stay off the DL, and even though his 115 games played were his highest total since 2013, he didn't do much with those extra plate appearances, posting a career-low .642 OPS and career-high 22.3 percent strikeout rate. Now 32 years old and with a bad shoulder that limits him to first base, there's little reason for optimism in Zimmerman's future. He didn't even put together his usual big finish to the season, hitting just .222/.259/.333 in 81 at-bats through September and October, although he did show some life in the playoffs. Heading into the final year of his contract, the one-time face of the franchise may find himself slowly pushed to the bench in 2017, as the 21 games Daniel Murphy played at first base could be a sign that the front office no longer views Zimmerman as even a short-term option at the position.

The Nats also signed Lind in the off-season so if I'm reviewing his stats I'm thinking the last seasons have been due to injuries, getting older and with stats declining such as BB, K are going up, less contact, BABIP and isolated power all declining there is no reason to think that at age 32 he could put up the best numbers in his career. The only explanation that I can come up with is that this was the healthiest he has been since 2013. Even given that you have to factor in at age 32 his body is likely to be in decline. The NL league I'm in he went for $11. My thoughts were way too much for him. Yet has turned out to be a huge bargain at that price.

The conclusion that I get out of this is if a player at that age is healthy, has the skills that he has displayed earlier in his career then he could be a bargain going into the season. And then the question comes up how do you know he is healthy other than what is reported. Short of calling his doctor up to get a full medical report that is where the research needs to be and it is still a judgement call. I also think there is a degree of luck involve here.

Thoughts?

Comment

I clearly remember during my 16-team draft the guy in front of me taking Zimmerman in the 17th rd and snickering "Zimmerman, lol. Glad you didn't take my guy!"

He hasn't been spectacular, but Zach Davies has 14 wins.

Comment

I paid $1 for Neris and $2 for Knebel and $5 for AWood and $7 for Lind and kept Kendrick (.330) for $9 and picked up Pham and JNelson and Chacin (11 W) and FRivero early in the season as FA (and just added Ziegler as FA, has 8 SV in 10 scoreless IP so far). also NWilliams as farmhand.

I'd tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya

(and I am an HQ fan in a non-GQ league which helps.)
                  Last edited by Judge Jude; 08-27-2017, 12:52 PM.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                    Lets take Zimmerman. Here is a take from Rotowire before the season started:

While a lot of things went very right for the Nationals last year, Zimmerman regaining his swagger was not one of them. He once again couldn't stay off the DL, and even though his 115 games played were his highest total since 2013, he didn't do much with those extra plate appearances, posting a career-low .642 OPS and career-high 22.3 percent strikeout rate. Now 32 years old and with a bad shoulder that limits him to first base, there's little reason for optimism in Zimmerman's future. He didn't even put together his usual big finish to the season, hitting just .222/.259/.333 in 81 at-bats through September and October, although he did show some life in the playoffs. Heading into the final year of his contract, the one-time face of the franchise may find himself slowly pushed to the bench in 2017, as the 21 games Daniel Murphy played at first base could be a sign that the front office no longer views Zimmerman as even a short-term option at the position.

The Nats also signed Lind in the off-season so if I'm reviewing his stats I'm thinking the last seasons have been due to injuries, getting older and with stats declining such as BB, K are going up, less contact, BABIP and isolated power all declining there is no reason to think that at age 32 he could put up the best numbers in his career. The only explanation that I can come up with is that this was the healthiest he has been since 2013. Even given that you have to factor in at age 32 his body is likely to be in decline. The NL league I'm in he went for $11. My thoughts were way too much for him. Yet has turned out to be a huge bargain at that price.

The conclusion that I get out of this is if a player at that age is healthy, has the skills that he has displayed earlier in his career then he could be a bargain going into the season. And then the question comes up how do you know he is healthy other than what is reported. Short of calling his doctor up to get a full medical report that is where the research needs to be and it is still a judgement call. I also think there is a degree of luck involve here.

Thoughts?
                    I think that was my writeup

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                      I think that was my writeup
                      Ya know I think even without the write-up my thoughts would have been close to that.

Comment

you should see what I put down for Avisail Garcia :hides:

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                          you should see what I put down for Avisail Garcia :hides:
                          At least with Avisail all his stats besides BA are in line with career norms. And his BA is inflated due to a huge BABIP (.386).

Comment

If we're changing to FIRST HALF breakouts, here's one player whose monster start has masked a truly dismal 2nd half. I'm sure you can all guess who it is w/o even looking it up...but no peeking, who is it?

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
                            1st Half 80 72 324 297 52 98 22 0 19 63 1 0 22 62 .330 .373 .596 .969 177 11 1 0 4 1 2 .359 112 155
                            2nd Half 37 34 146 131 23 30 5 0 10 23 0 0 14 35 .229 .301 .496 .798 65 3 0 0 1 0 1 .230 74 107
                            12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                            1B-Cron
                            2B- Villar
                            SS- Andrus
                            3B-Baez
                            MI-L. Gurriel
                            CI- Y.Gurriel
                            OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                            UTIL- Benintendi
                            BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                            SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                            RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                            IL: Buxton

Comment

Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                              If we're changing to FIRST HALF breakouts, here's one player whose monster start has masked a truly dismal 2nd half. I'm sure you can all guess who it is w/o even looking it up...but no peeking, who is it?

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+
                              1st Half 80 72 324 297 52 98 22 0 19 63 1 0 22 62 .330 .373 .596 .969 177 11 1 0 4 1 2 .359 112 155
                              2nd Half 37 34 146 131 23 30 5 0 10 23 0 0 14 35 .229 .301 .496 .798 65 3 0 0 1 0 1 .230 74 107
                              Logan Morrison?

Comment

Working...
                              X