Forever Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forever Blue

Sports Illustrated, in their patented (copyrighted?) fashion, have labeled the 2017 LA Dodgers the best team ever. I'm not going there, but I do have a question.

Is the best team of the century so far?
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Sports Illustrated, in their patented (copyrighted?) fashion, have labeled the 2017 LA Dodgers the best team ever. I'm not going there, but I do have a question.

Is the best team of the century so far?
    I would say comparisons like that aren't valid at least until the season is over. Sportswriters get pretty excited sometimes.

On a semi-related note, of the six teams in MLB history which have finished their seasons with a higher W/L percentage than LA has right now, only one has gone on to win a World Series.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

They have to sell magazines in this tough environment for print!

Plus, the Dodgers need to win it all. Remember the 2001 Mariners?

Comment

I think this is the best regular season team in our lifetimes - when SPs are healthy. have been the best for months now.

I THINK my Kershaw and Wood will join my Maeda in the postseason rotation, but we'll see.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

As noted, the 2001 Mariners finished with a higher winning percentage than the Dodgers have now. The 1998 Yankees were also over 70% and they won the WS.

It would have to be one of the three, but I am not sure the Dodgers take the prize. Resting players and playing callups can have a significant effect. The 1998 Yankees were only 16-11 in September.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Not to diminish what they're doing, but wow.... they've pulled a lot of rabbits out of the hat late in games.

Comment

the Dodgers were 22-18 to start the season

since then, 68-18 (counting the Rich Hill no-hitter loss last night and today's win)

that is not a typo
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 08-24-2017, 07:25 PM.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                Not to diminish what they're doing, but wow.... they've pulled a lot of rabbits out of the hat late in games.
                That too. A better comparison is the Pythagorean win%. By that standard the Dodgers have a claim to best of the last generation with 68.3% vs 2001 Mariners 67.2 and the 1998 Yankees 67.0%. Last year's Cubs are worth mention at 66.5%. Before it's the Big Red Machine of the 1970s.

In the live ball era, three Yankee teams-1939, 1927, and 1942, two Cardinal teams-1944 and 1942, two Cleveland teams 1948 and 1952, 1929 A's, and the 1975 Reds had teams topping 65%. Pre-Landis is dominated by the Cubs, though Pittsburgh and the Giants have a couple or three. The Cubs have a dozen teams with better PW% than any Detroit team. The NY Giants have 18 seasons better than any SF Giant season.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

And now they have lost 10 out of their last 11, and their winning percentage is awesome, but not bigly better than the Indians, who have won 14 straight.

It is a long season.
                  If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Lost 3 out of 4 to the Padres.

Comment

Working...
                    X