2018 Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Keepers

Our trading deadline just passed and since my team has been out of it since week 1, I'm ready to start looking at next year. Format is 12-team mixed 5x5 with OB & Slug replacing BA and HR. We also use WQS (wins + quality starts) to reduce the random-ness of Ws. We can only keep 10 so I'll have some tough decisions, but I've stockpiled a lot of young cheap talent. B contracts I will either have to extend at $5 per year or keep at same price for only 2018.

Here are 17 so I'll need to drop 7. The top 4 seem pretty obvious but curious to see what others think. TIA

Sano 12A
    Moustakas 6A
    Moncada 1B (extend how many years?)
    Zimmer 1A
    ~~~~~~
    Cozart 5A (FG highlighted how he's become a different player since mid-2016)
    Taylor 5A (another late bloomer having a monster year, but is he a 1-year wonder?)
    Fisher 5A (seems legit, but small sample)
    Mazara 1B (OPS is up slightly to an average .747, but still only 22)
    Renfroe 3A (obvious power but .288 OB is a red flag, can he adjust?)
    Altherr 5A (hampered by injuries, but .893 OPS)
    O Herrera 5B (turning his season around but helped kill my season in April)
    Robert 1A (will he play next year?)
    Hendricks 2B (been a sad follow-up to his breakthrough 2017 but injuries have clearly played a big role)
    Godley 7A (great numbers and my strategy of spending almost nothing on pitching blew up in my face this year)
    Faria 8A (ditto)
    Foltynewicz 1A (such a tease but his Ks and price are attractive)
    G Holland 1A (when I acquired him 2 weeks ago, he seemed like a no-brainer but his recent implosion is worrisome given his injury history)
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

In addition to your top 4, I'd keep:

Mazara
    Renfroe
    Hendricks
    Godley
    Faria
    Holland

But you have a great list so I assume you'll be active in the off-season making moves.

Comment

I'm very aggressive with my extensions, so take this with a grain of salt. I'd extend Moncada for a full 3 seasons, so that you can get at least one of his potential superstar seasons. If he turns out to not have that package, 16 bucks won't kill you.

I'd keep Mazara, Herrera, Holland and Folty. I just don't trust rookie pitchers without a big pedigree to be able to maintain their level. Holland is just going through a thing...unless he's hurt again, and there's no indication that he is, he'll be a great keeper at that price. I'd certainly consider Cozart strongly as well...he IS a different player now.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Which of the following would you be willing to deal for Seager-16 (O19)? He says he's only looking for $1-2 players.

Moncada-1B
        Mazara-1B
        Zimmer-1A
        Hendricks-2B
        Holland-1A
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

I am a little worried about Seager's elbow.

I would not trade Moncada, Zimmer or Hendricks. I would rather have them plus the $15/14 bucks at auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

I would not trade Moncada, Zimmer or Hendricks. I would rather have them plus the $15/14 bucks at auction.
            Maybe I'm missing it but did we establish which Seager?

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Robert 1A (will he play next year?)
              I had a similar question here as well. Are you talking about Luis Robert? Either a full name or even better include a team abbreviation next to the players name would be helpful.

Comment

Yea Luis Robert.

Corey Seager, Dodgers
                Last edited by DMT; 12-28-2017, 12:17 PM.
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Corey Weaver, Dodgers.
                  Is that Jeff and Jered's brother? LOL - but to answer your question on Luis Robert, I really doubt he will see any time on a MLB roster in 2018. He is only 19. If you are able to protect him on your farm/reserve roster and not start his contract until he is called up, that would be a good choice as he is $1. Not sure if you have a limit on how many farm/reserve players you can protect. Our league is only 3 per year.

Comment

We don't have any farm slots so Robert isn't really a good keeper at this point. I know I won't be able to flip him for Weaver, er that other guy.
                    - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

Thanks. Moncada and Hendricks are both due extensions so won't actually cost $1-2. I'm thinking one year for Kyle ($7) and two for Yoan ($11). As is Nomar, likely one year to $6.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

Update, he asked for Mazara. Since I'm planning to extend one year, it's Seager-16 vs Mazara-6 for the next two years.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Update, he asked for Mazara. Since I'm planning to extend one year, it's Seager-16 vs Mazara-6 for the next two years.
                          I'd take Mazara and the $10.

Comment

I would make that deal.

For $10 bucks you get a top SS and 30 points in ba and a few more hrs.

Mazara at buck is nice. I doubt he repeats 100 rbi. I would extend him a year in hopes he would take the next step. If he doesn't not much lost, but he may just be another solid OF.

Comment

Of note, Mazara and Seager's Steamer projections are remarkably close.

25 HR, 80 R, 85 RBI, 3 SB, .274 AVG vs
                              25 HR, 93 R, 81 RBI, 4 SB, .290 AVG

If you trust the projections at all then I think you pocket the $10.

Comment

Working...
                              X