The Kiermaier factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kiermaier factor

I mention Kiermaier because he is an extreme case of a player much more valuable in real life. A year ago I would have used Andrelton Simmons, but look what happened there. Before Simmons it was Lindor, and before Lindor, Josh Donaldson. So, one can obviously get lucky. When a player brings a Gold Glove to a defensive position, he'll play unless he cannot hit a lick. Witness Rabbit Maranville, who OPSed .539 while playing dayly on a Pennant contender, at age 41.

A couple such players came to mind--Ender Inciarte and Matt Chapman. I'm you can think of others. Inciarte is sort of fringy with some speed. Chapman looks like a decent hitter with no speed. My question is how much of a bump do we give such players because they are a lock to play when healthy.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 08-10-2017, 11:01 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

For every Andrelton Simmons and Francisco Lindor, there's an Alcides Escobar or a Jordy Mercer.

Comment

Jarrod Dyson probably wouldn't still be stealing 30-40 bases a year if he wasn't a great defender.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

A good example of this is Brandon Crawford. Great glove gave him three years of offensive leash while his bat came around. And, it eventually did.

Comment

These types are usually pretty valuable in sim leagues. I flipped Crawford for Archer and drafted Kiermaier early despite his injury prone-ness. A few other names that come to mind: Jackie Bradley, Kevin Pillar, and Zach Cozart (who I received in a trade for Schwarber and a pick).
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            For every Andrelton Simmons and Francisco Lindor, there's an Alcides Escobar or a Jordy Mercer.
            Escobar maybe. Mercer is not on this level with the leather. It shows in the PA.

Pillar's defense isn't what it used to be, plus he's over 27. Cozart is another good example.

What is the opinion on Matt Chapman going forward?

J
            Last edited by onejayhawk; 08-10-2017, 10:31 PM.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              Escobar maybe. Mercer is not on this level with the leather.
              Perhaps not, I was just looking at defensive runs above average which is a good indicator of what you are referring to, and Mercer ranks pretty highly.

Comment

Matt Chapman is going to be a star. I'm very impressed with him in the field

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Perhaps not, I was just looking at defensive runs above average which is a good indicator of what you are referring to, and Mercer ranks pretty highly.
                  No. He's very good but not elite. A better choice would be Franklin Gutierrez.

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                  Matt Chapman is going to be a star. I'm very impressed with him in the field
                  Donaldson was pretty good and Chapman seems to be better with the glove, particularly the arm.

What about fantasy? The only thing that glove does is buy PT.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                    No. He's very good but not elite. A better choice would be Franklin Gutierrez.

Donaldson was pretty good and Chapman seems to be better with the glove, particularly the arm.

What about fantasy? The only thing that glove does is buy PT.

J
                    and buying PT at the MLB level is key. This should keep him away from the MLB-AAA yo-yo because that glove is MLB ready right now. Hopefully Beane doesn't screw this one up like he screwed Donaldson up

Comment

Working...
                    X