No announcement yet.

Is this trade fair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't bare to be in a league where closers are that overvalued, and non skill stats like saves and wins are that overvalued. Some changes in pitcher scoring are needed, so that there are not such radical swings game to game, and so that skills, which are more predictable, are prized over luck. What a crazy rollercoaster pitching scoring must be in that set up. There is no sanity in a set up where Brandon kintzler outscores max scherzer. The whole point of points leagues IMO is to escape the absurdity of how poorly roto approximate s real baseball talent by skewing the value of steals, wins, and saves to much.

I'm in a points league with what I think is a great scoring system, refined over many years. We started off overvaluing wins and saves, but eventually figured out a set up that kept relative values fair, awarded skill stats more than situation stats, and made pitchers much more stable and predictable contributors. We are all much saner and happier for it.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 08-07-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I couldn't bare to be in a league where closers are that overvalued, and non skill stats like saves and wins are that overvalued. Some changes in pitcher scoring are needed, so that there are not such radical swings game to game, and so that skills, which are more predictable, are prized over luck. What a crazy rollercoaster pitching scoring must be in that set up. There is no sanity in a set up where Brandon kintzler outscores max scherzer. The whole point of points leagues IMO is to escape the absurdity of how poorly roto approximate s real baseball talent by skewing the value of steals, wins, and saves to much.

I'm in a points league with what I think is a great scoring system, refined over many years. We started off overvaluing wins and saves, but eventually figured out a set up that kept relative values fair, awarded skill stats more than situation stats, and made pitchers much more stable and predictable contributors. We are all much saner and happier for it.
      Although it's off track, I completely agree. In fact, I was just reading an article on 538.com how that major league GMs have finally determined that the value of a closer is low, what with the trades of closers for middling prospects, as compared to the 1997 trade of Heathcliff Slocumb.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Although it's off track, I completely agree. In fact, I was just reading an article on 538.com how that major league GMs have finally determined that the value of a closer is low, what with the trades of closers for middling prospects, as compared to the 1997 trade of Heathcliff Slocumb.
        Or last years Gleyber Torres for Chapman.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          Or last years Gleyber Torres for Chapman.
          That's not their point. Sure, Chapman was a closer -- but he was effective in high-leverage situations, which is their point. It used to be that teams traded for ineffective "closers" just because of their save totals and gave up a boatload.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            That's not their point. Sure, Chapman was a closer -- but he was effective in high-leverage situations, which is their point. It used to be that teams traded for ineffective "closers" just because of their save totals and gave up a boatload.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-save-is-dumb/
            Agree, what you are saying is basically skills not roles.

Comment

Working...
            X