Miguel Cabrera--What's the Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miguel Cabrera--What's the Deal?

Has there been a more disappointing healthy player in 2017? I just got him as basically a throw in as depth in a deal I just did and it made me reflect on what a stud this guy was for so long. He was good just last year. But this year he has really fallen off. Anyone have any insights into why, and if he has a chance of recapturing some former glory going forward?

interesting that HQ has him having a $10 season so far but projects a $23 finish
    but other than what trends toward a modest BA uptick (enjoy that), I don't really see it other than they are in denial
    skills are down but if you bought low I'm saying there's a chance
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      interesting that HQ has him having a $10 season so far but projects a $23 finish
      but other than what trends toward a modest BA uptick (enjoy that), I don't really see it other than they are in denial
      skills are down but if you bought low I'm saying there's a chance
      Yeah, I agree. Not ready to say he's gone over the falls yet. Could be a steal in '18.

Comment

I think that the political turmoil in their home country of Venezuela is affecting Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Gonzalez and other Venezuelan players. These guys are in constant contact with their family and friends back home and are hearing the horror stories on a daily basis. Sending money to their families can only solve so many problems. The constant threat of family members being kidnapped and held for ransom also weighs heavily on their minds. Some players have said that they can't go back to their home country and see their family because as millionaires they have become huge targets for kidnappings and extortion. It's a really bad situation right now.

Here's a link that discusses the problem:
        http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...o-go-back-home

"Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera also posted on Instagram, begging the government not to hurt his family and saying he was told by pro-government people he would be killed if he returned to the country."
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow, I hadn't realized how bad it.had gotten there recently. Thanks for the perspective madducks.

Comment

Hard contact is disappearing. He can't be 100%

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              I think that the political turmoil in their home country of Venezuela is affecting Miguel Cabrera, Carlos Gonzalez and other Venezuelan players. These guys are in constant contact with their family and friends back home and are hearing the horror stories on a daily basis. Sending money to their families can only solve so many problems. The constant threat of family members being kidnapped and held for ransom also weighs heavily on their minds. Some players have said that they can't go back to their home country and see their family because as millionaires they have become huge targets for kidnappings and extortion. It's a really bad situation right now.

Here's a link that discusses the problem:
              http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...o-go-back-home

"Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera also posted on Instagram, begging the government not to hurt his family and saying he was told by pro-government people he would be killed if he returned to the country."
              And yet you tried to trade him to me

That's just awful what he and others are going through. Surprised that he is even doing as well as he is given those circumstances.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                And yet you tried to trade him to me

That's just awful what he and others are going through. Surprised that he is even doing as well as he is given those circumstances.
                He could still turn things around. Some players are able to mentally block things out just long enough to produce on the field. It's not an easy thing to do though.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

It's been a very tough season for Miggy. It has been frustrating from the start of season dealing with back injury, DL, whether the Tigers were going to sell or not then selling and his home country issues. From what i hear he isn't injured but Miggy will hide injuries. What I do know is he has back issues that can act up at any time and this will likely be with him until the end of his career. Combine that with the mental stress from his home country and the fact that the Tigers are no longer relevant to make the play-offs this season or over the next several seasons and being an aging ballplayer this sums up his season. Last night he struck out and basically yelled at himself. Pure frustration so I have to believe a good part of this slump is mental. This is uncharted territory for him so hopefully he'll pull it together and play towards the level he is capable of. I'm rooting for him.

Comment

Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                    It's been a very tough season for Miggy.
                    and it just boiled over

edit: embedded tweet with video of Miggy fighting with NYY C Austin Romine today didn't work as planned ... I'll see if there's a gif out there ... here's a link

edit2: check Gary Sanchez jumping in & throwing the sucker punch ...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yankees-Tigers. ���� <a href="https://t.co/WhwVMi6q2B">pic.twitter.com/WhwVMi6q2B</a></p>&mdash; Rob Friedman (@PitchingNinja) <a href="https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/status/900805180035346432">August 24, 2017</a></blockquote>
                    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
                    Last edited by TranaGreg; 08-24-2017, 02:57 PM.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

The dugouts have cleared out 3 times this game. I wonder if that is a record. I think at least 8 were ejected.

Comment

Gary Sanchez actually got two sucker punches in it looks like. First in the main fracas, it looks like he gets Castellanos, who is on top of Cabrera. Then Sanchez is pulled away, and Castellanos is dragged off by some Yankees. Sanchez gets free and hops over to hit Castellanos again while he's down.

Gotta think Sanchez will get a non-trivial suspension out of this after they look at the video.

Comment

Working...
                        X