Fantasy baseball trade deadline HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy baseball trade deadline HDID

Had a really fun trade deadline day and I thought it would be fun to rehash and go over the decision points.

14 team mixed keeper league (keep 15 players). Long term league, heavy inflation.

Coming into the deadline I'm in 2nd place, trailing my main competition over the years by 12 points and ahead of 3rd place by 14 points.

1st place team lost Kershaw (and dealt him away after the injury) which gave me my opening to go for it.

(For reference, A/B contracts are keepable for 2/1 years at the same price, C/Z are not keepable)

I made 6 trades in the last 15 hours to try to improve my team. My biggest needs were on the pitching side, but I was open to add anywhere. I saw openings on both the buy and sell side and decided to go for both.

Trade 1:

give: Ryan Zimmerman (10A), Freddy Galvis (10A), Hunter Renfroe (2B)
    get: Charlie Blackmon (15Z), Yoenis Cespedes (28C), Patrick Corbin (10A)

Blackmon and Cespedes were on a team that was looking to sell. I wanted to capitalize on Zimmerman's value which I don't expect to last too long (although this week he's looked great). Blackmon was the best bat on the market. Corbin is not great, but he helps my pitching depth. I'll be streaming in starters every week to capitalize on match-ups and two-start weeks.

Very happy with this trade. It was originally offered in a similar capacity to the 1st place team who turned down Blackmon/Cespedes for a $1 Moose. Turning the tables on him helps me quite a bit I believe.

Trade 2:

give: Marcell Ozuna (3C), Sean Newcomb (6A)
    get: Jimmy Nelson (1A), Dylan Bundy (7A)

Bundy/Newcomb is somewhat of a wash although I like Bundy a little more. Ozuna has been great but he's on a C contract, so its a 2 month rental for 2.5 years of Nelson, who has been lights out lately. Ozuna was expendable in a way after getting Blackmon/Cespedes.

Trade 3:

give: Johnny Cueto (30B), Brad Ziegler (10A)
    get: Yulieski Gurriel (3B), Phil Maton (1A)

Had to shed some salary, I was over the cap after the 1st two trades. I'm dubious on Ziegler's role - not sure he can keep it without destroying my peripherals. And Cueto at $30 was not useful to me. I knew I could flip Gurriel later since he's so cheap and controllable. Not a great trade but I had to get under the cap and didn't feel like I gave up much here.

Trade 4:

give: Yulieski Gurriel (3B) Jeff Hoffman (1A)
    get: A.J. Ramos(15B), Danny Valencia (9A)

Immediately found a trade partner for Gurriel. Ramos's saves will help me this year and may be keepable at $15. Hoffman and Valencia were throw-ins. Hoffman started out looking great this year but has struggled recently and I was not likely to keep him.

Trade 5:

give: Taijuan Walker (15A), Luke Weaver (5A)
    get: Edwin Diaz (3B), Wandy Peralta (1A)

Controllable cheap closers are worth a premium in this league for some reason. I need Diaz to help in saves this year and Walker was 6th or 7th on my starter depth chart. Weaver is nice, but without a 3rd pitch I'm concerned about his long term viability as a starter.

Trade 6:

give: Zach Britton (28A)
    get: Chris Archer (37A)

Literally a last second deal. I had sent a message to this owner yesterday asking about availability and heard back with 6 minutes left before the deadline. With Britton potentially going elsewhere to setup (maybe?), I wanted to get some value. And with Diaz and Ramos, Britton was someone I may not need this year. Archer at $37 may even be keepable. Estatic that I could add an ace for such a low price.

Overall by my projections I went from a team that could come within ~7 points of first, to a virtual tie. So its going to be a fun season watching it play out.

How did I do?

Nice work Ken. Don't like all of the deals but like most very much. Britton for Archer is robbery. Love the Diaz deal. I'll take Blackmon over Zimmerman too. Corbin wouldn't have been my bet,but low cost. Overall great job.

Btw isn't your deadline after the MLB one? If not, why not?

Comment

How did you have the time!!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        Nice work Ken. Don't like all of the deals but like most very much. Britton for Archer is robbery. Love the Diaz deal. I'll take Blackmon over Zimmerman too. Corbin wouldn't have been my bet,but low cost. Overall great job.

Btw isn't your deadline after the MLB one? If not, why not?
        Thanks!

Our deadline is noon on the 1st Monday on or after July 31st. It just fell weird this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          How did you have the time!!
          It was intense. I was going back and forth with 4 different owners at the same time at one point. It helped to have some on text, some on facebook, some sending messages through onroto, and others on email so I could keep them separated, but it was still crazy. My wife asked me what the heck I was doing multiple times!

Comment

Working...
          X