Those guys who play just for fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those guys who play just for fun...

There are 3 guys in my league who never, never, never come close to winning. They have all been in the league over 10 years so they are not rookies or noobs.

The way that they manage their teams is horrible...every year....

I assume they play fantasy baseball just for something to do because they sure aren't trying to win.

I have no desire to do this "just for fun" so i can't understand that mentality.

But as long as they are enjoying it, who am i to criticize!

Anyone like this in your leagues?
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

We had one guy like that. Everyone kind of tolerated him until he would occasionally make a really stupid trade, but he was a nice older guy so nobody really took too much exception. Three would be a problem.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

we have several owners with 2 decades in who have never won. total cost per year is roughly $100, and they can well afford it.
      they take it like a hobby that's fun and not too expensive - plus if you get lucky, you get your money back and then some.

none of them are terrible. well, there's one guy who has been really poor the last few years.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I've never won my primary NL only league, although I had a 5 year streak broken last year where I cashed. My lack of victory is thrown in my face quite often at the auction
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          There are 3 guys in my league who never, never, never come close to winning. They have all been in the league over 10 years so they are not rookies or noobs.

The way that they manage their teams is horrible...every year....

I assume they play fantasy baseball just for something to do because they sure aren't trying to win.

I have no desire to do this "just for fun" so i can't understand that mentality.

But as long as they are enjoying it, who am i to criticize!

Anyone like this in your leagues?
          It seems that those guys are the quickest to throw in the towel each year. If they have a bad April, they start dumping in May. That's the part i don't understand. Why pay $50+ for a player at the auction if you are only going to use him for 6 weeks? It's like they have low fantasy self-esteem or something and give up on their team with 67% of the season still left to play. Sometimes they have teams capable of contending if they would just wait another month for their players to rebound from their slow starts. Our league was won last year by a team that was in the middle of the standings at the all-star break. That team would have been dumping and rebuilding if one of the negative Nellies was managing it.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
            It seems that those guys are the quickest to throw in the towel each year. If they have a bad April, they start dumping in May. That's the part i don't understand. Why pay $50+ for a player at the auction if you are only going to use him for 6 weeks? It's like they have low fantasy self-esteem or something and give up on their team with 67% of the season still left to play. Sometimes they have teams capable of contending if they would just wait another month for their players to rebound from their slow starts. Our league was won last year by a team that was in the middle of the standings at the all-star break. That team would have been dumping and rebuilding if one of the negative Nellies was managing it.
            Exactly. But they never learn.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

There's a few different types:

- there are some who play just one sport, either baseball or football, and in just one league, so they use the opportunity to trade like crazy, even when they already have a good team. These types inevitably louse it up and while they may finish in the money every so often, they're usually donations.

- in my keeper leagues, there are those who are habitual dumpers, because IMO they value the wrong things -- kiddies or cheap contracts. These types also almost routinely finish out of the money.

- the ones I don't understand are the ones who pay the league fee but then never put any time into their team at all. It's like they wake up one day after a month or two, make a slew of trades, don't make any pickups or lineup changes for the rest of the season, then are not heard from until the following year.

Comment

My NL keeper league is full of guys who want to win although some are better than others.

My AL keeper league, however, is all my college buddies and there are a couple who get the cone of shame. One is because he doesn't really know baseball (I had to let him know that Aaron Judge at $5 is probably a solid keeper), the other is a diehard baseball fan who just kinda sucks at fantasy baseball. He did finally have some success last year but before that he had been a botttom dweller for years.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  this year I was 9th on May 1 (was 9th on June 1 in 2015 and won) with 59.5 pts
                  June 1, 74.5
                  July 2, 86
                  now, 100 and the lead
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    this year I was 9th on May 1 (was 9th on June 1 in 2015 and won) with 59.5 pts
                    June 1, 74.5
                    July 2, 86
                    now, 100 and the lead
                    Team in my league just gained 25 points in the last 2 weeks.

Comment

I've got offers out to 3 of the guys that should be in dumping mode for players with dead contracts. The offers have already been out there for 3 days without any type of response. You'd think that they would at least consider trying to help themselves for next year, or make come type of counter. But, nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by MagSeven View Post
                        I've got offers out to 3 of the guys that should be in dumping mode for players with dead contracts. The offers have already been out there for 3 days without any type of response. You'd think that they would at least consider trying to help themselves for next year, or make come type of counter. But, nothing.
                        That is the hardest part and nothing worse than an owner who never response. I always respond no matter if I'm doing well or not. Although I do not approach my teams like I use to and it probably shows in my results I still enjoy this. Guess I'm not a hardcore player anymore.

Comment

the only thing worse than the no responders is the no responder who will only trade with his one buddy
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                          X