prospecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prospecting

Which of these prospects have the most value right now going into 2018? I know we're 9 months away. I've traded away most of my farm to compete this year, so I'm trying to reload the minors. Anybody I sign starts with a $10 contract with no raise as long as they stay rookie eligible. We can keep four going into 2018.

Juan Soto
    Ryan McMahon
    Harrison Bader - currently rostered
    Dylan Cozens
    Francisco Mejia - currently rostered
    Willie Calhoun
    Matt Chapman
    Zack Collins
    Keston Hiura
    Luis Urias - currently rostered
    Josh Naylor
    Brendan McKay

Jack Flaherty
    Luke Weaver
    Walker Buehler
    Reynaldo Lopez - currently rostered
    Forrest Whitley
    Cal Quantrill
    Sixto Sanchez
    Franklin Perez
    Luiz Gohara
    Alex Faedo
    Last edited by DJRadar; 07-18-2017, 12:20 AM.

one or two catcher league? do you care specifically about 2018 or just the future in general?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

One catcher league

I'm more focused on 2018 than long-term. With Trout, Harper, Benintendi on the roster, I'm more focused on winning this year or next.

Comment

Calhoun, Kingery, McMahon, Weaver, Bader would be my priorities, I think. McMahon would be higher if I thought they had a place to play him, but given how much the Rockies paid Desmond, it might be tough unless they move on from CarGo. I'm a bit too high on Calhoun I'm sure, esp given that he needs to get traded to a team that'll play him, but he's one of the youngest guys in AAA and doesn't strike out nearly as much as the other power hitters. Soroka is also interesting if he's unowned.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'd be getting Luke Weaver now, if he's unowned. I like Kingery a touch more than Calhoun.

I have no idea what the Rockies will do with McMahon, as not only is he blocked by the existing group, but Dahl is lurking, too.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Walker Buehler just promoted to AAA. Outstanding arm and might be taking Urias's role in 2018.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
              Walker Buehler just promoted to AAA. Outstanding arm and might be taking Urias's role in 2018.
              In a deep league, I'd pick him up just for the name. Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?!!?

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                In a deep league, I'd pick him up just for the name. Buehler? Buehler? Buehler?!!?
                Your Ben Stein is amazing!

Comment

So you'd rather have Weaver or Buehler over Lopez? And Calhoun over Urias?

Comment

pitchers: probably, though Lopez has been pretty good too. Buehler looks like he might be special but going into the Dodgers rotation is a good way to get 25 starts a year, so that's a concern too.

hitters: yeah, I don't see the appeal of Urias from a fantasy standpoint. The FanGraphs scouting report matches up with his current numbers - he looks likely to hit over .300 with no power or speed, which has some value but if I'm only going to carry four prospects, a guy with slightly-worse-LeMahieu upside isn't going to be one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post

hitters: yeah, I don't see the appeal of Urias from a fantasy standpoint. The FanGraphs scouting report matches up with his current numbers - he looks likely to hit over .300 with no power or speed, which has some value but if I'm only going to carry four prospects, a guy with slightly-worse-LeMahieu upside isn't going to be one of them.
                      CBS disagrees: "There is real thump in his bat even if it is yet to translate into game action. He should be treated as a hot commodity in dynasty leagues."

Comment

Originally posted by DJRadar View Post
                        So you'd rather have Weaver or Buehler over Lopez? And Calhoun over Urias?
                        I'd rather have Weaver over any minor league SP right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          CBS disagrees: "There is real thump in his bat even if it is yet to translate into game action. He should be treated as a hot commodity in dynasty leagues."
                          If they say so, but he has an ISO under .100 this year so it's not like he's hitting a ton of doubles. He might turn out well, but if I'm only going to be carrying four minor leaguers for next year, I'd rather have someone already hitting well in AA or AAA.

Comment

I pulled this thread out because it has Matt Chapman was mentioned. Once. Hmmm.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Lots of very good names on this list actually. Soto with the highest long term upside probably. Sixto Sanchez is another elite upside guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X