Bellinger for Bryant/DeGrom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bellinger for Bryant/DeGrom

In 2nd place in my 6x6 keeper league (includes OPS and QS).

I'd give: Bellinger - $1 for next two years and could be franchise tagged at $15 in 2020

I'd get: Kris Bryant ($20 next year only) and DeGrom (contract expires this year).

Bryant would slot into Bellinger's INF spot and DeGrom would be added to my SP roster of Scherzer, Carrasco, Hamels, Cobb and Cueto.

The biggest challenge is that I'm 17 points (!) out of first so I don't know if I should even be trying to make a run. So pen, do you think the trade is A) worth doing and B) should I even be trying to make a run down this far? Bellinger would be the best keeper going into next year so it's hard to give him up if I don't even think I'd get into 1st this year.

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    In 2nd place in my 6x6 keeper league (includes OPS and QS).

I'd give: Bellinger - $1 for next two years and could be franchise tagged at $15 in 2020

I'd get: Kris Bryant ($20 next year only) and DeGrom (contract expires this year).

Bryant would slot into Bellinger's INF spot and DeGrom would be added to my SP roster of Scherzer, Carrasco, Hamels, Cobb and Cueto.

The biggest challenge is that I'm 17 points (!) out of first so I don't know if I should even be trying to make a run. So pen, do you think the trade is A) worth doing and B) should I even be trying to make a run down this far? Bellinger would be the best keeper going into next year so it's hard to give him up if I don't even think I'd get into 1st this year.
    I would look at each category and break down how many points you and the leader can reasonably expect to gain/lose. If a bunch of categories are tight and it seems feasible, then I might do it, although I'd probably be looking to get more back. I don't think Bryant will be that much better ROS so giving up a $1 stud for an ace seems too low.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Phew...with a 17 point difference, I'd pass.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Having Bryant next year makes it a little more palatable. As DMT said, though, you'd better do the math and figure out if this really gets you close. I wouldn't do this to finish 3rd.

Comment

How far ahead of 3rd place are you? How much money is at stake between 2nd and 3rd? Without making the deal are you pretty much assured of 2nd barring some crazy stuff happening?

And like others have said, take a really good look at how much you can possibly gain from the deal in terms of individual categories.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Doesn't seem like a hefty enough return for a dirt cheap Bellinger unless it's a shallow league or you only have limited keepers. I know that in my 12-team NL-only that wouldn't even be close to enough for Bellinger.

As for the philosophical question about making a splash with that big of a gap, it would all depend on category juice. If (for instance) you're way behind in wins and K's but get Bumgarner back this week then you can theoretically incorporate his extra points to your total and let you know how close you will actually be in a month or so.

Comment

aside from all the other advice here, if you are still considering, insist on something like a $10 Prado - not really relevant for next year but if healthy, better than the bum you send back.

that may not be the exact example - point being that for a $1 Bellinger, no way he shuts the door due to adding a bum for a vet he doesn't care about.

in fact, empty his shed - for Bellinger, insist on every irrelevant player for him who is an upgrade on what he gets. those are not dealbreakers for him. so study the rosters. plus you can market the idea that you are inclined to wait for next year, so make it worth your while. look at it from his market side - who else is going to buy? think about if you are on the strong side of the market before you say anything. suggest that you have given up, but thanks for making you consider reviving - but only in the best circumstances.

CLOSER LOOK: make him think that you are inclined to take NO offer for Bellinger (plausible). wait for a counteroffer. from other threads I am outed as a #flagsflyforever guy and I may have oversold for this 9th one, so I'm not a nervous Nellie here.

good example where not only is HQ helpful, but if you have onroto.com stats they have projections from HQ for rest of season even not paying for HQ. regardless, you MUST have not only projections, but close looks at them. if they think you will finish 2nd in SV in a 57-56-56-55 race, don't get overconfident. but if you seem barely underserved in HR, you know you have a shot AND maybe many of the teams ahead of you are dumping.
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 07-11-2017, 09:20 PM.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
              X