BA mid-season top 100 prospect list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Not a fan of the Klaw myself. He is a good data point taking on the Herculian task of getting eyeballs on guys himself and doing his own thing solo. However, he seems to want to make some hero calls, and, as I guess is natural given how he does it on his own, he tends to be biased for and against guys based on a fairly small number of viewings. He is gets a bit snarky sometimes, which I know some folks actually like. But he is a smart guy (just ask him), so I'd be surprised by that response about Vlad Jr.--was it a recent comment? Did he mean, if he were eligible for this draft, but hadn't played pro ball yet, based on his scouting before this year? If so, that makes total sense. However, I find it hard to believe any teams, let alone 10, would pass on Vlad given the impossible hypothetical situation that they knew what he was capable of in A ball as an 18 year old. If that is what Law met, that I think he is wrong.

All that is not to say I am defending an 18 year old in single A at #2. If he didn't have the bloodlines he did, I doubt he'd crack anyone's top 10 (although, again, he does look really great). In most sports, I wouldn't buy into the bloodlines, but in baseball, for whatever reason, it works out more often that kids can live up to or even exceed their prop pops. Bo Bichette is another bloodline guy who is all bat, and looks great at the plate.

Also, Baseball America seems to have shifted in recent years a little bit to favoring shiny new toys more than more established guys who maybe haven't taken a big enough step forward in the current year. But I get that too--you tend to see the warts on a guy who has been around awhile, where as the new up and comer is all potential and day dreams. They also seem to be weighing offensive potential a bit more than they used to in relation to defense, and upside above closeness to the majors. That is just speculation, but it is the only way I can see them ranking Vlad at #2 above Torres and Rosario.
    I think that if Valddy's name were Jimmy Olson, he would be in the top 25, maybe not the top 50. I agree with you on the bloodlines argument. That's not to say he's not going to end up being a hell of a player, it's just to say that he doesn't deserve to be ranked where he is right now. Hell, it can be argued that he's not even the top prospect on his own team!
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

from that list, I have this year traded away Acuna, Buehler, and Albies - all in top 25. also have in past dealt away other top 100s Moniak, Tapia, Giolito, and McMahon

#flagsflyforever
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

First comment in the thread was my first thought... what the hell is with Juan Soto (WAS - OF) dropping off the list?! The guy murdered the ball with extremely strong contact abilities (8 K, 10 BB in 86 AB at A ball as an 18 year old... .360/.427/.523)... then spent 6 weeks on the DL. So now he's back to rehabbing for a few days, and somehow his hot start got him booted off the list entirely?

Oh well, I wasn't planning on dealing him anyway. I love a low K rate on teenagers in full-season leagues.
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
          First comment in the thread was my first thought... what the hell is with Juan Soto (WAS - OF) dropping off the list?! The guy murdered the ball with extremely strong contact abilities (8 K, 10 BB in 86 AB at A ball as an 18 year old... .360/.427/.523)... then spent 6 weeks on the DL. So now he's back to rehabbing for a few days, and somehow his hot start got him booted off the list entirely?

Oh well, I wasn't planning on dealing him anyway. I love a low K rate on teenagers in full-season leagues.
          Juan Soto is on the list at 95. If you want some Soto love, Baseball Prospectus has "the Domonican Bryce Harper" at #12 overall.

Comment

The Baseball America #76 prospect threw a 2 hit shutout tonight with 10 K's...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Pretty good list, like how aggressive they're being with Vlad Jr even though he doesn't have the gaudy power or speed numbers (yet). Unfortunately - like others have said - this is more of a real baseball list so it's kinda hard to use for fantasy purposes. Seems that Rotowire is the best resource for fantasy prospects. They of course factor in defense and such, but they don't seem to give shortstops extra credit for being a good glove and I don't think they had guys like Austin Hedges as high as other publications.

Comment

ROTOWORLD: According to ESPN Red Sox reporter Scott Lauber, 3B prospect Rafael Devers will be promoted to Triple-A Pawtucket "literally any day now."
                Boston's top prospect has been tearing it up in Double-A. Among Eastern League hitters, the 20-year-old Dominican Republic native ranks fourth in home runs (18), fifth in RBI (56) and third in slugging percentage (.575). With the Red Sox in dire straits at third base, fantasy owners would be wise to monitor Devers' progress. He's No. 12 in MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects.
                12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                1B-Cron
                2B- Villar
                SS- Andrus
                3B-Baez
                MI-L. Gurriel
                CI- Y.Gurriel
                OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                UTIL- Benintendi
                BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson