BA mid-season top 100 prospect list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA mid-season top 100 prospect list

Pretty happy Rays have 3 guys in top 40 and 5 in the top 100 plus just landed the top international prospect

Interesting list...though Martes dropping 32 places is a total mystery to me, among a few other drops. But his drop to me is the strangest.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Interesting list...though Martes dropping 32 places is a total mystery to me, among a few other drops. But his drop to me is the strangest.
      I guess a 2.10 WHIP at AAA will do that to you!

Comment

Jays looking not too bad with three in the top 50, and Guerrero at 2!

FYI him and Bo Bichette just got moved from lo-A to hi-A yesterday. (don't expect them in the bigs for a couple of years yet, they're just 18 & 19)
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          I guess a 2.10 WHIP at AAA will do that to you!
          I guess. I doubt the wisdom of dropping a guy 32 places based on a bad 32 inning stretch in the PCL, but you could be right. Of course, I think I'll send it to his owner and try and buy low in a week or two.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The golden age for shortstops continues with 3 more in the top 7. It's almost becoming useless to offer a shortstop in a fantasy trade these days because everyone has one or two good ones now.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

We can keep a player for 2 years from the time we pick him up, and if he's a waiver/free agent add he's a 23rd rounder in the following year's draft.

So, of the top guys on this list, aside from Moncada/Rosario who are already owned in my league, which bat would you grab & stash for hopeful production in 2018, or even a September 2017 cup of coffee? The latter seems unlikely, most of these guys seem like they're mid-end of 2018/not until 2019 contributors...e.g. Rogers, Robles, Devers, Jiminez. And JP Crawford sure seems like an "all glove, no bat" kinda guy...which might be why he's ranked #4 on MLB and #92 here!
              12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
              1B-Cron
              2B- Villar
              SS- Andrus
              3B-Baez
              MI-L. Gurriel
              CI- Y.Gurriel
              OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
              UTIL- Benintendi
              BENCH: Pence, Dyson
              SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
              RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
              IL: Buxton

Comment

Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                which bat would you grab & stash for hopeful production in 2018, or even a September 2017 cup of coffee? The latter seems unlikely, most of these guys seem like they're mid-end of 2018/not until 2019 contributors...e.g. Rogers, Robles, Devers, Jiminez.
                Unless the Red Sox make a move soon, I think Devers is likely to come up this year. He's been great and the Red Sox need the help at third. Adames could come up. If the Pirates trade McCutchen, that probably opens a spot for Meadows. If it's a two-catcher league, Mejia is worth picking up.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Willy Adames could be up this year.

Lewis Brinson has been called up this year.
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

It was a really strange list, it was like they tossed 50 names in a hat and just picked them out randomly. And then ranked the other 50 like they should have been ranked.

I know that Giolito is still trying to find his groove, but dropped down to 76? WAY too severe. Luis Urias at 37? Vladdy Jr. at #2???
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      It was a really strange list, it was like they tossed 50 names in a hat and just picked them out randomly. And then ranked the other 50 like they should have been ranked.

I know that Giolito is still trying to find his groove, but dropped down to 76? WAY too severe. Luis Urias at 37? Vladdy Jr. at #2???
                      I agree that there are some head scratchers, but I get the Giolito drop. He has always been more promise than performance, and his ceiling looks lower than it once was. I don't know enough about Urias, but Vladdy sure looks good. #2 might be a bit high, but not only are his numbers great, scouts are gushing about him--to the point that they think he could be as good as his dad, and that is pretty freaking good.

Comment

Looks like they penalized players who have been called up and are on ML rosters as well.
                        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          I agree that there are some head scratchers, but I get the Giolito drop. He has always been more promise than performance, and his ceiling looks lower than it once was. I don't know enough about Urias, but Vladdy sure looks good. #2 might be a bit high, but not only are his numbers great, scouts are gushing about him--to the point that they think he could be as good as his dad, and that is pretty freaking good.
                          I tend to believe in Keith Law's evaluation of talent, and he said that Vladdy would have been top 10, not #1, in this years MLB draft. So a #2 overall ranking is pretty high, IMO. Not complaining, as I dealt Jr. off in 2 different leagues and got great returns for him. Giolito is a divisive player for fans...I probably held on to him too long, but he's got the body type, the arm, and the brain to be a #1 starter IMO. He's still trying to undo the mechanical damages that the Nats did to him when they decided to revamp his delivery.

And Hunter Greene at #30? The kid has yet to put a glove on in a game...
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            I tend to believe in Keith Law's evaluation of talent...
                            Not a fan of the Klaw myself. He is a good data point taking on the Herculian task of getting eyeballs on guys himself and doing his own thing solo. However, he seems to want to make some hero calls, and, as I guess is natural given how he does it on his own, he tends to be biased for and against guys based on a fairly small number of viewings. He is gets a bit snarky sometimes, which I know some folks actually like. But he is a smart guy (just ask him), so I'd be surprised by that response about Vlad Jr.--was it a recent comment? Did he mean, if he were eligible for this draft, but hadn't played pro ball yet, based on his scouting before this year? If so, that makes total sense. However, I find it hard to believe any teams, let alone 10, would pass on Vlad given the impossible hypothetical situation that they knew what he was capable of in A ball as an 18 year old. If that is what Law met, that I think he is wrong.

All that is not to say I am defending an 18 year old in single A at #2. If he didn't have the bloodlines he did, I doubt he'd crack anyone's top 10 (although, again, he does look really great). In most sports, I wouldn't buy into the bloodlines, but in baseball, for whatever reason, it works out more often that kids can live up to or even exceed their prop pops. Bo Bichette is another bloodline guy who is all bat, and looks great at the plate.

Also, Baseball America seems to have shifted in recent years a little bit to favoring shiny new toys more than more established guys who maybe haven't taken a big enough step forward in the current year. But I get that too--you tend to see the warts on a guy who has been around awhile, where as the new up and comer is all potential and day dreams. They also seem to be weighing offensive potential a bit more than they used to in relation to defense, and upside above closeness to the majors. That is just speculation, but it is the only way I can see them ranking Vlad at #2 above Torres and Rosario.
                            Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-07-2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

One several things I don't like about KLaw and BA rankings is they have a history of factoring in defense into their rankings, especially for middle infielders. As a fantasy player I couldn't care less about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X