Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go for the glory? (AL-only)

10-team 5x5 (OBP) keeper league

Finally made my way up to 2nd place, 5.5 points out of first, 0.5 points ahead of third, and the rest of the teams don't really seem to be a threat. My team has been making such steady progress that I'm not sure I necessarily need to make a big splash trade to take this thing down, but I could definitely use a little help on offense.

The last place team is mulling this offer:

I give
    Ryon Healy - $8/contract runs through 2019
    Vlad Guerrero Jr. - $5/19+ (it will be a 3-year contract once he gets called up plus 1 option year)

I get
    Josh Donaldson
    Jose Altuve
    Archer, Price, Lucroy, or Trumbo

I really hate to part with Vlad since he's supposed to be the next big thing, but he is still a few years away so it'll take some patience. I'm already pretty set at middle infield with Pedroia, Segura, Tulo, and Barreto but Altuve's speed and OBP would help quite a bit.

I know you guys are going to tell me to jump all over this deal, but I hate giving up such a good prospect when I feel like I might be able to take this thing down without the trade. Also, which of those last players would you choose? Lucroy would replace Yan Gomes so he makes the most practical sense, but Archer is probably the best of the bunch.

To help explain things, here's my roster right now:

C - Gomes
    1B - Encarnacion
    2B - Pedroia
    3B - Sano
    SS - Segura
    CI - Healy
    MI - Tulo
    OF - JD Martinez
    OF - Melky Cabrera
    OF - Dyson
    OF - J. Bonifacio
    Util - Barreto
    Bench - Marisnick
    DL - Hicks
    DL - Pinder

P - Kluber
    P - Carrasco
    P - Happ
    P - J. Montgomery
    P - Fiers
    P - A. Moore
    P - Osuna
    P - C. Allen
    P - Street
    DL - Morton
    DL - Sabathia
    DL - G. Richards

Minors - Moncada, Leonys Martin, and Vlad Jr.

Comment

Flags Fly and all that--Vlad is a stud, but you still have great Yoan. I'd have to make this deal.....
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Holy cow, take this deal and take it now. And take Archer. You might be able to win the league without the deal, but you take this and just end all debate fast.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Holy cow, take this deal and take it now. And take Archer. You might be able to win the league without the deal, but you take this and just end all debate fast.
          Ummmm, yeah. Forget about Vlad whatshisname.

Comment

Yeah, I've traded Vladdy Jr. in 2 leagues, might regret it...but, flags and all that. I'd take Archer, and see if you can squeeze out a disappointing Trumbo.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Agree with the others. I like the move to try for Archer and Trumbo. Everytime Vlad hits a homerun, shine your championship ring.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
              Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
              Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Pretty sure Lucroy would've had the highest ADP during draft season. Obviously he's been a disappointment so far but is there anything to explain the struggles? Seems like he would be due for a hot streak sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  Pretty sure Lucroy would've had the highest ADP during draft season. Obviously he's been a disappointment so far but is there anything to explain the struggles? Seems like he would be due for a hot streak sooner or later.
                  I think I've read the heat of Texas brings up the offense for the Rangers

Comment

You guys have mostly talked me into doing the trade, now I'm just having some trouble figuring out who the 3rd piece should be. Archer may have the most value but I'm already very solid in all pitching categories and flipping one of my pitchers to another team is easier said than done. Trumbo could be a nice power source but last year was something of an outlier and his OBP always sucks. Lucroy should be a top-5 catcher but he's been dog crap so far. Is this a "best player available" situation or should I address my team needs instead?

Comment

At this point in the season, address team needs. You may not have many suitors if you need to trade to address team needs.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                        At this point in the season, address team needs. You may not have many suitors if you need to trade to address team needs.
                        What he said!

Happy 4th 'penners!

Comment

I still see Archer as the greatest need.

Fiers and Montgomery are far from sure things and if they blow up, who do you have to replace them? Sabathia?

Lucroy should be better than Gomes, but he's been disastrous.

Trumbo is fine, but you have Hicks back in a couple of weeks and Moncada coming up soon.

So I'd take Archer and not look back.

Comment

Interesting. I feel I have a couple top-5 starters already in Kluber and Carrasco and then a whole lot of solid options. Three of the top 5 starting pitchers in the AL seems like a bit of (pardon the pun) overkill.

Comment

Well, I proposed that trade (which that owner had claimed he would accept) on Monday, then Wednesday comes around and there's no response at which time Huston Street had once again gone on the DL and I wanted to drop him for Anibal Sanchez (who threw himself a gem the next day). Since Street was the one I was going to drop in the trade I had to cancel the offer, but it's not like I was pulling my offer. Then, tonight I go to the Dodger game and come back to find that this owner had traded those same guys to the 3rd place owner for a package centered around a cheap Bregman, an at-value Haniger (our draft was in late April), and a cheap Porcello.

While I'm not exactly mad at the owner for choosing that offer over mine, I think it's a little shitty that he:
                              a) didn't respond to my offer for 48 hours after we had basically agreed to it over text (with a follow-up text to let him know if I needed to massage it)
                              b) then jumped at this other offer without letting me know he was considering other offers

When I texted him afterwards he claimed he got tripped out a little when I canceled my original offer, but once I let him know that it was only so that I could pick someone else up in the meantime he resorted to stammering mode.

Oh well, I still think my team's got a chance to take it all down as is and can use guys like Healy or Hicks to make another big move if need be.

Comment

Working...
                              X