Murphy for Bruce and Lester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy for Bruce and Lester

I have Daniel Murphy for $17 next year. Thinking of trading him, along with Grichuk, who is little more than a throw in, as thiss is a 14 team mixed league, to a dumping team for an overpriced Lester and an unkeepable Jay Bruce.

Essentially, Bruce will replace Murphy in the line up, as I can slide Carpenter to 2b, Bryant from the OF to 3b, and insert Bruce in the OF to replace Bryant. My pitching is very strong, but thin, and as this is a h2h league, the extra SP depth is always key for extra starts, especially in the playoffs.

So, do I gain enough this year to justify trading Murphy's sweet contract?

Is there something you can give up for just Lester who isn't a .340 hitter?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Is there something you can give up for just Lester who isn't a .340 hitter?
      I've tried. Unlike most in this league, who are in love with prospects, this guy has no use for them at all. I offered Eloy Jimenez, my best prospect, and he scoffed, so I knew that was a dead end. I offerred Logan Morrison, who I have for $1, but he is not a believer. I'm loathe to trade Murphy, but I am very deep at 2b, with Dozier also there, and with my ability to shift Carpenter from 3b to MIF. Bruce is having a great year, but I'm not sure I buy it in full, and I worry a little about where he ends up, although I guess no team he gets moved to would be a worse spot for him than the Mets, right?

Comment

I think the Murphy side is the better side of the trade, and then there's the fact he's just $17 next season. So I don't think you're getting enough in return. What other iterations can be created?

Comment

I'm with Revo on this one...I just don't see how the deal helps you at all. Bruce will drag your average down from Murphy, and is Lester really a big upgrade over what you currently have? If you have prospects like Eloy, you can surely dangle them in front of some other owner for pitching...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

There are 8 teams bunched up in contention for the money, and I don't anticipate that changing before our trade deadline in a month. The remaining 6 teams have no good pitchers outside of Lester, except ones that happen to be very good keepers. For instance, I've tried to snag Robbie Ray and Berrios, but they are $3 and $5 respectively. Aside from those jewels, I'd be scrounging for speculative dregs like Hernandez and Lackey. The pickings are very slim on pitching, as all 8 contenders don't want to move their guys--the pitching stats are really tight.

I concede, on reflection, this deal doesn't help me much, but the other owner has let me know if I don't bite, he is selling these guys to the guy in second place, who happens to need both a RFer and a SP. So, I guess he is holding me ransom, although I know for a fact the other guy would not and could not give someone as good as Murphy in the deal. IDK, maybe this is another case of me dealing just to deal. I don't think it helps me all that much, and while Lester and Bruce are both just what my closest competitor needs, defensive trading can back fire.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-01-2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              There are 8 teams bunched up in contention for the money, and I don't anticipate that changing before our trade deadline in a month. The remaining 6 teams have no good pitchers outside of Lester, except ones that happen to be very good keepers. For instance, I've tried to snag Robbie Ray and Berrios, but they are $3 and $5 respectively. Aside from those jewels, I'd be scrounging for speculative dregs like Hernandez and Lackey. The pickings are very slim on pitching, as all 8 contenders don't want to move their guys--the pitching stats are really tight.

I concede this deal doesn't help me much, but the other owner has let me know if I don't bite, he is selling these guys to the guy in second place, who happens to need both a RFer and a SP. So, I guess he is holding me ransom, although I know for a fact the other guy would not and could not give someone as good as Murphy in the deal.
              I'd let him sell to another contender then, if he thinks that he has a deal ready to go. I'm betting that it's just a bluff. I actually like Felix, for a low price...decent outings since he came back, and no indication of any health trouble. Again, Eloy should bring a very good starter, and if he doesn't, well, you've got a strange league.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                I'd let him sell to another contender then, if he thinks that he has a deal ready to go. I'm betting that it's just a bluff. I actually like Felix, for a low price...decent outings since he came back, and no indication of any health trouble. Again, Eloy should bring a very good starter, and if he doesn't, well, you've got a strange league.
                Normally, Eloy could net me any non-keeper starter I want, easily. The problem this year is all the great ones--Keshaw, Scherzer, Sale, etc, are on contending teams who don't want to sell. If any were on a bottom dweller, I'd be able to land him for sure. I'm surprised by the Felix love. I can definitely get him way cheaper--like for Mike Soroka, I'm sure. I could also get Hamels for a song, but I'm not a fan of his right now.

As far as my rival, if the Lester owner is to be believed, he is trying to sell a $1 Aaron Hicks (who the Lester owner does not believe in) and minor leaguer Leodys Taveres for the duo.
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-01-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I'm not in the Felix live category - barely like us where I am, but if pitching is that tight and you can get him for Soroka, I'd take that chance.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                  X