2K17 Addison Russell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K17 Addison Russell

The Cubs malaise has spread throughout the team but Russell has been especially disappointing. Any reason to believe that he will turn it around in the second half?
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

I would have to say no, overall. He's still fighting with a shoulder injury, and that can take it's toll. The Cubs in general are suffering a championship hangover, and not doing well with it. They cut Montero today because he had the audacity to tell the truth to the press. Arrieta is crappy at holding runners on, and slow to the plate. See ya Miguel!

So while Russell will probably have mini hot streaks like he recently had, I don't see a lot of hope to rebound for a good season.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      I would have to say no, overall. He's still fighting with a shoulder injury, and that can take it's toll. The Cubs in general are suffering a championship hangover, and not doing well with it. They cut Montero today because he had the audacity to tell the truth to the press. Arrieta is crappy at holding runners on, and slow to the plate. See ya Miguel!

So while Russell will probably have mini hot streaks like he recently had, I don't see a lot of hope to rebound for a good season.
      Number one, Montero was whining. Poor him. Everyone could see the jumps that Nats got. He doesnt need to throw Arrieta under the bus there. Number two, Montero is 1-32 in throwing out baserunners. Contreras is 16-47. Weird Contreras seems to do okay with the same pitching staff.
      Number three, thanks for weighing in on Russell.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

In the 16 games since he came back from the domestic violence allegations, he's hitting .313 with 4 HRs and 10 RBIs.

The biggest thing he's not on a similar pace from last year is RBIs -- which most of the Cubs team is the same way. If he keeps up his recent HR binge, he'll be close to his 21 HR pace from last season, and he's on pace for more Runs Scored. Still, many were paying for an 80+ RBI guy and he's likely only going to get to the mid-60s.

Comment

I believe in Russell long term, and in a keeper league, I'd be looking to buy low. But I'm with Hornsby--I would not want to have to rely on him the ROS.

Comment

I'm less optimistic than revo. His k rate and BABIP are identical to last year. He's ISO is down slightly. Walk rate is down notably, driving his OBP below .300. So it's not like he's having bad luck that looks like it will normalize up. RBIs have a chance of going up since there are hitters ahead of him underperforming and if they normalize, he should have more RBI chances.

But that's it. Keeper league, I might try and buy on the cheap. This year, I'd only get him if the price is very cheap.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
              In the 16 games since he came back from the domestic violence allegations, he's hitting .313 with 4 HRs and 10 RBIs.

The biggest thing he's not on a similar pace from last year is RBIs -- which most of the Cubs team is the same way. If he keeps up his recent HR binge, he'll be close to his 21 HR pace from last season, and he's on pace for more Runs Scored. Still, many were paying for an 80+ RBI guy and he's likely only going to get to the mid-60s.
              21 homers is not much of a pace this year, especially when it comes with a .240-250 BA with no speed. Add in his current shoulder issues, and it's all a big red flag season.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                21 homers is not much of a pace this year, especially when it comes with a .240-250 BA with no speed. Add in his current shoulder issues, and it's all a big red flag season.
                But that's what he did last season -- .238, 21 HR, little speed. Only big thing he did last year was drive in 95. Granted, what he's doing is a disappointment, but if you expected .270 with 30 HRs, it was a miscalculation.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  But that's what he did last season -- .238, 21 HR, little speed. Only big thing he did last year was drive in 95. Granted, what he's doing is a disappointment, but if you expected .270 with 30 HRs, it was a miscalculation.
                  I DO expect growth out of a 23 YO who almost doubled his numbers from his rookie season. Now he's playing hurt, and yes, a disappointment...I didn't expect .270 before the year started, but a solid .250-.260, with more homers certainly. The RBI's are variable, but what he's done this season is fall back, like many other Cubs.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                  X