Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL trade Giving up too much?

NL only 5x5 keeper league, 10 teams 280 cap

I am in 7th place looking to next year. I was thinking of proposing the following trade to the league leader. He is strong in most categories but Ks does him the most good.

I give DeGrom $13 on a non extendable contract lapsing in 2018, Panik $6 on a final year contract, Sogard $5 on a first year contract, Tomas $10 on a non extendable contract lapsing in 2018 and minor leaguer Delvin Perez

I would get Seager $5 on a second year contract, T Adelson $5 on a first year contract, K. Broxton $5 on a second year contract and minor leaguer Brendan Rodgers.

I truly am having trouble evaluating this. Am I giving up too muxn or not enough? DeGrom is a valuable player but I wouldn't get the other owners attention without him. My real targets are Seager and Rodgers so if I am asking too much I could take Derek Dietrich instead of Broxton. I see me giving up two keepers (one elite) maybe,three if Sogard's breakout is sustained. I get back an elite keeper in Seager with a potentially elite one in Rodgers. I would extend Seager next year so I would have him for three years after this one at $15.

Opinions would be appreciated.

The fact that DeGrom and Tomas are keepable for next year helps your case but I still don't think the other owner will accept it. Seager at $5 is huuuuuge and I assume he can be extended, plus Rodgers is a top prospect and Broxton is no slouch himself.

Comment

Who would he be replacing with your players? My guess is that his hitting is going to get rather worse by making this trade - the three guys you're giving him have fewer HR/R/RBI/SB combined than the two he's giving you, so unless he literally has an empty spot on his roster his hitting is going to decline. DeGrom is great. Replacing Broxton with Dietrich at least gets this into the realm of possibility.

If he needs pitching, I think the trade with Dietrich is not totally unreasonable, but I still wouldn't expect him to take it unless he's really high on Sogard for some reason or if he's replacing really bad players with Sogard/Panik/Tomas.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

You're not giving nearly enough.

Seager is a stud coming off a 3-HR game. Rodgers will be a stud and just got promoted. Broxton is a double digit SB+HR guy.

DeGrom is an ace having a middling year, which is better for you as a keeper but not for him now. Tomas is hurt. The others are mediocrities (yeah, Sogard is doing well now, but he's Eric Sogard, Joe Panik has no power or speed).

Keepin it real, I'm not sure he considers this even if Seager is taken out of the deal.

Comment

Agree with revo that there's no way I'd accept that deal if I had a $5 Seager. Given the needs you listed, I might deal a $5 Seager for an expiring Kershaw or Scherzer or two very high quality SPs, but nothing else.

Now, if Seager is out of the deal, I'd do it if Panik and Tomas fill black holes for me, and Sogard fits a slot even on a short-term basis. I might even do it if Tomas is simply an upgrade.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Being able to get a cheap Seager for 3 + years...not sure he'd do it just for Seager let alone throwing in others. Agree with the others that you are not giving anywhere close to enough.

Comment

We all have different league dynamics, of what is "normal", but that offer, for a $5 Corey Seager, is barely worth even a no thanks in my league. It would take a different level of offer to get what is one of the very best 2 or 3 keepers in your league, something akin to opening the team up and giving whatever non keepers you have, to get him, plus B Rogers. And if you did not have at least 1 elite non keeper component, like a Paul Goldie or Kershaw, it still would not be enough.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I had some doubts and never want to make insulting offers. It seems like taking Seager out would be the best course. What about a 37 non keeper contract in McCutcheon and Sogard for his two worst players and Rodgers?

Comment

Originally posted by FBP View Post
                  Thanks for the responses. I had some doubts and never want to make insulting offers. It seems like taking Seager out would be the best course. What about a 37 non keeper contract in McCutcheon and Sogard for his two worst players and Rodgers?
                  If I had Rodgers in an NL-only I'd need more than Cutch, and Sogard doesn't fill that gap. Maybe if you improve a bunch on Sogard (who may only have another week or two of value, with Villar coming back) I can see him moving Rodgers.

EDIT -- just saw a report on Rotoworld saying the chances that Cutch gets traded before July 31st are "good." I would think that scuttles any deal for a top prospect involving him....

Comment

I made the offer for Seager including McCutcheon on my side. It was rejected as he just won't give up Seager. We ultimately agreed on I give McCutcheon and minor leaguer Delvin Perez and I get minor leaguer Brendan Rodgers and Denard Span. I see this as basically Rodgers for Cutch, but getting Span back helps keep me in the middle of the pack where the reward is a high pick in next year's minor league draft. I value elite minor leaguers as I can control them for 4-5 years once I activate. Presently my minor leaguers are Meadows, Amed Rosario, Brinson, Tapia and now Rodgers.

Comment

Working...
                    X