aaron.judge home run rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaron.judge home run rate

Someone offered me 3-2 odds that judge is going to reach 41 home runs this season?

He is hitting lots but is young, inexperienced in dealing with a long season, and surely his 'weakness' as a hitter is going to be exposed, then shared as the season moves along.

I lean towards taking the bet, anyone have input??

it's close ... but I think I'd take it too
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I have a little input.

Trevor Story. Jose Abreu.

Only McGwire has hit over 38 as a rookie. The last guy who hit 38 did it 60 years ago.
      Last edited by Redbirds Fan; 06-16-2017, 09:51 AM. Reason: "last"
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        I have a little input.

Trevor Story. Jose Abreu.

Only McGwire has hit over 38 as a rookie. The last guy who hit 38 did it 60 years ago.
        They weren't named Aaron.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I can't predict health so I'll cheat and hedge. If Judge stays healthy and plays 150 games I'll take the over.

Comment

Okay, we settled on the following:

41 hr = $0

each home run above 41, I pay $100

each home run below 41, I get paid $100

Gives me something to watch in yankee land...

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

41 hr = $0

so if judge goes down with a season-ending injury tomorrow you get $1900 ... hmmm, I bet revo knows a guy who'll do it for $1K, you'd still get $900 ... just saying ...

edit: my Blue Jay homersim had nothing to do with this idea ...

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                so if judge goes down with a season-ending injury tomorrow you get $1900 ... hmmm, I bet revo knows a guy who'll do it for $1K, you'd still get $900 ... just saying ...

Lol. Is his name Jeff Gilooly?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

41 hr = $0

That's a great bet for you.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

They weren't named Aaron.
                    Allow me to be the skeptic, even though the New York press has already declared him the AL MVP for 2017 as well as the new Derek Jeter.

I can't find a lot in his past to support this kind of production. Nothing screams out 'budding home run hitter'. He hit .278 in the minors. He moved through the system pretty quickly, and his output increased some, but he was 'old' at every level. Now he is a 25 year-old rookie. Jeter, by comparison, was a 22-year old rookie. (Abreu, 27 as a rookie, hit .350 after the Break in 2014, but dropped from 29 homers to 7, in only 88 fewer ABs.)

He has a great swing, seems to be a good kid, and I love watching him play. What is especially fun is knowing that you might see something that you have never seen before...that is a feeling you don't get from many players I have seen in person. But, a rookie has only hit 40 dingers once, which suggests that it is unlikely it will happen again this year, which makes AV's bet a pretty good one IMO.
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

hey, I agreed with Art, I said I'd take the bet too!

Comment

Cody Bellinger is an interesting case, too. Perhaps better ML numbers, and about four years younger. Much smaller kid, but lots of time to fill out.

Comment

I'd have taken the bet too, as I think that was a fair line. Still, unless the kid slows down real fast, I'd start getting pretty nervous given the high stakes involved. He is on pace for 58 homers, which, of course he won't get. But I am starting to think he cracks 40 by at least a couple. I'd take the under on this being more than a $400 bet in the end, for whoever wins it, but in taking the under, every homer the kid hits is costing you $100, so that has to sting.

Comment

Hey, even though we hate the Yanks, we like Aaron Judge! My kid met him a few times last year and we have a couple of autographed baseballs.

I think I'd have taken the over.

By the way, anyone notice he's leading the AL in:

Runs
                            RBIs
                            HRs
                            TBs
                            OBP
                            SLG
                            OPS
                            OPS+

And he's 2nd in BBs and 4th in BA.

Comment

He is on pace for the greatest rookie season ever. History says he will fall off big time in the second half, but he has been fun to watch...I wish I had him in either of my leagues.

Comment

Working...
                              X