Is Smoak "Real" Now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Smoak "Real" Now?

At what point do we decide Smoak is for real vs. a fluke?

Anyone? I'm struggling with dumping vs going for it this season. Would like to decide if Smoak at $1 is a solid target for next year. Aren't the Jays in rebuild mode? Will they trade Smoak?

Comment

Smoak has cut his K% from 32.8% last year to 17.9% this year. He's always had power, but his HR/FB rate of 18.7% is up royally from his career norm of 11.1%. So not entirely sure what to make of him, but this is obviously his best ever season. I'm not sure he'll duplicate this over his next 200 ABs, but he's apparently going to be the starter for as long as he's healthy.

And no, I'm not targeting a $1 Smoak if I'm in rebuilding mode.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Smoak has cut his K% from 32.8% last year to 17.9% this year. He's always had power, but his HR/FB rate of 18.7% is up royally from his career norm of 11.1%. So not entirely sure what to make of him, but this is obviously his best ever season. I'm not sure he'll duplicate this over his next 200 ABs, but he's apparently going to be the starter for as long as he's healthy.

And no, I'm not targeting a $1 Smoak if I'm in rebuilding mode.
        Agree with this.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

yes, real good

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            yes, real good
            Thanks all. Jason am I sensing you have a different take (you think he's legit)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
              Thanks all. Jason am I sensing you have a different take (you think he's legit)?
              Every year, someone on that team changes things for the better. This appears to be his year. Here's something from March on him

In the recent past, Justin Smoak has been his own harshest critic, which of course is saying something.

Comment

and here's a local writer's take on him - not a statistical or baseball analysis, but a more personal take on his mindset throughout his career ...

JUSTIN SMOAK IS FINALLY HAVING FUN PLAYING BASEBALL

key takeaway:
                Before the start of 2017 spring training, Smoak announced a new approach. He was no longer going to give a crap.

“I think in the past, I’ve just cared too much and was harder on myself than anybody. I haven’t taken failure well. I worried about the wrong things,” he told the Toronto Sun. “This year, my mindset is to enjoy the game game [sic]. You’re on a good team. You have an opportunity. Make the best of it.”
                I don't know if that can result in sustained improvements in performance like we've seen so far, but hey, it might be worth a shot ...
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                X