• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donaldson trade potential - opinions please

Is he that good?

Here are the current parts my team if I do not trade for him
    12 team yahoo
    CI - currently Gyorko (Justin Turner on DL)
    OF - Adam Jones
    UTIL - Renfro/Bell waiver wire

Turner comes back next week
    then
    CI - Turner
    OF - Adam Jones
    UTIL - Gyorko

I am offering Adam Jones and Justin Turner and a pitcher for Donaldson

If I get Donaldson then it becomes
    CI- Donaldson
    OF - Renfro/Bell/waiver wire
    UTIL - Gyorko

does this trade help me??? I am not sure that it does

he also has Starling Marte but who the heck know

I think that you're offering too much. Frankly, I think that Donaldson is a great player, but those calf injuries are always tricky. He already came back once, in ST, and hurt it again. I'd pass unless you can get a piece back along with Donaldson that can help you.

On the Marte front, I'd certainly make a run at him...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I really like Turner so I'd pass, but I can see how Donaldson + Josh Bell could be as good as Turner and Jones. Would he be willing to do Gyorko and Jones? Guessing that doesn't move the needle enough.

Comment

If I had Donaldson I would not trade him for that package (although it depends on the pitcher, and depends on the two players he would dump off his roster).

Comment

In a shallow league, I heavily err on the side that has the best single player, since replacement level is so high. Since that's Donaldson, I'd tend to want to make a move like this.

Comment

I guess it boils down to
            Justin Turner and Adam Jones
            or
            Donaldson and Renfroe/Bell/waiver fodder in 12 teamer

Donaldson is best player but ...

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              I guess it boils down to
              Justin Turner and Adam Jones
              or
              Donaldson and Renfroe/Bell/waiver fodder in 12 teamer

Donaldson is best player but ...
              The values in those 2 groups are even.

And again, in a shallow league like this, where waiver fodder actually has a good chance to be relevant, the "best player" side of the trade wins. In this case it's not close (as long as Donaldson is relatively healthy - and Jones may be close to the same injury risk going forward).

I'd pull the trigger on that personally.

Comment

yeah, what he said. Unless you think you're particularly unlikely to get help off the WW, I'd rather get the best player and hope to scrounge up a Duda or Smoak or whatever.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                  Is he that good?

Here are the current parts my team if I do not trade for him
                  12 team yahoo
                  CI - currently Gyorko (Justin Turner on DL)
                  OF - Adam Jones
                  UTIL - Renfro/Bell waiver wire

Turner comes back next week
                  then
                  CI - Turner
                  OF - Adam Jones
                  UTIL - Gyorko

I am offering Adam Jones and Justin Turner and a pitcher for Donaldson

If I get Donaldson then it becomes
                  CI- Donaldson
                  OF - Renfro/Bell/waiver wire
                  UTIL - Gyorko

does this trade help me??? I am not sure that it does

he also has Starling Marte but who the heck know
                  This seems to me to be a deal that I would be attempting to make if I was rebuilding.

You do not mention who the pitcher is. If he is any good you lose pitching stats. How much difference in stats is there between Turner and Donaldson for half a year? Add in the other difference of the other players and I think you lose some stats in rbi and runs.

If I am the Donaldson owner I probably don't make the trade either. That would really depend on my needs and how much pitching was involved (assuming I need pitching). I think I could do better with a dumping team.

You asked if this trade helps you. I do not think it does (unless you are dumping).

Regarding Marte; nope. You make this trade and you get a month and a week of no stats. Who knows how good he will be the first month he is back. Again this assumes you are going for it now and not rebuilding.

Comment

Working...
                  X