How do you use your FAAB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use your FAAB?

My Lamet post got me to thinking about use of FAAB.

We have $100 of FAAB in each league.

Some of our league members save it up for that big player that changes leagues. Some use it to manipulate salary caps (we have to maintain $200 minimum roster salary. Some to tinker all year.

We have a rule that you can keep any FAAB'd player bid over $5 for 1 extra year. Anything less goes back in. We also cannot trade any player won at $25 or greater during the season. Dropping players bid $25 or over costs 2x salary bid in real money. $25 dropped =$50 in real money, 100 bid cost $200 in real money.

I personally use my FAAB to tinker with my roster starting week 1.

While I make the occasional $2 bid, l most likely pay $5 or $6 in the event that I can find that young keeper or closer. That way I can keep for the extra year or it makes for a better trade possibility.

How do you guys use your FAAB?

Bid early and often.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Bid early and often.
      Exactly. I'm down to $32 despite being in 11th place.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Exactly. I'm down to $32 despite being in 11th place.
        That's the way to go. If you nail a bid on a player early in the season -- this year, players such as Bud Norris, Joey Gallo, Cody Bellinger all went in FAAB in my deep 16-tm redraft -- you can have a huge breakout star for the entire year. If you're timid and wait for players down the road, what are you really gaining?

Comment

Well, it's all about value. I'd be a lot more aggressive in a mixed league (even up to 15 players) than a deep -only league. In my AL-only league, there's only been three players of value - Bud Norris, Andrew Romine, and Marwin Gonzales (through a rather humorous error by his original owner, as an aside NEVER cut players online when under the influence of excessive soju or similar beverages). Everyone else I can think of was either on a regular, reserve or rookie roster.

Given that, I may well hoard my FAAB money for later in the trade season, especially if a difference maker may come over.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Unfortunately every league is different.

A lot depends on how other competitors bid for example.

And it depends on your keeper rules, if you get to keep players at their FAAB price you are incentivized to bid smaller in some cases. And if you can keep minor league eligible players for "free" relative to an auction budget sometimes it makes sense to save some $ to overspend on September call-ups if you are out of contention.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Some use it to manipulate salary caps (we have to maintain $200 minimum roster salary.
              Our league combats this by making any free agent pickup $1 to the floor and whatever the winning bid is to the cap.
              "Knowledge is good." ---Emil Faber

"It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in, and you've got the stock market beat; but the man worthwhile, is the man who can smile, when his shorts are too tight in the seat." --- Judge Elihue Smails

"Integrity means that you are the same in public as you are in private." --- Joyce Meyer

"..........don't think; it can only hurt the ballclub." --- Crash Davis

Comment

For the most part, I bid on at least one player every week, starting Week 1, and almost always it's for $1. This means that I don't get a lot of who I bid for, but I often get some gems, and in deep NL only leagues, if you have three or four $1 value guys, it gives you HUGE flexibility come time to make that keeper list.

At the deadline, I go for broke, spending whatever I have, which is usually in the 70s somewhere.

Comment

I try to pace my use of FAAB thruout the yr, not often spending too much on any 1 player. I usually bid every week and I try to be careful about dropping players too early so I usually drop only 1 player per week. Some of the best FAs I get are players other teams have dropped. I got a $1 E Santana that way.
                  Last edited by rhd; 06-02-2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I tend to burn it early and often. Always miss on some, but get tons of value.

Comment

Working...
                    X