Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And the next closer not named "Rodney, Fernando" to lose his job is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the next closer not named "Rodney, Fernando" to lose his job is...

Tony Watson? Rivero is pitching mostly lights out and Tony seems to be on fumes. Yes, a clean inning last night but his change-up (his bread & butter) is getting pounded this year (.250 Iso in 2017 vs. average of .057 last four years, per Fangraphs) or he's flat out missing his spots. Rivero probably already owned in most leagues, but he's my latest spec pick to hopefully move up the ranks.

And here's Fangraphs blurb on Watson from 2 days ago...

• Tony Watson got the win after Andrew McCutchen hit a walk-off homer which is nice but it also meant that he blew the save (his third of the season) as well. On the year Watson has a very mediocre 4.03/5.31/4.82 ERA/FIP/xFIP pitching line. As a lefty without considerable swing and miss stuff, Watson may not be long for closing in Pittsburgh. Behind him we have Felipe Rivero and Daniel Hudson and I would look to grab Rivero pretty soon if you’re looking for saves. Although he is also a lefty, his 0.68/2.80/2.90 pitching line with nearly a 27% K% is more in line with what one expects out of their closer. Tony Watson might not have much leash left and I’m moving this situation to red as I would rather sound the alarm a tad early over having you pass on placing a bid on Rivero.
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

Good info, and while we're at it, who IS the next closer for Ariz? Is it Bradley?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Good info, and while we're at it, who IS the next closer for Ariz? Is it Bradley?
      By money's on Bradley since they're no longer talking about stretching him into the rotation. Fangraphs:

The other closer to blow a save on Wednesday was Fernando Rodney. If it seemed like it had been a while since he had blown one, that’s because it was. Rodney’s last failed save attempt was on April 29 against the Rockies, so he was this close to making it through May without a blown save. Given that Rodney had thrown 55 percent of his pitches for strikes over his previous nine May appearances, it was just a matter of time before he got himself into trouble. Against the Pirates on Wednesday, Rodney walked the first two batters. That left him, and his Diamondbacks teammates, with little room for error. It was, in fact, a Paul Goldschmidt error that loaded the bases, and Alen Hanson scored the tying run on a subsequent double-play ball hit by Jordy Mercer.

This was far from a meltdown for Rodney, but the outing shows how his control issues create the potential for a blown save in any given appearance. Earlier in the season, I would have been inclined to speculate on J.J. Hoover, as it was hard to see manager Torey Lovullo committing Archie Bradley to the closer role. However, Bradley is no longer making multiple-inning appearances, and the emergence of Zack Godley makes his presence in the rotation less necessary. With the need to use Bradley as a long reliever or starter less imperative, it seems more likely now that he could be the Diamondbacks’ closer at some point in the coming weeks.
      12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
      1B-Cron
      2B- Villar
      SS- Andrus
      3B-Baez
      MI-L. Gurriel
      CI- Y.Gurriel
      OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
      UTIL- Benintendi
      BENCH: Pence, Dyson
      SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
      RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
      IL: Buxton

Comment

I just traded for Bradley and have him in both of my NL leagues. Rivera in another league. Also can't count out Nicasio. Ramos for Mia has struggled but his set-up pitchers Barraclough and Ziegler have both been terrible. Maybe Phelps.

Comment

Working...
        X