2k17: Mitch Haniger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k17: Mitch Haniger

Haniger was talked up a lot by Fangraphs especially before the season. He was mediocre for a while in the minors, then retooled his swing in the middle of last year and took off. He's been carrying the Mariners so far this year.

As of this morning, he's 1st in the AL in runs, 2nd in RBI, T-2nd in walks, 5th in OBP, 7th in OPS.

It could be just a hot streak, but Fangraphs had another interesting article about him today: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mitch...ne-boring-one/

Long story short, I’ve run another player comparison. Specifically, I’ve searched for hitter comparisons, ignoring defense and baserunning entirely. For now, I’ve settled on four statistics that reflect a hitter’s profile. Obviously, there’s average exit velocity, and average launch angle. I’m also making use of contact rate, and the difference between Z-Swing% and O-Swing%. These four numbers capture discipline, bat-to-ball skills, and batted-ball skills. That covers much of the ground that needs to be covered.

This shows Haniger’s seven best comps; there’s a large gap between comp number seven and comp number eight. These are the only guys with Comp Scores under 1.0.

Read it aloud to yourself. For maximum effect, rearrange a couple names. Encarnacion! Harper! Bautista! Goldschmidt! Machado! Teixeira! …Plouffe. Six recognizable threats, and Trevor Plouffe.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

I have him in every league & mock I've done save AL Tout where I backed out of a bidding war with Nando. Stupid, stupid, stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      I have him in every league & mock I've done save AL Tout where I backed out of a bidding war with Nando. Stupid, stupid, stupid
      Well having him in every league but 1 doesn't sound very stupid to me.

Comment

I have him in one league and was surprised when the bidding just stopped at 14 in an only league. I was essentially price enforcing, and suddenly, he was mine. I wasn't dissatisfied at the time, and obviously am not now. I do expect a fair amount of regression, baseball is a cat and mouse game and pitchers will find his holes, and then it's up to him to counter...I think that he will.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Strained oblique, out 3-4 weeks

Comment

Tyler O'Neill time?
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Could be, but they might just put Motter out there - they were looking for somewhere to play him when Segura came back.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                Could be, but they might just put Motter out there - they were looking for somewhere to play him when Segura came back.
                Good point.

And to add insult to injury, the Tigers are absolutely unloading on the Seattle pitching staff.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  Tyler O'Neill time?
                  I don't see it, they have Motter who can play the OF, so can Valencia. They have a bigger problem with Felix right now...he looks like he's about done.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    I don't see it, they have Motter who can play the OF, so can Valencia. They have a bigger problem with Felix right now...he looks like he's about done.
                    Yeah, Felix was sent home for a comprehensive arm exam, concerns are his shoulder is toast.

Comment

well, it was nice while it lasted.

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 8.57.21 AM.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Strained oblique, out 3-4 weeks
                        Rebuilders go get him.

Comment

Working...
                        X