The Arizona Humidor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Arizona Humidor

The D-Backs are getting a humidor. Apparently they'll start using it in May.

and some analysis: http://www.hardballtimes.com/a-humid...-up-with-that/

So what do we conclude? I am very comfortable saying that, with the humidor running at 50 percent and 700F, there will a reduction in home run production at Chase by 25-50 percent. While it would be nice to come up with a more precise prediction, we should not lose sight of the principal takeaway that the installation of a humidor will reduce the number of home runs substantially.
    Big, if true.

Whatever it takes to make the Greinke contract and Shelby Miller trade not look catastrophic.
    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
      Whatever it takes to make the Greinke contract and Shelby Miller trade not look catastrophic.
      Goldschmidt can get a boatload of walks. Pollock and Peralta can get plenty of doubles and triples. Even Jake Lamb can get some doubles. Drury too It would make for an interesting offensive change.

Yasmani Tomas with 50% less homers, though... yeesh.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Goldschmidt can get a boatload of walks. Pollock and Peralta can get plenty of doubles and triples. Even Jake Lamb can get some doubles. Drury too It would make for an interesting offensive change.

I'm wondering what will happen to Goldy and Lamb as well - I suspect pitchers will be a lot more aggressive going after both. But, yeah, Tomas seems to be the most directly affected.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Tomas was actually better on the road last year, so I don't see it being terrible for him.

Comment

Read Nathan's THT piece last night on the plane. Yikes

Comment

I wish they would make these kind of changes or at least announce them prior to the season starting.

Signed multi D-Back hitter and no D-Back pitcher owner.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                I wish they would make these kind of changes or at least announce them prior to the season starting.

Signed multi D-Back hitter and no D-Back pitcher owner.
                It does seem mildly strange that MLB allows such a drastic change mid-season.

Comment

It does seem mildly strange that MLB allows such a drastic change mid-season.
                  I'm also surprised it is not more tightly regulated and controlled. If a change can be made mid-season can it be changed game to game? Can the home team adjust the balls to the preference of the starting pitcher? If they are starting a terrible pitcher can they just weigh down the ball dramatically to prevent all home runs and even the playing field? Who checks this? Do we have a humid-gate coming akin to inflate-gate?

Comment

Here is some more on it: http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/a-h...is-a-big-deal/

Comment

Did this happen?

Comment

I haven't seen or heard anything more about it. I am wondering if it's on hold until after the season?

Comment

Would also love to hear an update on this. Any Zona insiders here?

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                            Would also love to hear an update on this. Any Zona insiders here?

Comment

There wasn't any external pressure on them to add the humidor, was there? Somehow I doubt that when the team is playing .600 ball that they'd make any major changes.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X