Which hot start sticks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which hot start sticks?

A couple of young hitters are off to a hot start either as they've gotten more playing time or generally rebounded after disappointing/injured seasons. Curious to see how the pen would rank the chances of their hot start sticking? Not looking for any one category in particular but just general overall ability to contribute to a fantasy team this year.

Those players are:

Mike Moustakas
    Avisail Garcia
    Yasmany Tomas
    Mitch Haniger
    Steven Souza
    Aaron Judge

Thanks!

Tomas
    Moustakas
    Haniger
    Judge
    Souza
    Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      Tomas
      Moustakas
      Haniger
      Judge
      Souza
      Garcia
      This looks good to me. I might flip Haniger and Mouse Tacos, but Haniger is more of a gamble, so I'd stick with this ranking.

Comment

what about Headley in this list?

edit: d'oh - not so young.
        Last edited by bryanbutler; 04-18-2017, 11:15 PM.
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          This looks good to me. I might flip Haniger and Mouse Tacos, but Haniger is more of a gamble, so I'd stick with this ranking.
          Really? I'd put Moustakas first in this group by a good margin. He proved in 2015 that he has this skillset. .280/25/80 seems well within reach. I think the injury shortened 2016 season gave us a bad data point that almost should have been ignored.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
            Really? I'd put Moustakas first in this group by a good margin. He proved in 2015 that he has this skillset. .280/25/80 seems well within reach. I think the injury shortened 2016 season gave us a bad data point that almost should have been ignored.
            I certainly wouldn't argue against him being #1 on this list--he did show more in 2015 than the rest of this list has ever shown, and he is clearly the safest pick of the bunch. That said, I think Tomas has untapped upside that he may be ready to show this year, so I agree with Revo about gambling on Tomas 1, Moustakas 2, especially if one is in a position where they think they need to gamble on upside to compete.

I do also like Haniger and Judge, and could see either or both outperforming the others in a best case scenario, but they are young, likely to be inconsistent, and have less job security if they get into a long term funk. So, they represent too much downside to put above Moustakas, who could easily be the top performer, and also has a very solid floor, if he stays healthy.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 04-18-2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

If that's what you think Moose will do, well, that's pretty much what Tomas really did do last year (.272, 31, 83). I'll take the guy who did it over the guy we have to hope can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                If that's what you think Moose will do, well, that's pretty much what Tomas really did do last year (.272, 31, 83). I'll take the guy who did it over the guy we have to hope can do it.
                Sorry I missed Tomas, I agree, and I see Moustakas and Tomas pretty similarly. Haniger/Judge/Souza are the "never done close to that before" bunch.

Comment

Sorry I missed Tomas, I agree, and I see Moustakas and Tomas pretty similarly. Haniger/Judge/Souza are the "never done close to that before" bunch.
                  Moose kind of did it too and he is off to a hot start. You could flip a coin between the two. Maybe Moose's 3B eligibility is the deciding factor. I'd still take Tomas by a slight margin, but I think him and Moose are easily the top two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    A couple of young hitters are off to a hot start either as they've gotten more playing time or generally rebounded after disappointing/injured seasons. Curious to see how the pen would rank the chances of their hot start sticking? Not looking for any one category in particular but just general overall ability to contribute to a fantasy team this year.

Those players are:

Mike Moustakas
                    Avisail Garcia
                    Yasmany Tomas
                    Mitch Haniger
                    Steven Souza
                    Aaron Judge

Thanks!
                    Why is Tomas on this list. I thought it called for 2017 hot starts against a down 2016. He had a pretty good 2016
                    Last edited by FBP; 04-19-2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FBP View Post
                      Why is Tomas on this list. I thought it called for 2017 hot starts against a down 2016. He had a pretty good 2016
                      Agree, that's why I missed him entirely when I was evaluating the list.

Comment

Originally posted by FBP View Post
                        That's a good point. That's what I get for throwing the list together late at night without remembering to look at last year's numbers!

Appreciate everyone's help and insight.

Comment

Working...
                        X