Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know you guys thought you were done looking at these...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know you guys thought you were done looking at these...

... but I felt like I had to post, for the sake of posterity.

4/07 draft in Las Vegas (hence the delayed reactions on posting the draft result - had to make sure my liver was still functioning properly). Our 18th draft in LV, guys come in from all over the country, for a league that started in college in the midwest in the mid-90s. All but two of those drafts have been conducted in the Mandalay Sports Book, and for 14 straight we've had the same waitress, who charges us not a dime for the ever-filled buckets of premium beers and water glasses full of Maker's Mark (although a sizable tip is given). The levels of debauchery at these draft weekends are such that I couldnt even decide on a story for the other "how old is your league?" post. Anyway, on to the draft.

I finished 2nd last year, after leading most of the second half of the season, and had the title slip away in the final two weeks, after a controversial non-ruling by the Commissioner (who wound up winning the league). We nearly came to blows over this pre draft, before hugging it out and changing a rule going forward. I had a fairly ridiculous keeper list (and majorly crossed fingers that my $1 Big Papi would reconsider retirement).

Check it:
    AL 4x4, $260
    (* designates keeper)

C W Ramos $5
    C C Vasquez $1
    1 M Cabrera $40
    3 N Castellanos* $11
    CI C. Carter $2
    2B J Segura $32
    SS M Semien* $10
    MI B Dozier $26
    DH T. Plouffe $1
    OF G Springer* $15
    OF JD Martinez* $15
    OF C Davis* $26
    OF J Ramirez* $1
    OF B Buxton* $10

P C Carrasco* $10
    P M Tanaka* $17
    P D Duffy* $10
    P J Paxton* $6
    P M Stroman* $2
    P C Morton $1
    P S Dyson* $1
    P K Herrera* $10
    P E Diaz* $6

I've never come into a draft with a staff like this, and for this little salary. I had the max (15) keepers, and more money per player to spend than anybody in the league. The only wild card was that we added a new team this year with a fresh roster. I had several player combo scenarios for my top end targets, and Miggy/Dozier/Segura was in the top 2 or 3 of those. Pretty much everything went to plan, I intended to stash Ramos for about $5, and I'm satisfied with my $1 grabs. I'm bullish on the season. I've had some pretty strong teams in the past, but this should be a fun team to own.

I know you wanted to read one more of these, so I thought I'd share

PS - I added Avi Garcia at draft for JDM ()
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

That's a strong team, no doubt. The closers have upside but also risk. I think you have enough firepower to wait for Ramos and JD Martinez. I admit I'm pretty jealous of this squad.

Comment

Impressive team. You have some big time BA risk, but look dominant in HR/RBI and decent in SB. Pitching looks solid across the board, even with Dyson seemingly melting down. Health is your main pitching risk - neither Carrasco nor Paxton have been pictures of health, and Tanaka's arm issue is well known. But overall, this team has got to be a contender.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
      X