Trade Edwin Encarnacion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Edwin Encarnacion?

I have an offer of Carlos Gomez, Max Kepler, and Cody Allen for my Encarnacion, Charlie Morton, and Nate Jones in a 14 team league. This is a saves/holds league, so closers are devalued a good bit. Still, I like the Allen for Jones part just fine, and I can afford to give a pitcher, and I could use the OF depth. I can also afford to lose Edwin, as I also have Freeman and Votto in my 1b and corner slots. I use Edwin as a utility hitter most days.

Still, EE is clearly the best player in the deal, and as a general rule, I hate trading clearly the best player in a deal a league this size. I'm not sure the bump I get in Allen and Kepler for Morton and Jones is enough to offset the lose I take in going from EE to Gomez in my daily line up. Thoughts?

No my brother!!

Comment

Nope, at the end of the season, EE will have 35/100+ and Gomez/Kepler MIGHT come near that combined. And I like Morton a lot...it's really not close for me at all.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Yup, I'd pass pretty quickly on this one.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeah, I figured as much, and told him it wasn't enough. He is offering to include Ronald Acuna for Sean Newcomb in the deal. I like Acuna, but he is far away, and I am positioned to win this year. Is that enough to get it done?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Yeah, I figured as much, and told him it wasn't enough. He is offering to include Ronald Acuna for Sean Newcomb in the deal. I like Acuna, but he is far away, and I am positioned to win this year. Is that enough to get it done?
            No, it's not. You're still giving up the two best players in the deal, IMO. And Acuna, enticing as he may be, is 4 years away from doing anything to help you.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              No, it's not. You're still giving up the two best players in the deal, IMO. And Acuna, enticing as he may be, is 4 years away from doing anything to help you.
              I'm with you on the deal, but shocked at the two best player comment. You like Morton better than Gomez, Kepler, and Allen?

Comment

I'm with you on the deal, but shocked at the two best player comment. You like Morton better than Gomez, Kepler, and Allen?
                Yeah, Gomez is pretty well done, IMO. He's got some spurts left, but it looks like he's left his best days behind him. Kepler is going to be a nice player, but he's still got holes in his game as well. And I like Allen better than most, but I think at the end of the season, Morton is the better player by a bit...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Nope, not at all. On the odd chance he'd come back and offer one of those three for Morton, I'd probably take that deal. I like Morton well enough, but in a 14-team league, unless your benches are really deep, there's decent SPs to be found on the wire.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

The reasons not to like this deal are obvious:

- EE is as consistent a top power threat as there is;
                    - Gomez has recently failed, and failed miserably (WW fodder);
                    - Allen has a world-class bullpenner right behind him;
                    - Kepler is unproven and may end up as a replacement-level hitter this year;
                    - Morton, while I'm not a big fan, has increased his fastball velocity by 5 mph this year.

You're taking ALL the risk and getting, IMO, very little reward. It's a classic quantity over quality offer, and he's trying to take advantage of your patience with EE's slow start. Adding some deep MLer won't get it done. He needs to improve dramatically on Kepler or upgrade Gomez to a player a notch below EE for this to be seriously considered.

Comment

Working...
                    X