Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-Only FAAB bids

12-team NL-only 5x5 (OBP)

Our league switched this year from replacing DL/minors players after the auction with a reserve draft to just waiting until the first FAAB period. Because of this, I'm not sure how aggressive to be on my bids.

I have one utility spot to fill, how much would you bid on the following considering a $100 budget?

Jesus Aguilar (I'm also the Thames owner)
    Rio Ruiz
    Adeiny Hechevarria
    Scooter Gennett
    Tommy La Stella
    Juan Lagares
    Scott Van Slyke
    Arismendy Alcantara

Is it worth it to go up to $15 for Aguilar as an insurance policy? Normally FAAB bids stay in single-digits (except for newly-appointed closers) but with so many teams needing to fill open slots there will be a lot of competition. Then again, I'm sure a lot of teams will be hesitant to blow so much of their budget this early in the year.

Our league does it this way. We also allow $0 bids. So that makes a difference. Some owners spend big in the hopes of acquiring playing time for a full season. Many try to hoard their FAAB instead.

Personally I don't think Aguilar is worth it. And most of those guys are pretty bad. Hechevarria is most compelling ("Sad!").

Comment

I wouldn't bid that much either on him. I would be more conservative maybe going $7-8 depending on how worry I am with Thames. The rest are not worth more than a buck or two. Our league switched to the Vickrey system a few seasons ago which I like so owner might put in a bigger bid with hopes that any other team bidding is lower. example might be going $10 on him and next best bid is say is $4 then you get him for $5 - $1 over the second highest bid.

Comment

My only concern is there has been so much buzz on Aguilar taking his job - I think both Yahoo and ESPN had articles about it. Most teams will have multiple spots they need to fill so I wouldn't be surprised if at least one guy went $10+ on him since he's the sexiest name on that list right now.

Comment

It is a speculative bid no matter what. Thames hits and Aguilar never gets a chance to get PT you are out that amount of FAAB money. And if Thames loses PT to Aguilar there is no guarantee he will hit either. Spending $15 now is 15% of your FAAB amount with 6 months to go. You know your team and how competitive it is or isn't. Outside of Aguilar's minor league career he has only had 64 career ABs and spread over 3 season he has had 4 BB and 21 K so it hard to say he will be a productive hitter. He is now 26 so maybe he just hasn't had the opportunity to show what he can do. Also read that they could start Thames in the OF because he has played that position before Korea.

Comment

Thanks for the reality check - ended up getting Aguilar for $7 with the 2nd place bid being $6 so I didn't waste as much money as originally expected ��

Comment

Good job - looks like a wise investment to me.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                Thanks for the reality check - ended up getting Aguilar for $7 with the 2nd place bid being $6 so I didn't waste as much money as originally expected ��
                It is always fun when you guess right. Won him by a dollar. Good job.

Comment

I could justify $7 for Aguilar as opposed to spending $15. I think of FAAB as a kid in a candy shop. Sometimes it's hard not to spend those $$$.

Comment

Got another fairly crucial decision to make for this upcoming week's bids. One of the other owners for some reason dropped Adam Conley and I'm pretty thin at SP so getting him would help a lot. Tonight's outing will probably affect his price by a few dollars but right now I have a $6 bid on him. How high would you go in a league where the next best pitcher in the wire is Clayton Richard?

Comment

Got another fairly crucial decision to make for this upcoming week's bids. One of the other owners for some reason dropped Adam Conley and I'm pretty thin at SP so getting him would help a lot. Tonight's outing will probably affect his price by a few dollars but right now I have a $6 bid on him. How high would you go in a league where the next best pitcher in the wire is Clayton Richard?
                      After today, you'll likely need double to get him.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

You guys ROCK! Ended up bidding $11 and winning with the backup bid being $9 ��

Comment

I ended up with Phil Gosselin & Miguel Diaz in my first NL bids last night. Went 2 for 5 in my bids

Comment

The best pitcher in our league is Clayton Richard...oof. Our bidding is tomorrow night.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              I ended up with Phil Gosselin & Miguel Diaz in my first NL bids last night. Went 2 for 5 in my bids
                              Miguel Diaz looks very interesting although I'm not sure he has much of a path to saves. He reminds me a lot of Miguel Castro whose career hasn't ended up how I would've figured but he definitely wasn't managed properly.

Comment

Working...
                              X