Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL trade

NL 5x5 10 team keeper league

I give Eugenio Suarez who is $5 in his option year for Orlando Arcia $5 in second year of 3 year contract. Thoughts?

Arcia...much higher upside. While Suarez is actually a good player to own at a cheap price, the upside that Arcia brings is too much to pass on, IMO.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I like Arcia just fine, but for the next couple of years, he's a glove-first middle infielder who is up because of his defense and hopefully his bat will come along. He'll never have a ton of power and maybe only 20 SB speed. Maybe at his peak, long past the contract you'll have him for, he's a 20/20 guy.

I think Arcia would have trouble earning in three years what Suarez could get you in two.

Comment

Even as a Brewer homer, I keep Suarez. He's only 26, showed real improvement in plate discipline, walk rate, and power. He's in a favorable home park, and I didn't see anything indicating he's in for regression - his BABIP was pretty normal, ISO seems to line up with 20 HR power. I don't think Arcia comes close to .250-75-20-75-10 value, which I think is Suarez's baseline. If he can make an improvement in K rate, he has some real BA upside.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I think that the speed that Arcia displays is real. He's never stolen LESS than 20 bases in the minors, and he stole 8 last season with the Brewers and didn''t get caught.

As a former Suarez owner, I realize that he has value, I'd just rather have the extra year, and the upside, of Arcia.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

If you need speed Arcia. Power Suarez. Pretty even to me.

Comment

I traded for Arcia. What was a real consideration for me was position and contract. I had 3B filled and needed a SS which was scarcer in terms of draftable players. As to contract, Suarez is in his final year and to me he didn't have sufficient upside to extend. Arcia is in his second year so at a minimum I control him for 2 years. I also see speed as a premium need so that also weighed into the decision. I think I gave up a few dollars in profit, but not much. I also find it is a good strategy to let other owners "win" a trade if the dollars aren't that material. - sort of sowing seeds for later transactions, especially in a league where trades are hard to make. Does my reasoning make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by FBP View Post
                I traded for Arcia. What was a real consideration for me was position and contract. I had 3B filled and needed a SS which was scarcer in terms of draftable players. As to contract, Suarez is in his final year and to me he didn't have sufficient upside to extend. Arcia is in his second year so at a minimum I control him for 2 years. I also see speed as a premium need so that also weighed into the decision. I think I gave up a few dollars in profit, but not much. I also find it is a good strategy to let other owners "win" a trade if the dollars aren't that material. - sort of sowing seeds for later transactions, especially in a league where trades are hard to make. Does my reasoning make sense?
                Absolutely, it's the extra year that makes the difference in 2 similar players. And I think that Arcia has another gear in his game, he's still a baby at this point.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                X