Too Much for Greinke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Much for Greinke?

14 team keeper league. Been offered Greinke, who can't be kept next year, for either Matz $5, Jon Gray $5, or Shoemaker $5, and Mondesi $1, and minor leaguer Corey Ray. If I knew I was getting anything close to vintage Greinke, I wouldn't be posting, but his velocity concerns me. Of course, if he pitches well early in the season, the price might go up.

Should I do the deal? We keep up to 15 major leaguers and 20 minor leaguers, so we have lots of room for lesser keepers like my guys to provide value.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-28-2017, 02:19 PM.

Wouldn't do it until Greinke shows me something. Mondesi and Ray both have real value, and those pitchers are decent too.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I would run far away from this offer.

Comment

Hmm...I'm probably a little more optimistic on negotiating here. Given your minors structure, Corey Ray comes out. Then it depends on your speed needs. I'd happily give up Matz - whose elbow sure seems to be trending for failure - and Mondesi if I don't need his wheels this year.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Hmm...I'm probably a little more optimistic on negotiating here. Given your minors structure, Corey Ray comes out. Then it depends on your speed needs. I'd happily give up Matz - whose elbow sure seems to be trending for failure - and Mondesi if I don't need his wheels this year.
          Yeah, I'm all set at 2b--I have Dozier, Murphy, and Carpenter elg there. Currently playing Carp at 3b. I would have to make a trade to ever fit Mondesi in my line up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Yeah, I'm all set at 2b--I have Dozier, Murphy, and Carpenter elg there. Currently playing Carp at 3b. I would have to make a trade to ever fit Mondesi in my line up.
            Nothing wrong with keeping Mondesi off the competitors team until just the right time.

Just because we can afford to overpay does not mean we should.

Comment

Well, I was a bit hasty with a counter that he eagerly accepted, so overpay or not, the deal is done. I ended up giving Hutchison $1, Triggs $1, and Corey Ray for Greinke. I got to keep Mondesi, and the better arms. Ray was his primary target. He just wanted a couple of flyer arms back to fill the gap left by Greinke.

My thinking is that I'm in win now mode, and I needed the pitching upgrade. We have 30 man rosters, but even at that size, Triggs and Hutchison are not much of an upgrade over who I could pick up on the waiver wire to fill their roster spots.

I guess he was really worried that if he waited, he wouldn't be able to get anything for Greinke. On my end, I feel if I waited, and Greinke showed well, I'd have had to pay more. IDK. Clearly a risk, and maybe I could have moved Ray later for a better arm, but it seems like a fair swap for right now.

Comment

I don't hate that. I think if you have the tolerance for variance, it's a pretty reasonable deal.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I like this better than the other deal.

That said I am not a believer in Greinke.

This from rotor world today-

Zack Greinke surrendered three earned runs over four innings Tuesday in his final Cactus League outing against the Mariners.
                  Greinke sat mostly in the 88-89 mph range with his fastball and topped out at 90.4 mph, per beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. That's not good for a guy who averaged 91.3 mph on that pitch in 2016 and 91.8 mph in 2015. He is still owed $172.5 million from the Diamondbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    I like this better than the other deal.

That said I am not a believer in Greinke.

This from rotor world today-

Zack Greinke surrendered three earned runs over four innings Tuesday in his final Cactus League outing against the Mariners.
                    Greinke sat mostly in the 88-89 mph range with his fastball and topped out at 90.4 mph, per beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic. That's not good for a guy who averaged 91.3 mph on that pitch in 2016 and 91.8 mph in 2015. He is still owed $172.5 million from the Diamondbacks.
                    Yeah, maybe I should have waited. Another high risky pitcher I am thinking of acquiring is King Felix. Is he a better risk than Greinke? Should I give as much, more, or less to get him? Obviously, I'd prefer to get more sure things to shore up my rotation, but they are not available.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      Yeah, maybe I should have waited. Another high risky pitcher I am thinking of acquiring is King Felix. Is he a better risk than Greinke? Should I give as much, more, or less to get him? Obviously, I'd prefer to get more sure things to shore up my rotation, but they are not available.
                      Nope. I'd have taken the chance and made the deal.
                      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                      X