Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, already ran this past MoonlightJ via the bat phone, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, already ran this past MoonlightJ via the bat phone, but....

Collette kindly weighed in, but I want to open this up to you other roto geniuses...

I'm picking #6 out of 12 in a 6x6 mixed keeper re-draft (Bats: AVG, R, RBI, SB, HR OBP; Arms: W, K, QS, WHIP, ERA, SV)...24 rounds, we keep three each year, in round drafted last last year, and I'm keeping:

T.Turner rd 20
    X.Bogaerts rd 14
    M.Trumbo rd 12

So I'm starting off with three nice bats (Trumbo for HR/RBI, Turner/Bogaerts for AVG/R/some power...Turner for big SB and everything else, etc.)

In all mocks it seems like top 6 are Trout #1, then SOME combo of Altuve, Mookie, Arenado, Bryant, Goldy...I usually end up with Goldy, who I like for AVG, SB, OBP, 25 HR power, and 1B not AS super deep this year as in past years.

So, how would you rank the guys after Trout -- Altuve, Mookie, Arenado, Goldy, Bryant? Is there an argument for Machado, B.Harper, Donaldson, Kershaw?

For slight context, in 2nd round inevitably I come back with S.Marte (to get a real jump on SB between Goldy/Turner/Marte/handful from Bogaerts) or take a stud SP rotation anchor like Scherzer/Bum/Sale/Kluber...but I ALWAYS hope Blackmon falls to mid-2nd rd, which he rarely does. But Marte is usually my guy in rd2, with maybe Votto/Lindor in there.

But right now I'm assuming I'm starting Goldy/Marte...

THANKS!
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

Since you're starting with three pretty primo bats, I think there's a much stronger argument for Kershaw. In a redraft league, it'd about kill me to pass on Goldy or Bryant at 6, but I'd probably do so when I'm starting with your three keepers. I'd go get Votto without hesitation in the second round if he's available - in a league with BA and OBP, man, he's golden.

SBs are expensive this year, but you can still find good wheels later, but you're not going to find a .420-.450 OBP and a .290-.310 BA combination with good (not great) counting stats that Votto will give you.

All that said, Goldy or Bryant are excellent picks, too. In a W and QS league, I'd go stud SP anchor in round 2.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

With QS as a category also, I could see Kershaw sneaking into the top 6, but that's probably a 25% likelihood. You probably have it correct. So that means Goldy or Kershaw, and you can't go wrong with either. I'd lean Goldschmidt here.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        With QS as a category also, I could see Kershaw sneaking into the top 6, but that's probably a 25% likelihood. You probably have it correct. So that means Goldy or Kershaw, and you can't go wrong with either. I'd lean Goldschmidt here.
        With a 6th category on each side, the fact that Kershaw does not get you 1 of the pitching categories is slightly diminished (I think that is what you were already referenced above).

I think there is an argument for Kershaw being top 2 in that type format. I'd go Kershaw here.

Comment

I'd go Kershaw #1 in that format. The rules make an uber-stud starter so much better. Also helps great hitters (Miggy, Votto, etc.) and diminishes the importance of speed (only 1/12 the points of the league now, and usually comes with poor OBP).

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
            I'd go Kershaw #1 in that format. The rules make an uber-stud starter so much better. Also helps great hitters (Miggy, Votto, etc.) and diminishes the importance of speed (only 1/12 the points of the league now, and usually comes with poor OBP).
            Yeah, there's a lot of research going on now among the experts that show that having a Kershaw is actually a huge advantage...in a lot of the NFBC drafts, where they pay a LOT of money to compete, he's going in the top 3. If you're pitcher adverse, I'd probably go with Harper...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Thanks all...it's gonna be a damn tough coin flip between Goldy & Kershaw. That back injury scares me a little, though, don't wanna whiff on Rd 1.

C- J.McCann
              1B-Cron
              2B- Villar
              SS- Andrus
              3B-Baez
              MI-L. Gurriel
              CI- Y.Gurriel
              UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Originally posted by Msaint View Post
                Thanks all...it's gonna be a damn tough coin flip between Goldy & Kershaw. That back injury scares me a little, though, don't wanna whiff on Rd 1.
                Did anyone notice that Kershaw stole a base a couple days ago? I don't think his back is bothing him in the slightest.

Comment

kershaw went #5 (trout, altuve, arendao, mookie, kershaw), I went goldy over bryant....we'll see...

C- J.McCann
                  1B-Cron
                  2B- Villar
                  SS- Andrus
                  3B-Baez
                  MI-L. Gurriel
                  CI- Y.Gurriel
                  UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Okay, so here's the final tally drafting out of the #6 spot...I'll probably win SB in a landslide, will be in hunt for HR/RBI/R...could have the worst team AVG in league history ...OBP will be decent, not great...starters are thin, could rack up some K's and wins, but ERA/WHIP could be iffy... but there are some passable low end SPs on the wire (S.Lugo, C.McHugh, Chatwood, maybe a hail mary on Tillman?), could drop one of the spec closers like Hudson if he doesn't take over for Watson. Could rack up decent saves but the ERA/WHIP could be brutal.

C - Zunino
                    1B - Goldy
                    2B - T.Turner
                    SS - Bogaerts
                    3B - Valencia
                    CI - C.Santana
                    MI - Siemien
                    OF - Stanton, Trumbo, B.Hamilton, D.Fowler
                    UTIL - K.Davis
                    SP - Scherzer, Lester, R.Ray, I.Kennedy
                    RP - Melancon, Kintzler, K.Glover, A.Reed, Rodney, J.Gomez, D.Hudson

C- J.McCann
                    1B-Cron
                    2B- Villar
                    SS- Andrus
                    3B-Baez
                    MI-L. Gurriel
                    CI- Y.Gurriel
                    UTIL- Benintendi