2K17: Delino Deshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K17: Delino Deshields

Spring training "best shape of my life story" fully in tact, and I'm buying...

The story: after a great 2015 rookie season, he decided that he wanted to muscle up over the offseason and try to hit for more power. This is evident in the results of his 2016, higher K rate, lower BB rate, 4 HR in 182 AB compared to the prior year's 2 HR in 425 AB... Whoopty-woo, that doesn't do much for fantasy owners when his SB goes down from 25 to 8.

This spring, he decided to slim down to regain his 65-70 grade speed. Early results are extremely promising.

Spring 2011-2016: 149 AB, 11 SB, 7 CS
    Spring 2017: 51 AB, 11 SB, 0 CS

I think this rabbit just found another gear, and he's going to attempt to lock-down the leadoff spot with Texas this year... even if his bat struggles a bit at times, I can still see his increased speed resulting in 30-40 SB if he's able to lock down 450-ish PA.

I bring him up because I've read almost zero hype about him elsewhere, and I want to get the credit.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    Spring training "best shape of my life story" fully in tact, and I'm buying...

The story: after a great 2015 rookie season, he decided that he wanted to muscle up over the offseason and try to hit for more power. This is evident in the results of his 2016, higher K rate, lower BB rate, 4 HR in 182 AB compared to the prior year's 2 HR in 425 AB... Whoopty-woo, that doesn't do much for fantasy owners when his SB goes down from 25 to 8.

This spring, he decided to slim down to regain his 65-70 grade speed. Early results are extremely promising.

Spring 2011-2016: 149 AB, 11 SB, 7 CS
    Spring 2017: 51 AB, 11 SB, 0 CS

I think this rabbit just found another gear, and he's going to attempt to lock-down the leadoff spot with Texas this year... even if his bat struggles a bit at times, I can still see his increased speed resulting in 30-40 SB if he's able to lock down 450-ish PA.

I bring him up because I've read almost zero hype about him elsewhere, and I want to get the credit.
    And the blame as well, I assume?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

But where is he going to play? Assuming they keep Choo at DH, then LF is wide open, but they've got to play Profar somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        But where is he going to play? Assuming they keep Choo at DH, then LF is wide open, but they've got to play Profar somewhere.
        wait for the go-go implosion. (and i thought profar *was* playing LF?)
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

How much does he need to play to have value with his speed potential? In AL Only, where speed is so suppressed, I was targeting him Saturday but ran out of funds

Comment

A platoon is certainly possible.

By keep Choo at DH, do you mean off DL? That has been the real challenge.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

There's a long list of opportunities - Profar, Rua, and DeShields will all be in line for the LF role, plus the injury risk for Choo, the potential for regressive suckage for Carlos Gomez, and he can play 2B in the much less likely event Odor gets hurt. Worst case scenario is he plays the role Jarrod Dyson did for a number of years in KC - play 1-2 games a week, pinch run 2-3 times a week, and lands 20-25 SBs in that role. Best case is poor play and/or suckage puts him in a full-time role, he hits acceptably, stays healthy and steals a gajillion bases.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                There's a long list of opportunities - Profar, Rua, and DeShields will all be in line for the LF role, plus the injury risk for Choo, the potential for regressive suckage for Carlos Gomez, and he can play 2B in the much less likely event Odor gets hurt. Worst case scenario is he plays the role Jarrod Dyson did for a number of years in KC - play 1-2 games a week, pinch run 2-3 times a week, and lands 20-25 SBs in that role. Best case is poor play and/or suckage puts him in a full-time role, he hits acceptably, stays healthy and steals a gajillion bases.
                True. The good news for Deshields is that any injury to a non-catcher probably helps him, because if Andrus/Odor/Beltre/Napoli get hurt, Profar probably fills in there and opens up LF.

Comment

True. The good news for Deshields is that any injury to a non-catcher probably helps him, because if Andrus/Odor/Beltre/Napoli get hurt, Profar probably fills in there and opens up LF.
                  This is the key--while DeShields was once a 2B, they certainly wouldn't play him there with Profar (who is a perfectly adequate shortstop) hanging around, but it does still open up a spot, at least a platoon one. And, I imagine he plays 2-3 games a week anyway, as Profar will spell just about anyone on the field and he'll get the starts against righties in left.

Comment

Whew .... one week, 3 PA, 2 ABs.

It's a long season, but gotta suspect there are some frustrated Deshields owners right now.
                    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
                      Whew .... one week, 3 PA, 2 ABs.

It's a long season, but gotta suspect there are some frustrated Deshields owners right now.
                      Bottom line is that he's simply not very good. He had one weird season in the bigs, sank back down to AAA, and is lucky to be where he is right now. IF he stays on the roster, he'll somehow get 20 steals, but he'll do little else for you. I wouldn't be surprised if Gallo stays and plays super sub along with Profar when Beltre comes back...
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                      X