Clear All

• Keep Brandon McCarthy @ $5?

The league format:

* NL only keeper league
    * 4x4 - ERA, Wins, K's, Saves
    * 11 teams
    * $260 budget

The auction:

* Good starting pitching is scarce. Like, the top 5 best available are: Kershaw, then it drops down to Gerrit Cole and Rich Hill, and then another dropoff to the Matt Moore/ John Lackey tier.
    * I have Jaimeson Taillon and Jon Gray. I like to go starter-heavy to roll up W's and K's, so I'm looking to go with 6 or possibly even 7 starters.
    * There is a ton of money in this auction and not a lot of available talent, so I'm expecting steep inflation.

Given all that, it seems like a silly question. But, obviously, McCarthy is made of glass, and when he takes a beating, it's often severe enough to impact the team ERA.

So... keep him and pray for good health? Or drop him and roll the dice on a another $5 SP6 scrub starter with a healthier arm?
    Yes!
    0%
    No!
    0%
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

He can blow up on you with the best of them, but he can strike people out when he's on. Yeah, I'd say hold on to him...our RJEL auction showed that pitching is muy expensive this year. Might as well hold on and hope for the best, I doubt that you'd get him any cheaper if you threw him back.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Wins and no whip. I am in for $5. We all take chances somewhere.

Comment

Roll the dice on another $5 starter. Keeping a $5 McCarthy is like keeping a $5 Brett Anderson......you never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Roll the dice on another $5 starter. Keeping a $5 McCarthy is like keeping a $5 Brett Anderson......you never know what you're going to get.
          Best case, I'll get 9 wins, 120-ish K's, an ERA not too much over 4.00, and a few stints on the DL.

Worst case, he'll stink up the joint for six weeks, then go on the DL for several months and effectively be done for the year.

There aren't too many available $5 SP's in our auction who can match "best case" Brandon McCarthy.

In a typical auction, I'd cut him loose without a second thought. In an auction that is certain to be a starting pitching bloodbath, I look at the dung heap rotations in Cincinnati and San Diego and think that maybe that's not such a terrible gamble for five bucks.
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
            Best case, I'll get 9 wins, 120-ish K's, an ERA not too much over 4.00, and a few stints on the DL.

Worst case, he'll stink up the joint for six weeks, then go on the DL for several months and effectively be done for the year.

There aren't too many available $5 SP's in our auction who can match "best case" Brandon McCarthy.

In a typical auction, I'd cut him loose without a second thought. In an auction that is certain to be a starting pitching bloodbath, I look at the dung heap rotations in Cincinnati and San Diego and think that maybe that's not such a terrible gamble for five bucks.
            Speaking of the dung heap in San Diego, I just had my auction this Saturday and at one point, my Rotolab had Jarred Cosart with an inflation adjusted value of NEGATIVE $37. It was awesome.

Comment

Apparently McCarthy has NOT won a spot, but he is competing with Alex Wood for the final spot. No dice!

Comment

Apparently McCarthy has NOT won a spot, but he is competing with Alex Wood for the final spot. No dice!
                And the winner of that spot is just a placeholder for Urias. I'm out.

Comment

And McCarthy was named the 5th starter......

Comment

And McCarthy was named the 5th starter......
                    I don't believe for a minute that Ryu is going to stay healthy, and effective...of course the same can be said for McCarthy.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I kept him for $1 in my 12-team NL-only but I wasn't all that happy about it. His leash is quite short and could be a worthless long man before long, not to mention the injury risk. Plus, he's generally shown better WHIP than ERA so he loses a tiny bit of value in your format.

For reference, here are some of the guys who went for between $3-7 in that draft:
                      Shelby Miller
                      Amir Garrett
                      Adam Conley
                      Mike Leake
                      Clay Buchholz
                      Bartolo Colon
                      Jaime Garcia
                      Brett Anderson
                      Hyun-Jin Ryu (before he was announced as the 4th starter)

If you like him better than those guys then you might as well keep him at $5 as long as you're not bypassing someone better for him.

Comment

Working...
                      X