RJEL/rotolab question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RJEL/rotolab question

For those of you using Rotolab or some other projections tool - what did you have for pre-inflation projected catcher prices? The Fangraphs tool has something normal-ish looking - Posey $19, Lucroy and Sanchez $14, and then it drops off. The Mastersball numbers that I was using have Lucroy and Posey at $10 and only five more catchers above $5. It correctly priced 19 catchers at $1 or higher, same as Fangraphs, but that differential is weird.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

The former. I play with the settings (hitting/pitching split, inflation settings for stars/scrubs, etc) focusing on prices for the studs on offense (e.g. Altuve, Goldy and the Kershaw, Scherzer, etc) until they get to prices that I expect them to go for. I have found this generally works well and trickles down (e.g. I had Moustakas as $20 pre-auction which is what he went for but then there is always the outlier (cough, cough Hosmer) as well).

Thus, I had Posey a little north of $20 actually and partly because with his OBP he was a potential target of mine so planned to push there. It had a few others in the teens but then you also have to consider this league generally doesn't pay for catching being only a 1 catcher league. What I noticed pre-auction (and likely what Rotolab reflected) is that the majority of the catching pool is a huge drain on OBP. Thus, those with league average or better OBP seemed to get a bump.

Comment

my notes to myself from before the auction on the C position, which includes rotolab prices.

"C.

need 1.

total of 12 needed. 13 above $5 in rotolab:

20 Buster Posey ($26)
      15 Russell Martin ($11)
      12 J.T. Realmuto ($15)
      10 Brian McCann ($10)
      10 Salvador Perez ($12)
      10 Mike Zunino ($3)
      10 Stephen Vogt ($5)
      8 Matt Wieters ($7)
      7 Yadier Molina ($3)
      7 Yan Gomes ($2)
      6 Francisco Cervelli ($1)
      6 Jason Castro ($1)
      5 Chris Herrmann ($1)

but RJEL typically has a big drop (to $1-$3) after the first half-dozen or so. take a pretty big hit in OBA for all but Posey, Martin, Molina, Cervelli. target Cervelli?"

the parenthetical price was not in my pre-auction notes, but is the actual price paid at auction.

note that i ended up needing power more than OBA by the time the Cs dropped to a few bucks, so took Gomes instead of Cervelli. big question mark, but we'll see, and there are usually C to be had off the waiver wire (i took Barnes, but he's really a prospect flyer).

but, i see that you asked for pre-inflation prices. what i have above are inflated. i'd have to poke into rotolab specifically for that, but typically the average inflation is around 40% going into the auction, so i'd guess you reduce the above by that amount if you want pre-inflation values.
      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Todd Zola confirmed that it's a bug in his algorithms.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

In an OBP league, I really liked the Francisco Cervelli buy at $1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
            In an OBP league, I really liked the Francisco Cervelli buy at $1
            yeah, i probably should have not gone the $2 on gomes and gone for cervelli (stick to the plan!). ah well...
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I'm still surprised that nobody bid me up on Ramos...2 bucks was really cheap, IMO.

And you always like Cervelli, until you own him...never again.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                I'm still surprised that nobody bid me up on Ramos...2 bucks was really cheap, IMO.

And you always like Cervelli, until you own him...never again.
                well, ramos has the uncertainty of injury recovery (2nd time knee injury), and it's not clear he'll be able to retain the DH slot even when healthy in TB. with them signing norris he may not get the C position either. good flyer though...

i actually owned ramos once, so am on the flip side of that one .

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                  well, ramos has the uncertainty of injury recovery (2nd time knee injury), and it's not clear he'll be able to retain the DH slot even when healthy in TB. with them signing norris he may not get the C position either. good flyer though...

i actually owned ramos once, so am on the flip side of that one .
                  Obviously as a buyer, I don't see a lot of downside to Ramos at 2 bucks. I think that he'll do a lot of DHing, more than catching, IMO. And probably not up to speed until July. But I really don't think that Derek Norris is a roadblock, nor is Colby Rasmus. I can see Dickerson going back to the OF and Rasmus going to the bench...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Obviously as a buyer, I don't see a lot of downside to Ramos at 2 bucks. I think that he'll do a lot of DHing, more than catching, IMO. And probably not up to speed until July. But I really don't think that Derek Norris is a roadblock, nor is Colby Rasmus. I can see Dickerson going back to the OF and Rasmus going to the bench...
                    won't disagree strongly - just pointing out why there might be a downside. also partly depends on how smith does (who, as a buyer, i hope does well!).

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                      won't disagree strongly - just pointing out why there might be a downside. also partly depends on how smith does (who, as a buyer, i hope does well!).
                      No problem, but at 2 bucks, it's not much of a downside, IMO...if he doesn't come around, there's always another 2 dollar player out there to speculate on.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                      X