late RJEL recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• late RJEL recap

not so much a HDID, as i know pretty much where i fell down and where i did OK, but will post some observations and my roster and thoughts on it.

going in: i did predict inflation on pitching, and so was happy that i had kept a bunch of pitching (though you might argue it wasn't the right pitching ). but, like rick, i didn't predict it extending down into the mid- to even lower tiers. it really was a bit insane. we've had what i consider insane inflation on hitting before but never quite on pitching, at least like that (at least in the 6 years i've been in the league). i had intended to get one mid-level closer, and two $5-ish starters to bolster my keeper pitchers, but you'll see that that didn't quite work out. my pre-auction analysis showed a bit of a crunch in MI, which was not good for me as i needed all 3. CI and OF (and U) looked reasonable, and i expected there could be, if not bargains, decent prices had. C seemed bi-modal, with a couple of guys at the top and then i figured i could get a cheap one ($1 or $2).

going in, based on keepers + farm, i had the following tiers of teams:
    T1 - rick
    T2 - mike, hammer, brad
    T3 - dane, sean, ed, paul
    T4 - ray, michael, steve
    T5 - me, andy, nate, frae
    T6 - doig, jude, john
    rick had a powerhouse of keepers + farm, and was clearly the front-runner going into the auction.

auction: stud hitters went for high values, which i expected. that extended further down than i thought it would, and i ended up even paying relatively high prices for T3 or T4 hitters, which i didn't expect. and the pitching inflation really was my achilles heel. i ended up overspending on what little pitching i thought i still needed, and then not being able to catch up on hitting. you'll see from my roster what i mean. rick price enforced, as he should as the front-runner going in, and that didn't help the inflation. in terms of auction mechanics, it was one of the smoothest i've been involved in on CBS, and i've probably done 30 or 40 of them. 4 hours for an 18-team league is impressively smooth. the only tiny hiccup was in dollar days - it'd be awesome if CBS would figure out that nobody can overbid a $1 nomination and just finish the player immediately. but that really only extended things by about 10 minutes.

roster:

C Yan Gomes $2
    1B Tommy Joseph $3 (keeper)
    3B Pablo Sandoval $1 (keeper)
    CI Mike Napoli $18
    2B Dustin Pedroia $23
    SS Elvis Andrus $23
    MI Josh Harrison $11
    OF Steven Souza $1 (keeper)
    OF Kevin Kiermaier $4 (keeper)
    OF Melky Cabrera $16
    OF Shin-Soo Choo $8
    OF Matt Holliday $13
    U Mallex Smith $9
    U Michael Saunders $4
    Bench Austin Barnes $1
    Minors Josh Bell

P Madison Bumgarner $36 (keeper)
    P Justin Verlander $18 (keeper)
    P Dallas Keuchel $10 (keeper)
    P Sonny Gray $9 (keeper)
    P Collin McHugh $7
    P Blake Snell $6 (keeper)
    P David Robertson $19
    P Wade Davis $10 (keeper)
    P Ryan Madson $8
    Bench Tyler Anderson $1
    Bench Brad Hand $1
    Bench Sean Doolittle $2
    Bench Michael Feliz $1

analysis: strong in pitching, weak in hitting. it's a pretty easy analysis . i have myself middle-of-the-pack overall, carried by the pitching. but there are question marks there as well. you could question the sonny gray keep, but with the $5 keeper drop penalty, you have to ask whether you think he'll return $4 or not - i think he will (not much more, but might return the $9) - and whether he's occupying a critical keeper slot (he wasn't, for my roster). madson might not keep the closer role long, which is partly why i paid $2 for doolittle. mchugh is a question mark as he recovers from his injury (though all signs are positive currently). keuchel still has question marks surrounding him. but i think overall i compete well in pitching. hitting, well, is so thin that i will have to steal from the pitching to do much at all there. i'm happy with a couple of my purchases, but there's just not enough there. so, likely a rebuilding year, as much as i can.

ETA: my post-auction tiers are:
    T1 - rick, mike, hammer
    T2 - dane, michael, frae, brad, me, andy
    T3 - steve, ray, paul
    T4 - ed, sean, john
    T5 - nate, doig, jude
    with a lot of fuzziness at some of the boundaries.
    Last edited by bryanbutler; 03-25-2017, 08:47 PM.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Good stuff - I have the same top-3 right now but am left wondering if I lost my solo tier from a less than perfectly executed auction I kid but in all seriousness this is a league full of sharks which is why I love it so much. Not sure if anyone else price enforces but (a) it keeps me engaged in the auction and (b) if I'm not overpaying my targets on guys then I shouldn't mind winning them imo. I don't always do it this way but as you said I didn't want people getting values if I could help it.

I have you as 6th right now so not sure it will be a rebuilding year or not as health and breakouts (or lack thereof) will likely determine that. I generally play to either win or rebuild and avoid the in-between as its easy to get stuck there. You have the best pitching in the league by stats and naked eye so will come down to pulling together enough offense as you're weak in HR/R/RBI but thankfully they are all correlated. Tavares is a top prospect and could net you some pieces but then it comes down to whether you gain from the chase in 2017 enough to put yourself in a hole beyond. I love rebuilding (as evidenced by my farm system) so this is a fun game either way imo.

Comment

I think I mostly caught up to Rick in the auction if we froze the teams right now, but if he decides to sell off some of his farm midseason he just has way more bullets than I do. According to RHD's list he has the #2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 13, 18, 23, 25, 26, 35, 38, 40, 44, 60 minor leaguers. That's kind of dumb. I have #1, 10, 20, 48, 54, 55, and some lower guys, and that's definitely an above average list.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Your self-analysis is easy to agree with. Your pitching is balls nasty, but your bats shiv. (Reference, anyone?)

You do have some offensive guys I really like at their prices, namely Sandoval, Holliday, Smith. Bell could be a boon right away. I like just about all of your pitching, especially the two at the top. You should have plenty of save right out of the gate, but you know how those plans oft go awry. Doolittle was a great handcuff to get. And in a league where you can sit him for home starts, a solid COL pitcher for $1 is a nice thing to have, as long as you have relievers to stream in, which it appears you do.

You're probably going to need help across the board in hitting, as you appear to be wanting in power and speed (although not as much in speed), and your OBP may be middling too. If you don't get some real sterling performances from some key contributors as well as a few fliers, your offense will sink you and you may not be able to cover all the category deficits. If you're dealing from strength and you sell off an ace, you could probably get 1.5 good hitters for him in a good trade. A closer probably nets the same. So, I ask myself, would three more good hitters minus an ace and a closer, make this a contender? You know, it just might, but you have a narrow margin for error. This is a sneaky team. I'll be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          Your pitching is balls nasty, but your bats shiv. (Reference, anyone?).
          Is that the gang from the Dark Knight Returns or whatever the graphic novel is where Batman dies?
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
            Your self-analysis is easy to agree with. Your pitching is balls nasty, but your bats shiv. (Reference, anyone?)

You do have some offensive guys I really like at their prices, namely Sandoval, Holliday, Smith. Bell could be a boon right away. I like just about all of your pitching, especially the two at the top. You should have plenty of save right out of the gate, but you know how those plans oft go awry. Doolittle was a great handcuff to get. And in a league where you can sit him for home starts, a solid COL pitcher for $1 is a nice thing to have, as long as you have relievers to stream in, which it appears you do.

You're probably going to need help across the board in hitting, as you appear to be wanting in power and speed (although not as much in speed), and your OBP may be middling too. If you don't get some real sterling performances from some key contributors as well as a few fliers, your offense will sink you and you may not be able to cover all the category deficits. If you're dealing from strength and you sell off an ace, you could probably get 1.5 good hitters for him in a good trade. A closer probably nets the same. So, I ask myself, would three more good hitters minus an ace and a closer, make this a contender? You know, it just might, but you have a narrow margin for error. This is a sneaky team. I'll be watching.
            The Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller Original...

Now on to Bryans team...I think that you got caught in that dreaded no man's land of paying for middling players, and getting no studs, hitting wise. Great pitching as you know, especially that Bumgardner fella...I don't like Madson, but he's cheap as hell, and Robertson is good, but he could be dealt into a non-save situation, where I think that he may actually belong. Not much power, not great speed...I think that you'll need to do a lot to contend.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I have the tiers (using Rotolab, but with heavy edits to the projections, and with elevating likely MLers) as:

Big Tymers
              ~~~~~~~~
              Catulli, Putsy, Suicide Squad
              ~~~~~~~~
              Battle Axes, Bastards, Bombers, Preachers, Underbelly, Beveridges, Sonny
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              Lights, Scrapheap, Doigs, Marxists
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Froman, Strikers, Basebaldo

Comment

Working...
              X