Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet Another RJEL HDID

18 tm, very competitive, 5x5 w/OBP

I was a contender the last two seasons, but finished just out of the money both years, costing myself the #1 overall pick twice, as well as most of my farm guys and cheap studs. In any case, I expected this to be kind of a rebuilding year, so my strategy was to have one eye on the future while getting some tradeable commodities and still staying somewhat competitive.

C - Realmuto $15
    1B - Hosmer $41
    2B - Gennett $3
    3B - Bryant $6 k
    SS - Machado $54
    CI - Flores $1
    MI - JPolanco $3
    OF - Trumbo $24 k
    OF - Duvall $1 k
    OF - Grichuk $4 k
    OF - Bradley $8 k
    OF - Heyward $13
    UT - Headley $2
    UT - Danny Santana $1

P - DeGrom $12 k
    P - Matz $6 k
    P - RHill $2 k
    P - DSalazar $27
    P - Andriese $1
    P - Berrios $4
    P - Cobb $7
    P - Familia $6 k
    P - Kintzler $2 k

B - DeSclafani $1
    B - Brantley $17
    B - Gallo $2
    B - Mesoraco $1
    B - Burns $1

In my minors I have Gsellman $1 who will be up immediately.

This is one of my favorite teams from the draft. Solid from top to bottom with no huge holes. I think you'll be hurting for SBs sooner or later and will probably want to make a move in that direction before too much of the season gets away from you, because I think you have a competitive team here. Power-wise, you should be top of the heap, or close to it.

I often look at the two biggest dollar players and see how they stack up against other teams. You paid $95 for Hosmer and Machado. I like both of those guys, but holy shit, that's a lot to pay for two bats. You make up for it by having a strong keeper list, but out of context, it's steep. You also went a little high on speculative hitters, ones that I was also bidding on but fell out when the price got too high, namely Brantly and Heyward. That's $30 spent on two pretty iffy bats. At half that, I would have been happy. Again, out of the context of the team, it looks high.

I really like your pitching. You have a lot of Mets and a lot of injury risk (Matz, Hill) but you didn't overpay at all.

Comment

Ha! I saw my team falling way behind in steals quickly, and the cheaper SB options got away from me late (Mallex Smith, Alcides Escobar, etc).

I totally agree with you on the two high priced bats, but my plan is to deal them if I fall out of it, so better to get studs than spreading the wealth.

I looked at Brantley and Heyward more for '18 than '17.

And I love me some Met pitching (and almost got Harvey, too!)

Thanks Dane!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        18 tm, very competitive, 5x5 w/OBP

I was a contender the last two seasons, but finished just out of the money both years, costing myself the #1 overall pick twice, as well as most of my farm guys and cheap studs. In any case, I expected this to be kind of a rebuilding year, so my strategy was to have one eye on the future while getting some tradeable commodities and still staying somewhat competitive.

C - Realmuto $15
        1B - Hosmer $41
        2B - Gennett $3
        3B - Bryant $6 k
        SS - Machado $54
        CI - Flores $1
        MI - JPolanco $3
        OF - Trumbo $24 k
        OF - Duvall $1 k
        OF - Grichuk $4 k
        OF - Bradley $8 k
        OF - Heyward $13
        UT - Headley $2
        UT - Danny Santana $1

P - DeGrom $12 k
        P - Matz $6 k
        P - RHill $2 k
        P - DSalazar $27
        P - Andriese $1
        P - Berrios $4
        P - Cobb $7
        P - Familia $6 k
        P - Kintzler $2 k

B - DeSclafani $1
        B - Brantley $17
        B - Gallo $2
        B - Mesoraco $1
        B - Burns $1

In my minors I have Gsellman $1 who will be up immediately.
        I'd agree with Dane for the most part, those bats will bring a good return if you do indeed fall out of it. But I'm not so sure that you do...Hosmer is an overpay, IMO, and I have always been a Heyward hater, I just don't see this guy rebuilding his game to become a .275/20/20 guy again, but I've been wrong plenty in my life. Like the Brantley buy in this league especially, also love the Gallo buy...great OPB guy, and of course, light tower power. Mesoraco for a buck, well worth the chance.

I think that Salazar for 27 is too much, but if he put it together finally, worth it. You'll probably need another closer, but you'll be OK in saves.

All in all, I really do like this team, need to add speed, but that's not a hard thing to do in mid-season, and one of the easiest cats to make up ground in. Nice Job overall Ed, and great job running the auction!
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Nice work, revo! Solid team across the board. Strikes me as lacking in star power, but steady production after your big two. I'm not a big Salazar believer (control and health scare me). But DeSclafani and Andriese for a buck each is awesome. Very light on speed, but not the end of the world. Before ST I was very high on Heyward, but his recent stretch leaves me very concerned. Price is right for speculation though. I would guess this has the feel of a 4th-7th place team right now, depending largely on health/luck. Problem is if you're really rebuilding, I'm not sure you can flip your guys easily. You have 2 top-end guys but a ton of guys who aren't "sexy"... Can you get rebuilding chips in RJEL that way? I guess you're probably close enough to contending that you didn't need to tear it down and can try another run (given your keepers like Bryant, deGrom, etc.).

Good luck!!

Comment

Solid team all the way around. I know he's only one player, but Salazar could be the key here. You had a great keeper base to start with and Salazar has the ability to have number 1 or 2 upside at not number 1 or 2 price. He needs to show that last season's ailment is nothing significant. Maybe he'll be helped by the fact that he didn't pitch deep into the playoffs like Kluber, et al. and he still has life in his arm.

Comment

i actually think you struggle a bit more than previous responses. in hitting, you know the SB problem, but i don't see the runs or OBA either. and in pitching the Ks and ratios may be tough (W as well though less so). thought hosmer was an overpay, but based on inflation at that point, it was the market. didn't mind the machado price. thought realmuto was an overpay, as there was value in cheaper C and that money could have been used elsewhere. i actually didn't mind the heyward price - good at that point, and liked the cheap headley. gallo is interesting, at that price worth the flyer. with pitching, will hinge on degrom and salazar having a '15 instead of '16 year, and matz living up to the potential. like the cheap andriese and desclafani buys.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
              X