Ouch! Tough AL Auction. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch! Tough AL Auction. Help!

Tough auction in our AL 5x5 12-team league. Definitely paid full price regularly (and more than full price on occasion). My keepers were very strong coming into the auction, so still have a shot. Bottom line I really struggled with fiscal discipline.

I would really appreciate your suggestions on an action plan (focus trade efforts on acquiring pitching? Trade to balance the offense / reduce stars and scrubs?). Thanks in advance. Keepers marked with asterisks, but easy to pick out by salary. Here is the team:

C - Carlos Perez 1
    C - Tony Sanchez 1
    1B - Carlos Santana 25
    2B - Rougned Odor 13/final*
    SS - Tim Anderson 8*
    3B - Yunel Escobar 2
    MI - Robinson Cano 38
    CI - Steve Pearce 6
    OF - Mookie Betts 18*
    OF - JD Martinez 20*
    OF - Mark Trumbo 22*
    OF - Melky Cabrera 17
    OF - Tyler O'Neill 2 (8 when called up) - will replace via FAAB
    DH/UT - Jason Kipnis 22
    P - Edwin Diaz 11*
    P - Aaron's Sanchez 7/final*
    P - Chris Sale 36
    P - Kendall Graveman 2
    P - Mike Fiers 2
    P - Jose De Leon 5 - will replace with FAAB
    P - Luke Gregerson 1
    P - Joe Kelly 1
    P - Liam Hendriks 1

I also have Francis Martes in a minor league slot (will be $5 when called up).
    Last edited by Sharky; 03-23-2017, 09:17 AM.

How many teams?

Comment

12 teams. Sorry.

Comment

This does not look like an "ouch" to me.

In a 12 team ONLY league you go in expecting to have some holes. On offense, your catchers are pretty terrible, but there are only ~10 catchers in AL Only that aren't going to fit into that category. The rest of your offense is solid. Obviously Kipnis and JD's injuries need to be watched closely.

On the pitching side you have a very good closer, you have your ace and SP2 in Sale/Sanchez, and then you have some end game pitchers.

Obviously it's going to take some work - you have some holes due to injuries and players in the minors, and you'll need to improve your pitching staff with some back end starters, but the "bones" of this team are above average. I'd take that any day.

Comment

Great keeper list, but you already knew that. Not thrilled with the Kipnis buy (and this from someone who has owned him the last couple of years). I think that money could have been spent better to address other needs -- a mid-level starting pitcher that won't hurt the gains Sale and Sanchez will give you, and a little more speed. You have power and prospects to deal though. Nice team.

Comment

Thanks very much. I looked back this morning at priced paid overall. Am feeling much better. Agreed on Kipnis; will be looking to deal him. However, consider prices paid for other middle infielders vs. Kipnis:
            Jean Segura 36
            Jose Altuve 53
            Elvis Andrus 29
            Dustin Pedroia 28
            Ian Kinsler 32

But the bigger question is where you would look to improve/shore up the team. Ken suggests back-end SP (and I will also need to backfill for O'Neill and De Leon). Was also thinking this is a little light on speed. Any other suggestions?

Comment

I agree with Ken - your first mission needs to be a decent SP. Fiers may not even start, and you better pray Joe Kelly never touches the mound as a SP.

The combo of JDM and Kipnis could be very ugly the first month.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                I agree with Ken - your first mission needs to be a decent SP. Fiers may not even start, and you better pray Joe Kelly never touches the mound as a SP.

The combo of JDM and Kipnis could be very ugly the first month.
                Thanks! So who would you look to trade away to land that SP? Minor leaguers are ineligible to be traded except in next offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                  Thanks! So who would you look to trade away to land that SP? Minor leaguers are ineligible to be traded except in next offseason.
                  If anyone needs OF help, you might be able to secure a lower tier SP and OF for one of your better OFs. Normally, I'm not a big 2-1 guy where you're giving up the better 1, but it might work well for you here.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    If anyone needs OF help, you might be able to secure a lower tier SP and OF for one of your better OFs. Normally, I'm not a big 2-1 guy where you're giving up the better 1, but it might work well for you here.
                    Two for Ones like that work well in an Only league where there is basically no free agents available.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      This does not look like an "ouch" to me.

In a 12 team ONLY league you go in expecting to have some holes. On offense, your catchers are pretty terrible, but there are only ~10 catchers in AL Only that aren't going to fit into that category. The rest of your offense is solid. Obviously Kipnis and JD's injuries need to be watched closely.

On the pitching side you have a very good closer, you have your ace and SP2 in Sale/Sanchez, and then you have some end game pitchers.

Obviously it's going to take some work - you have some holes due to injuries and players in the minors, and you'll need to improve your pitching staff with some back end starters, but the "bones" of this team are above average. I'd take that any day.
                      I agree with Ken. I would not panic and wait a few weeks to see how things pan out as well as see who the hot hand is on the waiver wire.

Comment

Working...
                      X