Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need YOUR help - NL-ONLY

12 team, NL- only

Going into the draft, I have 4 of the first 16 picks of the draft. I need some help with roster construction. Each team kept 5 and 2 rookies. We start 2 C and it's 5x5

I have pick number 9 and 11 of first round. I then have 2nd and 4th picks of 2nd round.

Here is who is available -

Billy Hamilton
    Carlos Martinez
    Matt Kemp
    Maikel Franco
    Justin Turner
    Joc Peterson
    Brandon Belt
    Mark Melancon
    Zach Greinke
    S Piscotty
    Gerrit Cole
    Wade Davis
    Ian Desmond
    Yasmani Grandal
    Keon Broxton
    Logan Forsythe
    K Maeda
    T Watson
    AJ Ramos
    Eric Thames

Which 4 players should I be targeting? I'm thinking I need to get one of CMart/Cole/Greinke/Maeda as my number 2 with Bum. But unsure of whether I need to get a CL.

My team currently is

C - Tom Murphy
    C -
    1b - C Bellinger (Minors)
    2b - Peraza
    SS -
    3b -
    CI -
    MI -
    Of - Yelich
    Of - G Polanco
    Of - Adam Duvall
    Of -
    Util -
    Util -

P - Bumgarner
    P -
    P -
    P -
    P -
    P -
    P -
    P -

I would be looking to get in this order

Billy Hamilton
    Maikel Franco
    Brandon Belt
    Carlos Martinez
    Joc Peterson
    Mark Melancon
    S Piscotty
    Wade Davis

I am assuming speed and saves are scares so a closer and Hamilton are a priority if I am you.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I do not like to forfeit any categories, so yes you need a couple of closers. I just wouldn't take one with your first 4 picks.

Because you have Bumgarner I know I wouldn't take a pitcher with the first 3 picks. With the 4th pick I would take the best player available even if that was a pitcher. The draft would dictate my pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        I do not like to forfeit any categories, so yes you need a couple of closers. I just wouldn't take one with your first 4 picks.
        In an only league you need 1 closer to stay competitive in the category. Since the "first" round is really at least the 6th round in this draft given that each team kept 5, I'd try to get Melancon there and then focus elsewhere with the other 3 picks. I doubt he lasts until pick 9 though.

Comment

we need to look more carefully at the question - he has picks 9 and 11 and Hamilton is not going to fall that far.

Comment

Yeah, I think Hamilton and Melancon are my top 2, then C-Mart, Franco/Belt/Piscotty/Turner, then the other SPs (Maeda, Cole, Greinke). If you don't get Hamilton you may want to consider Broxton. I know you have a lot of speed but I assume you can trade.

Comment

More than likely, Hamilton will be gone. 8 guys will be snapped up before I pick.

Comment

Also....I've been offered Freeman plus a 4th rd and 6th rd for Christian Yelich and my 2nd pick and a 3rd rd pick (I have 2 3rd rd picks).

Is this upgrade from Yelich to Freeman worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bgraham10 View Post
                  Also....I've been offered Freeman plus a 4th rd and 6th rd for Christian Yelich and my 2nd pick and a 3rd rd pick (I have 2 3rd rd picks).

Probably not

Freeman is the 4th best 1b in the NL but Yelich is pretty solid too

assign a few players that should be your picks and who fits in in the other picks and compare

I just realized that there are 5 keepers per team out there so it is almost like starting in round 6 in an NL only league so your existing players (on each team) are all going to be more valuable than any draft pick - so you want picks really as early as possible
                  https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/rankings/nl-only.php

Comment

I wouldn't do it.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Assuming Hamilton is gone, my first pick would be Turner, then a closer, then no strong preference from what's going to be left - I assume since you listed 20 guys, by your picks 14 and 16 that list will be mostly empty and you should take whatever's left. I also like Piscotty but no reason to fill your outfield that early.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

In a strange twist, CarGo is in the draft pool, which will increase my chances of getting the team I need.

Also, should I even consider the likes of Stephen Matz, Julio Urias or Jameson Tallion with one of those picks?

Thanks for all of your input!!
                        Last edited by ; 03-21-2017, 12:40 PM.

Comment

In a strange twist, CarGo is in the draft pool, which will increase my chances of getting the team I need.
                          I'd tread carefully with CarGo. His power was down last year, and it's very likely that he won't be hitting in Coors Field after the trade deadline.
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Also, should I even consider the likes of Stephen Matz, Julio Urias or Jameson Tallion with one of those picks?
                            No. If you're inclined to use a pick on a starting pitcher, it should be Carlos Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                              I'd tread carefully with CarGo. His power was down last year, and it's very likely that he won't be hitting in Coors Field after the trade deadline.
                              And even still, he's worth much more than a 6th round pick in NL only, so he's very valuable in this particular scenario. If he somehow slide, I don't see any way you don't take him.

Comment

Working...
                              X