Schwarber vs. Franco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schwarber vs. Franco

I am the owner of both players. They are the same price and their contracts are up. I can give either or both an increase of one year.

I am not going to stand pat on both as I will most likely need one of them as trade bait in season. This is a Chicago market so a few league members have a bias, but for the most part these guys do not let homerism affect their decision making.

Both are young. Schwarber has to looked at as an OF for this year and maybe for next as well. Franco is more desirable at 3B and more proven. Schwarber has a lot of hype but has performed well at all levels. Will playing time be an issue for Schwarber? Most feel the Cubs need his bat in the lineup. I am not so sure that he gets 500 abs.

I want to make sure I am not blinded by my love of the Cubs and this local hero.

Who do you like better for this year and next?

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I am the owner of both players. They are the same price and their contracts are up. I can give either or both an increase of one year.

I am not going to stand pat on both as I will most likely need one of them as trade bait in season. This is a Chicago market so a few league members have a bias, but for the most part these guys do not let homerism affect their decision making.

Both are young. Schwarber has to looked at as an OF for this year and maybe for next as well. Franco is more desirable at 3B and more proven. Schwarber has a lot of hype but has performed well at all levels. Will playing time be an issue for Schwarber? Most feel the Cubs need his bat in the lineup. I am not so sure that he gets 500 abs.

I want to make sure I am not blinded by my love of the Cubs and this local hero.

Who do you like better for this year and next?
    Typically I've been anti-Schwarber. But you have Schwarber who's ADP sits at 71 and Franco at 144, and in a Chicago market...

Worst case if you aren't high on Schwarber you flip him for someone else better than Franco.

Seems like a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Typically I've been anti-Schwarber. But you have Schwarber who's ADP sits at 71 and Franco at 144, and in a Chicago market...

Worst case if you aren't high on Schwarber you flip him for someone else better than Franco.

Seems like a no brainer.
      Thanks Ken.

I have only played in auction leagues. Honestly ADP is not something I pay an overabundance of attention to. I do not care if Trout or Betts is #1 or if Kershaw is taken before Bryant. I also have both players rated much closer in value that what your ADP suggests.

I agree with you that there is a slight advantage for trading Schwarber in a Chicago Market. Most of the players in our league are too smart to make that much of a difference.

I really appreciate reading what you post in here. So what I am interested in is what YOU think regarding these two players It matters to me why you have been anti-Schwarber. Taking that into consideration who would you (and anyone else in here) rather have?

You are advocating taking anti-Schwarber over Franco. Should this lead me to believe you like Franco less than anti-Schwarber?

Comment

Thanks Ken.

I have only played in auction leagues. Honestly ADP is not something I pay an overabundance of attention to. I do not care if Trout or Betts is #1 or if Kershaw is taken before Bryant. I also have both players rated much closer in value that what your ADP suggests.
        I only play auction as well, however ADP gives you a good idea of relative player value regardless of inflation and helps to place all on a relatively similar playing field. So ADP of 71 should be at least roughly equivalent to the ~70th most expensive player in your auction, assuming no keepers.

I agree with you that there is a slight advantage for trading Schwarber in a Chicago Market. Most of the players in our league are too smart to make that much of a difference.
        I think market value plays out universally, and Schwarber's market value is higher, regardless of what I personally think of him. Unless there are 14 other people who evaluate exactly like me in your league, my personal opinion of a player tends to be much less relevant than the market valuation. You only need 1 guy who likes the player.

I really appreciate reading what you post in here. So what I am interested in is what YOU think regarding these two players It matters to me why you have been anti-Schwarber. Taking that into consideration who would you (and anyone else in here) rather have?
        I've been anti Schwarber because a) he lost catcher eligibility which was one of his attractions, and b) because he hasn't proven to be a top player across a large MLB sample set. He has 236 ABs and he's hit just .242 in those ABs (granted, AVG is not something I trust, but I'm trying to emphasize that he just hasn't proven it to me). The scouts are all very high on Schwarber and he passes the eye test. But I just think he's being overvalued at his current ADP/Auction price.

That said, Franco has not given any indication that he's ready to be a top tier 3B yet. He's talented enough to end the season top 10 at 3B, but he hasn't show that yet either.

You are advocating taking anti-Schwarber over Franco. Should this lead me to believe you like Franco less than anti-Schwarber?
        I'm higher than market on Franco, and I'm lower than market on Schwarber, but I would still place Schwarber well ahead of Franco. That's why I mentioned the significant gap originally.

Comment

Thanks for taking the extra time.

I love Schwarber but would not put him in the Top 71 players without being catcher eligible.

Comment

Thanks for taking the extra time.

I love Schwarber but would not put him in the Top 71 players without being catcher eligible.
            I would not either, but that's where he's been going.

For example, 73rd overall in Mixed LABR: http://rtsports.com/labr-mixed-draft

Franco went 97th.

Comment

I think homerism has to up price just a little. At least 1 guy would over pay even just slighlty bc they would rationalize it as it's there guy. My league is mostyl good about not upping price too much but always here comments like "at least I get to watch all his games and live when I go to the stadium" The priced gets uped for sure by a little.

Comment

I would think that 70ish ADP has him figured in with catcher eligibility.

I see them as similar projection wise but no playing time concern at all for Franco.
                Comparing a Fantasy Baseball Draft to an Auction is like comparing Checkers to Chess!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post

I see them as similar projection wise but no playing time concern at all for Franco.
                  I believe Schwarber will hit the same or slightly more hrs. with less ABS.

I have them both at $15. They both will be done this year unless I give them a raise at $5 per year. I have made the difficult decision to play them both out and take the profit and extra $10 into the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by kldub4life View Post

Negative, that's as an OFer. I agree with you that it is overpriced.

Comment

Working...
                    X