Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird vs Thames

Who would you rather have?

This is for my sim team so the deciding factors a bit different. For example, if Bird platoons but crushes RHs, that is actually a good thing, since the traditional counting stats like Rs and RBIs don't count.

I could hold on to both and drop Willy Adames, but I actually really like him and figure I don't need two 1B. (I also have Abreu).
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Who would you rather have?

This is for my sim team so the deciding factors a bit different. For example, if Bird platoons but crushes RHs, that is actually a good thing, since the traditional counting stats like Rs and RBIs don't count.

I could hold on to both and drop Willy Adames, but I actually really like him and figure I don't need two 1B. (I also have Abreu).
    Isn't Adames starting the season on the ML club?
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Really? I hadn't heard that but that's great news if true.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Comment

I don't know if I can wrap my head around sim enough to give good advice. For me, Thames is the obvious choice for standard leagues. But in this specific set up, Bird might be better. I do think Bird will be splitting time, and while that will suppress his counting stats, it should help with the stats that matter to you.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          very unlikely

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            very unlikely
            Any idea on ETA?
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
              very unlikely
              This is what I get for following you on twitter :P
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I might still take Thames. If he goes 250/340/460 and plays full time, how much better than that is Bird going to be even if he just faces righties? Maybe 265/325/475? Maybe? I'm a Bird owner and a Yankee fan, and by no means the leader of the Eric Thames bandwagon, but I think there's a real chance you get 600 ABs vs 450 ABs of basically the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  I might still take Thames. If he goes 250/340/460 and plays full time, how much better than that is Bird going to be even if he just faces righties? Maybe 265/325/475? Maybe? I'm a Bird owner and a Yankee fan, and by no means the leader of the Eric Thames bandwagon, but I think there's a real chance you get 600 ABs vs 450 ABs of basically the same thing.
                  That's useful feedback, thanks! I figured Bird would post a higher on-base but the projections listed on Fangraphs have him ranging from .309-.345. Another factor to consider is their age since this is a keep forever league.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    That's useful feedback, thanks! I figured Bird would post a higher on-base but the projections listed on Fangraphs have him ranging from .309-.345. Another factor to consider is their age since this is a keep forever league.
                    I'll give Bird the edge in AVG (and it might be a big one if he only faces righties) but I expect Thames will have a big edge in walk rate.

Comment

I don't know if this is a factour, but at least on CBS, his position eligibility is only in OF (his last position he played in the US before Korea), so depending on your league rules, he might not be eligible right away on 1B.

Comment

Are these the only choices? I am non-plussed by both.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Are these the only choices? I am non-plussed by both.
                          My other three spots will be filled by Schwarber, Margot, and McCullers.
                          - Terence McKenna

Comment

Can you leave the spot blank was my question that I phrased poorly. If it is required or the league is so deep it is obvious you keep, I get it, but hard to make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                              Can you leave the spot blank was my question that I phrased poorly. If it is required or the league is so deep it is obvious you keep, I get it, but hard to make a decision.
                              We can keep up to 5 'ineligibles' but if I drop them they can not be re-acquired until next year's draft. For example, I drafted Schwarber in 2015 but then dropped him and so had to trade up to the #1 pick last year to draft him. I'm hoping to do a better job of hanging on to prospects henceforth but still struggle (drafted Margot last year but dropped him mid-season). McCullers is eligible but I have 6 SPs so have to keep one on my reserve list. (Lester, Hill, Bumgarner, Arrieta, & Archer)

Because our sim uses the previous season's stats, if a batter doesn't acquire 250 PAs, then he's 'ineligible' and I can't use him next year. I have a feeling Adames will reach 250 but it's a gamble. If I knew he wasn't going to get 250 PAs, I'd drop him and keep both Bird and Thames. It's confusing for those unfamiliar with the format so hopefully that makes sense.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                              X