My 2017 PONY Roster / Opinions & Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 2017 PONY Roster / Opinions & Help Needed

Junk Dogz, post draft. Thoughts? Opinions sought regarding needs/weaknesses, please? 5x5, 15 team mixed keeper league, 10 reserves, 7 minors

C- Yasmani Grandal
    C- Evan Gattis
    1B- Jose Abreu
    2B- Dee Gordon
    3B- Yulieski Gurriel
    SS- Corey Seager
    MI- Chris Owings
    CI- Joey Gallo
    OF- Yoenis Cespedes
    OF Jay Bruce
    OF- Curtis Granderson
    OF- Travis Jankowski
    OF- Brett Gardner
    UT- Jacoby Ellsbury

P- Jacob deGrom
    P- Noah Syndergaard
    P- Vince Velasquez
    P- Robert Gsellman
    P- Jharel Cotton
    P- Dylan Bundy
    P- Aroldis Chapman
    P- Roberto Osuna
    P- Sam Dyson

Res- Jorge Polanco
    Res- Shelby Miller
    Res-
    Res-
    Res-
    Res-
    Res-
    Res-
    Res-
    Res-

Minors- Dansby Swanson
    Minors- Yoan Moncada
    Minors- Yadier Alvarez
    Minors- Robert Stephenson
    Minors- Gleyber Torres
    Minors- Amir Garrett
    Minors- Lucius Fox

The Reserve Draft has just started, and I'll have picks again soon. I know it's difficult to advise specific pick-ups, but in general terms, what are my team's weaknesses? I think my pitching should be set, but I have a lot of concerns with my batters. I'll move Swanson to MI, then Owings to UT and Ellsbury up to OF and Jankowski to RES. I don't know what possessed me to draft Gallo... it was the end of the auction and I bought him for $1. I'll need to replace him asap in the Reserve draft... and I know my BA really sucks, and I may have to trade some of my pitching away to build it unless I find help with my remaining Reserve draft picks and ongoing with waiver wire hidden gems. I'd really appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone is willing to help me with this team. Many thanks!

I think that the glaring thing is a lack of power. Unless Gallo plays regularly, and Bruce has a rebound, you need some help...having 3 Met outfielders...well.

Good speed and good pitching, I think that Bundy breaks through this year. And you've got at least 2-3 guys in your minors who are going to help.

All in all, I like the team, well balanced and you actually could surprise me with the power...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't think it's too bad. You've got a lot of potentially useful AVG (Gordon, Yuli, Abreu, Seager) and if those guys hit close to their top ends, and guys like Grandy and Bruce hit .230 rather than .200, your AVG isn't a disaster. Figuring out how to put a power bat in that Gallo spot would help - at least you've got a ready-made bat in the minors (Swanson) even if the positions don't work out. Even with Gordon I'm not 100% convinced you have enough speed unless you get 20-25 each from Ellsbury and Jankowski. Then again, I've got 300 steals, so 80 might be enough for 2nd place.

That's like the world's riskiest pitching staff, though. Thor really helps but it seems really unlikely that you hit on all 4 of VV, Gsellman, Cotton, Bundy, so plan accordingly. At least you've got saves.

Are there Sam Dyson believers out there? I think your best bet is to find someone who thinks he's a top 15 closer and flip him for a bat. That may not work, so you may have to hope Dyson holds on and deal Osuna instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I think that the glaring thing is a lack of power. Unless Gallo plays regularly, and Bruce has a rebound, you need some help...having 3 Met outfielders...well.

Good speed and good pitching, I think that Bundy breaks through this year. And you've got at least 2-3 guys in your minors who are going to help.

All in all, I like the team, well balanced and you actually could surprise me with the power...
        This was pretty much my first thought before reading the comments. I do think you lack in power even assuming Bruce is good this year.

Still should be a fun team to tinker with.

Comment

Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts, I really do appreciate it!

I think my biggest job right now is to find a replacement for Gallo in our Reserve Draft. I know this is a difficult question to answer not knowing exactly who might be available, but any suggestions of deeper CI who I might look for? Right now I have these as options: RZimmerman, Flores, Lind, Cuthbert, Headley, YEscobar & Valencia... any thoughts on these? Any CI sleepers to keep an eye on?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post
            Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts, I really do appreciate it!

I think my biggest job right now is to find a replacement for Gallo in our Reserve Draft. I know this is a difficult question to answer not knowing exactly who might be available, but any suggestions of deeper CI who I might look for? Right now I have these as options: RZimmerman, Flores, Lind, Cuthbert, Headley, YEscobar & Valencia... any thoughts on these? Any CI sleepers to keep an eye on?

Thanks again
            Is Mitch Mooreland available?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Is Mitch Mooreland available?
              No, he isn't. He would have been the type I'm looking for, without question. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I'd go Zimmerman. It's ugly, but there is power upside there and it is obvious that this is what you need. Profar available? He's probably going to get more AB's than Gallo, but he doesn't bring the power, but there is breakout potential.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  I'd go Zimmerman. It's ugly, but there is power upside there and it is obvious that this is what you need. Profar available? He's probably going to get more AB's than Gallo, but he doesn't bring the power, but there is breakout potential.
                  Yeah, I'm thinking Zimmerman might be my best choice at this point, but it'd be a bitter pill to swallow. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Profar went in our Reserve draft just a few picks before mine. He would have been my choice, but...

I'll have to decide something sooner than later from these ugly ducklings to at least cover myself. Perhaps I'll be able to work out a trade to address my power shortage.

Comment

Hmmm...I'm going to log a late disagreement; I'd go with Danny Valencia. Even in a part-time gig, I'm confident he outperforms Ryan Zimmerman. And I think he'll get similar to the 450-500 AB he had last year.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                    X