Last Keeper Decision...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Keeper Decision...

Hey guys, I have a bit of a dilemma...3 not great keepers for my last spot in a 10 keeper league. 5x5 with OBP replacing Average.

I have Mauricio Cabrera for a buck, Brandon McCarthy at 3, and Matt Strahm at 3.

Currently leaning towards Cabrera, not a believer in Johnson, so hoping that Cabrera becomes the closer before too long.

McCarthy is pitching lights out in ST, but we know what that's worth.

And Strahm is the wild card, who knows what's going to happen with him...

So what say you, smart people of the 'pen? Thanks in advance...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

As you say, not a great trio. If you are willing to be patient, I'd go with Cabrera. He is only a Buck, after all. But you might have to wait a long time for him to pay off.

Comment

I've got some bats too, Parra for 6, Wieters for 10, Pujols at 31, Pedroia at 17...any of those guys sound better?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I've got some bats too, Parra for 6, Wieters for 10, Pujols at 31, Pedroia at 17...any of those guys sound better?
        I'm a Pedroia fan. Not much profit at that price, unless inflation is really high. But depending on what was available at 2b/MIF in the auction, I might consider keeping him for price certainty on a guy I like. Obviously Cabrera has more profit potential, and at a buck no big loss, even if you become impatient and decide to cut him in a month or two.

Comment

I'd probably keep Pedroia out of that bunch. Cabrera's fine, but I doubt it costs you more than $3 to get him back, if that, and even if the Braves do get rid of Johnson at some point they still have Arodys Vizcaino who's been the closer before.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            I'd probably keep Pedroia out of that bunch. Cabrera's fine, but I doubt it costs you more than $3 to get him back, if that, and even if the Braves do get rid of Johnson at some point they still have Arodys Vizcaino who's been the closer before.
            Y'know, that's a really good point about Vizcaino...he's got the history that managers like. I appreciate the feedback from you guys.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

McCarthy for $3
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Tbh, I'm not sure I'd keep any of them, so if you're leaning Cabrera I'd stick with him, primarily because he's just a buck so no pressure to hold on to him.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

You might want to give Parra in Colorado some real thought. Dahl's injury could give him some more playing time. If you're in the hunt for this year that might be the way to go.

Even without the Dahl impact, he's a nice 4th OF there.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                    You might want to give Parra in Colorado some real thought. Dahl's injury could give him some more playing time. If you're in the hunt for this year that might be the way to go.

Even without the Dahl impact, he's a nice 4th OF there.
                    He is, but in an OPB league, he's not a real special player. But for 6 bucks, he might be worth a shot...Coors effect and all that. Thanks for the input.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Desmond's injury might make Parra a bit more attractive. Who do the Rockies shift to first. Does that open up even more playing time for Parra?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        Desmond's injury might make Parra a bit more attractive. Who do the Rockies shift to first. Does that open up even more playing time for Parra?
                        Good thought, Rotowire has Parra listed as the starting 1st baseman now...I think I might do that. Thanks!

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          Good thought, Rotowire has Parra listed as the starting 1st baseman now...I think I might do that. Thanks!
                          I'd go with Parra
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

a couple notes:

1) I hadn't noticed this is RJEL. My advice is going to be a lot worse now.

2) The Rockies still have Mark Reynolds in the org (he signed a minor league deal) and he hit pretty well last year. I don't know if they'll make Parra learn a new position instead of just plugging Reynolds in. For what it's worth, mlb.com thinks Reynolds will start (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/news/#player_id=448602).

3) Knowing that it's RJEL actually makes me like Cabrera more. Since we use our auction dollars on our bench, we're pretty much guaranteed to have 5-10 $1 players per team, so it's not like you're clogging up a starter's spot with this speculative pick. I kept Sean Doolittle at a dollar (I think) last year on that basis even though he was injured.
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                              a couple notes:

1) I hadn't noticed this is RJEL. My advice is going to be a lot worse now.

2) The Rockies still have Mark Reynolds in the org (he signed a minor league deal) and he hit pretty well last year. I don't know if they'll make Parra learn a new position instead of just plugging Reynolds in. For what it's worth, mlb.com thinks Reynolds will start (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/news/#player_id=448602).

3) Knowing that it's RJEL actually makes me like Cabrera more. Since we use our auction dollars on our bench, we're pretty much guaranteed to have 5-10 $1 players per team, so it's not like you're clogging up a starter's spot with this speculative pick. I kept Sean Doolittle at a dollar (I think) last year on that basis even though he was injured.
                              Parra played 19 games at 1st last season, so he's done it before, and I'm thinking that Colorado wants to get something out of their 4 year investment. Either way, he's an uninspiring player, a mediocre hitter who might top out at 10- homers and 10-15 steals if he has a great (for him) year. I still like Cabrera, but I've got to do some more digging on Vizcaino to see if Cabrera is going to be the guy to replace Johnson.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X