League Rules for Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Honestly, if it's in the constitution, and it everyone understands it, you can put in whatever limits you want to. One league I'm in has a 200 inning limit for pitchers before you have to promote them to the major league roster.
    I completely agree, the caveat is the bolded part above.

Having it set as almost the same as the MLB rookie eligibility is the part that will cause confusion. Your 200 IP league makes sense. Having a limit that's very similar to the MLB rules but with edge cases that are different will cause confusion and frustration from those that don't actually understand it.

Comment

Someone in my league pointed out that it was our intent to follow the MLB rules so maybe we should change it to say exceeds 130/50.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        Someone in my league pointed out that it was our intent to follow the MLB rules so maybe we should change it to say exceeds 130/50.
        Or to simplify even further you can just have it say "maintains rookie eligibility by MLB standards"

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Or to simplify even further you can just have it say "maintains rookie eligibility by MLB standards"
          Then you will need to take the service time into account and that gets way too confusing to figure out. We have some people in the league who still struggle with sending emails...

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Then you will need to take the service time into account and that gets way too confusing to figure out. We have some people in the league who still struggle with sending emails...
            Mentioned above a couple times. Go to http://www.baseball-reference.com. Search for player. Done. If they can't do that then I have no idea how they can lookup ABs or IP.

Comment

Mentioned above a couple times. Go to http://www.baseball-reference.com. Search for player. Done. If they can't do that then I have no idea how they can lookup ABs or IP.
              If I go to Gurriel's page I can immediately see his career ABs. Where do I see his service time? Also, can you pinpoint the exact day in which he no longer because a rookie? You can do by looking at the game logs rather easily if you are going by ABs or IPs.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Is there a way you can get your league hosting service to automatically notify once a player has lost his rookie eligibility? Lot's of sites can do custom work now, that could be something to look into.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

If I go to Gurriel's page I can immediately see his career ABs. Where do I see his service time? Also, can you pinpoint the exact day in which he no longer because a rookie? You can do by looking at the game logs rather easily if you are going by ABs or IPs.
                  It's on the 8th line under his name but you can search for "rookie".

"Rookie Status: Still Intact through 2017".

Perhaps your leagues are different than mine, but why do you need to pinpoint an exact date?

Also, if you have gone to the lengths of looking through game logs, you are at the details point where you can also just apply the MLB rules and look for ABs/service time.

Comment

It's on the 8th line under his name but you can search for "rookie".

"Rookie Status: Still Intact through 2017".

Perhaps your leagues are different than mine, but why do you need to pinpoint an exact date?

Also, if you have gone to the lengths of looking through game logs, you are at the details point where you can also just apply the MLB rules and look for ABs/service time.
                    We need to know because once the player crosses the threshold owners have two weeks to activate the player otherwise the player is waived. We don't have a bench. We have DL spots and you can reserve a player if they get sent down. Prospects have different contracts when they are drafted in the the minor league draft but once they hit the 130/50 threshold they lose that contract and owners need to activate the player or lose them. This is same for a player coming off the DL or returning from the minors. The reason for this is to prevent owners from stock piling players.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                      Is there a way you can get your league hosting service to automatically notify once a player has lost his rookie eligibility? Lot's of sites can do custom work now, that could be something to look into.
                      That's a good idea. Thanks

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

We need to know because once the player crosses the threshold owners have two weeks to activate the player otherwise the player is waived. We don't have a bench. We have DL spots and you can reserve a player if they get sent down. Prospects have different contracts when they are drafted in the the minor league draft but once they hit the 130/50 threshold they lose that contract and owners need to activate the player or lose them. This is same for a player coming off the DL or returning from the minors. The reason for this is to prevent owners from stock piling players.
                        Gotcha, yeah that gets complicated no matter how you slice it. Lets say you have a player who had 45 ABs the previous year you have to stay on top of him and watch out for his 85th AB of the year. Seems like it would be easy to miss. I'd personally handle that in the offseason only but everyone handles it differently.

I agree with Gwynn, it would be great to have notifications. I don't know what source would be used though.

Comment

To answer your question I looked at my league's rules. The rules interchangeable use "exceeded" and "reached". So I guess we have something to work out now, and since I have Gurriel....
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

We use "exceeded" 130 AB for losing minor league eligibility. But any rule seems fine as long as there isn't ambiguity. Good luck resolving your Yuli Brynner Gourriel problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X