Cruz vs Bautista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruz vs Bautista

I have a well-balance keeper list of 15 players, so I only have a few needs going into my auction. One of them is RF, where there will only be two premium options, and both of them are 36 years old. So, which of these relative geezers (both younger than me, but in baseball years...) do you prefer, given their perceived value/projected costs?

I know that without considering costs, Cruz is preferred by most. He went 4 rounds higher in the RJ Mock draft. That amount of difference surprised me a bit. Is that over-correction from last year, or does it accurately reflect the decline in Joey Bats? Is Cruz really much better and/or less risky? Frankly, I really wish there was a younger option available, but these are clearly the best RFers left, and I have money to burn, so I plan on landing one of them.

Edit: I set this up as a simple either or, because I rank these two as the best options, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that there is really a big three left at RF--Trumbo is available as well. I notice he actually went above Joey Bats in the Mock Draft. I guess it is hard for me to believe he is as good as he showed last year, but if there is overwhelming consensus that he is the guy I should target, I'll have to overcome my skepticism. I prefer the two 36 year olds, but at the same time, their age scares me a bit, even though Cruz has shown no signs of slowing or breaking down.

With the DH spot not available in Toronto, I worry about Bautista's health playing all those games on that turf. He's probably the highest upside/risk guy, although Trumbo is pretty risky, too. Cruz is probably the safest, and that might be what you want.

Comment

Joey Bats has been showing a lot of signs of decline. Cruz hasn't. I go for Cruz first, Trumbo second, and Joey Bats third, but with not a lot of differential between Trumbo and Joey.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeah, I'll join the chorus and go Cruz...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          With the DH spot not available in Toronto, I worry about Bautista's health playing all those games on that turf. He's probably the highest upside/risk guy, although Trumbo is pretty risky, too. Cruz is probably the safest, and that might be what you want.
          Yeah, I think safe is the way I want to go. The paranoid in me thinks it may be Cruz's year to fall off the cliff, but he really hasn't shown any signs of that.

About the DH not being available in Toronto--you don't think Joey B will find any ABs at DH this year? Morales hasn't been a consistent paragron of health and production, but I guess they wouldn't have overpaid for him if they didn't plan on having him hit every day.

Comment

Cruz easy pick for me.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Cruz easy pick for me.
              Yeah, my fear is that Cruz goes for quite a bit more than Bautista or Trumbo though. I'm wondering at what point, price differential wise, to take the risk on one of those two.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                Yeah, my fear is that Cruz goes for quite a bit more than Bautista or Trumbo though. I'm wondering at what point, price differential wise, to take the risk on one of those two.
                I thought you have money to burn so I assumed price was not a big issue.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I thought you have money to burn so I assumed price was not a big issue.
                  Well, I do, but if I overspend on Cruz, it may mean I have to settle for whichever of Freeman, Votto, and EE go the cheapest. Conversely, if I overspend on Freeman, I may have to settle here. My league has a few owners that lock in, and pay whatever the costs for their guy. I guess in comes with us keeping 15 players, and having high inflation. Lots of owners have money to burn and few needs, so they overspend on top available talent.

I'm hoping to have enough to land both Freeman and Cruz, with enough to spare for a catcher, and more pitching. But I have a fear that both of those guys will be targeted as the best available at their positions in the auction.

Comment

I think I'd prefer Trumbo if he comes cheaper than Cruz. I think he's .250 and 35 this year and why pay significantly more for Cruz? I'm scared to death of Joey Bats.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      I think I'd prefer Trumbo if he comes cheaper than Cruz. I think he's .250 and 35 this year and why pay significantly more for Cruz? I'm scared to death of Joey Bats.
                      I also prefer Cruz and then Trumbo.

Maybe if we all feel that way, Bautista may come at a discount.

So now the question becomes what is the highest price you are willing to pay and still feel good about it?

$25 is about it for me.

Comment

Why not come up with a Plan B for RF and spend on 1B. You are talking about overspending on a guy you don't love and cutting corners at 1B. Flip the script.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Working...
                        X