Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the longest contract you have extended someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the longest contract you have extended someone?

Don't you hate it when owners give ungodly long contracts to players, locking them up nearly forever?
    Ten years ago I turned an expiring $5 Ryan Howard into a $30 monster ($5/yr x 5 yrs). A few years later I traded him to a contender who had to carry the load for a while.
    What's the longest you have extended a player?

I extended Trout from $5 to $25 in RJEL, but that was pretty safe it appears. I extended Goldschmidt from $5 to $20 in my NL-only and that's been good too.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I signed Stephen Drew to a four-year contract once, lol. But it was 2006 or 2007, so it wasn't so bad, and I am pretty sure he was long gone from my roster by the ugly end.

Comment

Me, three years. Record in any league I've been in is five for Albert Pujols.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Longest I've done is two years for Goldschmidt.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Two years, for Arenado. All others have only been one year.

Comment

We did the inaugural general public auction off the release of the Rotisserie book in 1984, with a Mets beat writer who was in the auction and had highly touted teenager Dwight Gooden. so another owner bought him for 5.

Our contracts were x x +5 etc after 2 years

so this was 5 5 10 15 20 25 30

lucky for the owner we had a modest buyout......

now at most you can do 5 5 10 15 and out
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 02-26-2017, 11:45 PM.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I think I gave my $3 Dante Bichette 4 years. I gave my $10 Pujols 3 years.

Comment

Longest for me was 2 years which I did for several players, including Ichiro (the equivalent of $20 contract for each of the extra years). None of the leagues I'm in now have the traditional contract-extension rule. One does have a "franchise" rule where you can extend 1 player for 1 extra year w no increase in salary.

Comment

3 year extension last offseason (NL-only) to Arenado at $20. Doing the same to Betts this year (18-team mixed) and likely Bogaerts (12-team AL) both for $20.

Generally I am 2-year max, 1 on pitchers if any but context is key. In leagues with high inflation and for top talents I think 3 years is ok for hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                      I extended Trout from $5 to $25 in RJEL, but that was pretty safe it appears. I extended Goldschmidt from $5 to $20 in my NL-only and that's been good too.
                      I did the same extension in my 12 team AL Only. I thought about going another year to $30, but liked having some value better. Besides that I don't think I have even gone beyond 2 before. I will be extending Betts for 3 to $20 I imagine in the future.

Comment

I agree with the 2 year on hitters one year on pitchers guideline. I've only gone 2 years on a pitcher a handful of times, most recently with Kershaw. (And I wish I'd have gone longer). I've only gone 3 years four times... Carl Crawford, Jose Reyes, Jeff Francour, and Byung Hung Kim (who I had for a dollar at the time.. this was the contract that tought me that 3 years on a pitcher is questionable at best)

the worst extension I've ever seen was 5 years on Mark Prior by a guy in my NL league who is a crazy cubs fanboy. In that league to get rid of a contract you had to pay 50% penalty per contract year to get rid of him, so he was stuck carrying that albratros for years. Every once in a while you still see 5 year - the most recent one I remember is Ryan Braun. (5 years to $30)

Comment

I went 4 years On Don Mattingly once - from 8 to 28 - and got to live through his Glory years. Brought me 2 Pennants - 2 seconds!!!!!

Yes I am old.

Now I do - the 2 for hitters and 1 for Pitchers - but am reluctant to do that. This year no extensions in Pony league. More inclined to do one in my AL only league. We do in My AL league have TOPPERS - and I will do that a lot.

Comment

depends on how you (or your league) defines "extension." trout is my longest tenured keeper ever though - he started on my minors squad, so i had him 1 year for free, two years at $4, and now he's in the last year of his $16 contract (3 years is the longest my main league allows keepers, including their option year).
                            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Pretty sure Trout's current contract in PONY was a 5-year extension, from $12 to $37

Comment

Working...
                              X